apie3000

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Ulster Scots, English, German, Swiss German, Probably Gaelic Irish
Y-DNA haplogroup
R-L21
mtDNA haplogroup
T1a1
I notice that here in the United States people of Ulster Scots or "Scots Irish" heritage as they call themselves tend to consider the Ulster Scots as a Celtic people. When ever anyone talks about the cultural and ethnic heritage of the American South they always call it Anglo-Celtic, the Celtic part being the Ulster Scots. However to my knowledge Ulster Scots have generally avoided and outright reviled the term Celtic historically in opposition to the Catholic Irish of Northern Ireland and most Ulster Scots are descended from Lowland Scots who historically were not Celtic rather a kind of Anglo Saxon ethnic group. So my question is basically this, are the Ulster Scots Celtic? Do they consider themselves Celtic nowadays? Do you consider them Celtic? Whats the deal?

Lowlands people are since a long time a mix of Angles people and of Celtic people of the surroundings (Highands and Western Southern Uplands) so surely not even a modern concept of English people: English people as a mean are a mix where dominates Celtic and pre-Celtic pops. Lowlands are even mor "Celtic" and less "Anglo-Saxon" than England s a whole, thought they have lost any celtic language since long ago.

Lowlands people are since a long time a mix of Angles people and of Celtic people of the surroundings (Highands and Western Southern Uplands) so surely not even a modern concept of English people: English people as a mean are a mix where dominates Celtic and pre-Celtic pops. Lowlands are even mor "Celtic" and less "Anglo-Saxon" than England s a whole, thought they have lost any celtic language since long ago.

Right, so genetically they obviously are descended predominately from Celtic tribes as are everyone who lives on the British Isles even the English. What I'm talking about is are they Celtic in regard to culture and identity? Ireland, Scotland, Wales, the Isle of Man, Cornwall, Brittany, and possibly Galicia in Spain are considered Celtic do to history, culture, and language, as well as descent giving them an identity as Celtic nations. My question basically is do the Ulster Scots consider themselves Celtic? And does anyone on here consider them Celtic in the same way as the Gaelic Irish or Highland Scots?

I would say they would consider themselves Celtic in much the same way as the Scots consider themselves Celtic. The main difference with the Irish Catholic is that Protestants see themselves as British whereas Catholics see themselves as Irish. Genetically they are very similar.

This thread has been viewed 4392 times.

Back