Are rarer traits headed for extinction?

firetown

Banned
Reaction score
I have just revisited a claim by Carvalli-Sforza that rh negative blood supposedly is headed for extinction since gene frequency is below 0.5.
the-claim-that-rh-negative-blood-might-go-extinct.jpg
I am curious as to how some of you would argue such a claim.

https://www.redcrossblood.org/learn-about-blood/blood-types.html

I think that it could happen, the number of negative seems to be dropping. This is also an interesting site for an Rh inheritance explanation

http://rhnegativeregistry.com/rh_negative_rare_and_basic_blood_types.html

I don't see what the reason could be. That would mean red hair would eventually also be gone?
As for the red blood page:
It is outdated. Their claim that blood type AB and O couples cannot produce AB or O children is wrong.

Yes, I saw that too. Interesting that a company that deals in collection of blood would have outdated info on their web pages.

Yes, I saw that too. Interesting that a company that deals in collection of blood would have outdated info on their web pages.

It's really amazing how on Quora for example medical professionals state similar things. The second link is from my friend Jessica Farrell's website. Some good info on there and one of the sites I first visited when I have gotten into all of this.

the genes will still be present since there is no real selection that leads to their extinction. its rather our globalized world and the fact that there are no natural borders anymore and also no natural selection.

you only have a- if both of your parents gaavee you an alllele for a-. most people with a- live in europe. and if there is migration where a population with a higher concentration of the a- allele mixes with one that has no allele the concentration will be lowered. and if the concentration is lowered the chance that you are homozygous for a- is getting smaller and smaller.

Last edited:
the genes will still be present since there is no real selection that leads to their extinction. its rather our globalized world and the fact that there are no natural borders anymore and also no natural selection.

you only have a- if both of your parents were a-. most people with a- live in europe. and if there is migration where a population with a higher concentration of the a- allele mixes with one that has no allele the concentration will be lowered. and if the concentration is lowered the chance that you are homozygous for a- is getting smaller and smaller.

Theoretically, would it mean(some day) RH- folk can die out if they need blood, and the percentage of RH- becomes smaller and smaller?

most people with a- live in europe.

Not really. On a national level, Australia appears to be the highest. Bedouins on the Sinai Peninsula are very high in rh negative blood. Up to 30% frequencies. Lots of inbreeding there, so the trait was preserved.

That is not the case, modern Europe is more RH-negative than Neolithic Europe:

https://www.eupedia.com/forum/threads/34625-Blood-types-in-ancient-Europe

Neolithic Europeans had only 4% of RH-negative blood, while today it is 16%.

my guess is that this is because of bias in the samples. neolithic europe was not homogenous. so it really matters from where and how many of these samples you have. it also matters if those sample come from farmers or from hunter gatherers living at the same time next to the farmers. late neolithic northern europe probably still had a considerable amount of hunter gatherer admixture while this admixture wasn't as high in southern european regions.

i highly doubt that it decreases from mesolithc to neolithic europe and then increases again. that makes no real sense. it probably was always that high or higher and was decreased by incoming farmers. but when the farmer mixed with the hunter gatherers during middle and late neolithic in increased in farmers but overall it decreased in the european population.

Last edited:
Oh gosh! I think someone has to teach the Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium principle to physicians :eek:

There will be cases. But frequency of such accidents would be too low to have a major impact.

Theoretically, would it mean(some day) RH- folk can die out if they need blood, and the percentage of RH- becomes smaller and smaller?

This thread has been viewed 5298 times.

Back