Are men and woman equal?

• Yes

Votes: 28 41.2%
  • No

Votes: 34 50.0%
  • unsure

Votes: 6 8.8%

• Total voters
Should they be equal? Absolutely. Are they in fact equal? Nopers... The fact that here in the U.S. despite all of our so-called cultural advancements we have never had a woman president or vice-president pretty much says it all about the "good 'ol boys" mentality/monopoly I think (at least in the political arena). Heck, the civil rights movement that provided a revolutionary turning point was NOT that long ago yet it's well documented women still earn less than their male counterparts for the exact same work. For a chronological timeline of global women's suffrage (right to vote) check out the following link:

http://www.ipu.org/wmn-e/suffrage.htm

By far and away, the majority have taken place within only the last century or so with some countries today still denying women that most basic right of an equal vote.

Re: Japan's issues of gender inequality, I don't think anyone will disagree that there exists a gross disparity in perceptions and actuality. I've always found it odd that I could enter any government office and see every female employee wearing the same uniform (imposed conformity?) while every male employee is entitled to wear their own apparel as they see fit. And to this day, I don't ever recall a male employee in said office ever bringing me tea or coffee when offered, rather that duty somehow always fell on the shoulders of the nearest female employee to drop whatever she was doing at the time...

Just some food for thought.
:cool:

Agreed, Iron Chef. We just like to think we have made progress when we really havent made much progress at all.

while every male employee is entitled to wear their own apparel as they see fit

hehe...my husband cannot wear whatever he wants, but he's not a government worker, of course. He must wear a suit and tie every single day, even though he has to work on very heavy and dangerous machinery. He is also not allowed to highlight his hair or grow facial hair.

I do know that he and the other men in his company do leave the coffee making and food fetching to the Okinawan secretary, though. They've got the American plant manager taking advantage of it too.

Well, first of all, I think one cannot answer this question just with a simple "yes" or "no". There are so many things you have to consider. And does the question mean equality in general, through the world, or just in Japan, U.S.A or...??
Because if we?re talking about the world in general, then no way, women and men are not even close to beeing equal. It really should be that way though. I think it?s in a way even silly to separate these "two races", men and women, since we are human. All of us.
Traditions vary from country to country, and I do feel it?s important to respect these traditions. To a certain limit. If the traditions don?t act as a 100% part of one?s life all the time it?s ok I think.
I think the question of being equal is quite personal in the end...every woman and man is different, and have their own feeling about just how equal they want to be. There should be the possibilities always though, to have the same jobs for example, and to choose if they want to be "housewifes" and "housemen"..(errmm...sorry for the clumsy expression :))

Equality in Finland is quite good, but there are some flaws. Some old customs, prejudices and so on that prevent women of doing some things freely etc. And the salary issue- women do have a worse paycheck in some jobs than the men doing the same job. That?s simply just_wrong_.

I think everyone just should have the freedom of being what they are, doing what they feel, without looking first if they?re women - or men.

moyashi said:
hmmm, I'm a guy. So, of course, I can only reply as one :)

I wonder how many Japanese get turned down for not having enough money? Or just looking not manly enough? Or just get turned down for being too short?

And I have to say to these questions presented by moyashi, that it?s really so stupid to turn down someone just because they don?t have enough money, or they are"too short".
Who actually even needs this kind of people, proud, cold and bitchy, just looking at the pretty picture, forgetting what?s inside?
Sure, looks do coun?t quite a lot in feeling attraction, but seriously, counting inches in somebodys height is just ridiculous. I say good luck and courage to you and your friends :)

Seems to me that this question of equal rights fails to recognise a key element. Rights cannot be attained in the absence of additional responsibility. When you gain a right, you have almost always done so at a cost to the benefits previously enjoyed by another party (rightly or wrongly). Often, these benefits have been coupled with increased responsibility. It seems to me that much of the 'equal rights for women' movement has essentially been about gaining rights for women but has deliberately avoided increasing the level of responsibility that women have to take for their lives. Thus men retain the majority of the burden but have lost many benefits over the last few decades.

women and men are not equal. they might only be equal in a very small area (sorry for the bad english) like between you and your partner, or you and very few friends.
but in general theyre not. first there are physical differences. then the stuff like who gets how much money for jobs. who gets what jobs at all. and then of course the way you are grown up by your parents. it already starts with them finding out ur a girl and dress you in pink when your little. then youre already pushed into a role. and even if we think we are free from those roles and expectations others put upon us, i dont know anyone who is. mostly it doesnt matter because most people are happy the way the society shaped them, but some are not.
but i guess im slowly sliding from the gender-equal topic to one about finding our true self (which is one of my fav topics) but which is not the subject of this discussion.
anyway, to sum it up in a nutshell, only among very few and good friends or ur partner (but im sure to 90% not even then) you are equal no matter your gender.

Gaijinandtonic said:
Seems to me that this question of equal rights fails to recognise a key element. Rights cannot be attained in the absence of additional responsibility. When you gain a right, you have almost always done so at a cost to the benefits previously enjoyed by another party (rightly or wrongly). Often, these benefits have been coupled with increased responsibility. It seems to me that much of the 'equal rights for women' movement has essentially been about gaining rights for women but has deliberately avoided increasing the level of responsibility that women have to take for their lives. Thus men retain the majority of the burden but have lost many benefits over the last few decades.

Not sure about feminism in Saudi Arabia :confused: but in lots of Western countries, 90% of women work, and that is an effect of feminism. 50 years ago, women would stay at home and care for the house and children only. Nowadays, they still do it but have to work (often full-time) on top of it. Even if they are now able to reach powerful position in companies or politics, I feel in average they have been the big looser in this system. Men have gained the right to take paternity leaves and don't need to work as much because their wife now bring an additional (and equal ! in some countries...) salary back home. I think that's the main reason why people work less and have more holidays nowadays than a few decades ago. But once again I have no idea on you can feel about that if you live in Saudi Arabia, where women cannot go out without permission or show their face in public. They have a lot of rights to gain there.

man, so many post, but i read them all :)

if you ask me the answer is no, man and woman are not equal and they shouldn't be. Please don't get me wrong i'm no talking about the rights in the society. You can find the answer of this question in the very basic principles of nature. The strong wins

man it's so sad to see that some women doesn't know how to use their power. Women are strong that's for shure but some of them are just emancipate bitches. They think of men just as a sex tool. You can easy say the same for some mens ;)

Anyway i think that both woman and men need each other to be complete :happy:

Mentally, yes they are equal.

But when it comes to the work place it seems like women aren't equal. Why? Because in hiring women they take the risk of someone that could sue at any time for sexual harrasment or have a child at anytime they like and make the company lose money during their maternity leave. So we get paid less. Yay.

Tch. What's the use of going to college as a woman for higher learning when the fact isn't even recognized by companies. But when men go to college companies are like, "Yay! You have a penis! We give you lots of money! WE GIIIIIVE!"

I wonder why I have this overwhelming urge to stab something/someone right now... ?___?

Oh, here's the thread with the poll included!! Sorry, I guess I responded to your other one that didn't include it. My answer for both threads is: Yes, men and women are equal--as human beings. Having said that, I don't think they are necessarily treated equally by society! :)

Koji said:
Men and women are not nessesarily equal . It is easy for men to gain in muscle . It's just because of the natural disin of men and women . In social statis in many countries women have to cover their faces and body intirly . Women arent aloud to talk, laugh or anything in public. In roalty Engalnd is one of the only countries where the female portion is in controll, in ancient Japanese government The Empirer is in control . In the USA women have never ben president and aren't expected to when elections[polls].
So men and women are equal in American rights but not everywhere .
Last year in Turkey a new law was past saying women can't wear shots, short sleaves, or sandels .

Last year in Turkey a new law was past saying women can't wear shots, short sleaves, or sandels

Could you give us an evident? Present the related law statement??

I live in Turkey. My sister sometimes wear miniskirt and of course bikini when we go to beach.

I just joined this group but now getting a little frustrated... People who have never seen or lived in Turkey TALK about Turkey... Be a little observant.

In most developed countries men and women are equal by law. However in the societies itself males still have more power, influence, better paid etc etc. I think that also has got to do with nature. lol I think that says enough hehe :)

I believe that they are equal as far as one not being more or less important then the other. But there are so many differences. I think they complement one another, where one is weak where the other is strong.

Ronin said:
I believe that they are equal as far as one not being more or less important then the other. But there are so many differences. I think they complement one another, where one is weak where the other is strong.
I agree what you're saying with the other is strong and one is weak part.

N.o.

Nope. You can blame the people who shut down the Equal Rights movement for that. Also, men and women have never been equal for the past 10 milleniums or so.

Here's proof

i think that men need to be liberated once again, our rights our sliding and we get treated worse slowly every day. just from what i have observed ;)

Question: why men behave with the women equally?
Answer: Because Women let them do this.
Reasons: ?

Question: why men do not treat women equally?
Answer: Because women let them do this.
Reason:?

Actually no, while I think they should be paid equally for the same work (they're not; women still earn about 70 cents to every dollar men receive in the western world) and while different doesn't have to mean unequal, there are many reasons why there is blatant inequality.

Schools of thought like religions (not all, just several major ones) and philosophy (Confucianism comes to mind) have all contributed to instilling the mindset that women should feel, act, and be treated as man's inferior. The truth is that women, from a bigger picture perspective, are far more important than men. That is especially obvious now biologically speaking, since we can combine female DNA and create viable embryos without any sperm. And I think subconsciously men have always felt peripheral to society, and thus have overcompensated for this in both good ways and bad.

To a limited extent I agree with Tariq - oppression continues today because there are women who are afraid to embrace a positive definition of feminism, and who do not appreciate that they now have more choices available to them (in the western worlds) even if they're not choosing the non-traditional options for themselves. Hardly anything angers me more than when women hinder progress for other women. I do not hate all men, but do resent that because men have more muscle and mass on the whole, generations of women have been oppressed in many ways by a subset of men who were insecure about their place in the world, and decided to propagate violence and other atrocious acts in order to subjugate women.

Last edited by a moderator:
mmm

Koji said:
Last year in Turky a new law was past saying women can't wear shots, short sleaves, or sandels .

i am from turkey but i d never heard of that???? :?

the first woman fighter pilot sabiha g?k?en is from turkey.she involved many hot missions. Her name was given to an airport. :)

turkey shows a heterogenious mass body...so daily life of people changes from east to west turkey,but to be a woman at turkey is not so different from any other countries.
we had a woman prime minister tansu ?iller...
and we got many active soldiers,police chiefs,fire fighters,navy captains and so on....

Now women have free choice to select a man of their choice, They should and could select a man that will treat them equally and if they feel he can not the women should clearly express their true feelings to him and if he refuse to change simply say good bye, you will eventually find your choice-Do not compromise on the phrase 'I Love Him' .

This thread has been viewed 77039 times.

Back