Ari* etymon has an PIE word for Nobility or Free Men Assembly

No, the word has a reconstructed proto-Afro Asiatic root *ħar, Semitic languages as well as Egyptian and Omotic (an extremely divergent branch in East Africa) all have the derived word with the same meaning; given that Afro-Asiaitc is really old (older than PIE by six millennia) I see it very likely to be a borrowing from Afro Asiatic (AA) to IE, there is linguistic evidence that AA languages influenced Elamite and Dravidian (here) both languages associated with Iran (a fact in the case of Elamite), we know from Lazaridis et al (genetic structure of the world's first farmers) that Iran Chalcolithic can be modelled as a mixture of the previous Iran Neolithic, CHG, and Levantine Neolithic, and we know that Steppe EBA can be modelled as EHG and Iran Chalcolithic, Levantine Neolithic lineages spread in the same areas that AA speakers would dominate, and they all have significant amounts of this ancestry, there is linguistic evidence that AA languages spread to Africa with farming (here).

I'll post them again:

Proto-Afrasian *ħar- ‘(vb.) to be superior, to be higher in status or rank, to be above or over; (n.) nobleman, master, chief, superior;

(adj.) free-born, noble’:

Semitic: Proto-Semitic *ħar-ar- ‘to be free-born, to be or become free, to set free’, *ħar(r)-/*ħur(r)- ‘noble, free-born’ > Hebrew ḥōr ‘noble’; Arabic ḥurr ‘noble, free-born; free, independent’, ḥarra ‘to liberate, to free, to set free, to release, to emancipate’, ḥurrīya ‘freedom, liberty, independence, unrestraint, license’; Aramaic ḥərar ‘to be or become free’; Ugaritic ḥrr ‘free’; Sabaean ḥrr ‘freemen, free-born men’; Geez / Ethiopic ḥarāwi ‘free-born, nobleman’, ḥarāwənnā ‘freedom’, ḥarənnat ‘freedom’; Tigrinya ḥara ‘free’, ḥarənnät ‘freedom’; Tigre ḥara ‘free; freedom’; Amharic hurr ‘free’; Gurage hurru bālä ‘to become free, to set free’.

Egyptian ḥry ‘chief, master, overseer, superior’, ḥr ‘on, upon, over’, ḥrw ‘upper part, top’; Coptic hi- [xi-] (< *ḥaryaw) ‘on, in, at’, hray [xrai] ‘upper part’.

Omotic: North Omotic: Yemsa / Janjero herašo ‘chief, ruler’, herašo ‘chieftainship, rule’.

have there been tentatives of explanation for the complete lost of H- in all the I-E languages (ssupposed loanwords here)? Just a question.

have there been tentatives of explanation for the complete lost of H- in all the I-E languages (ssupposed loanwords here)? Just a question.

I don't think there has been any attempt at that, if my hypothesis is true, it could have been through an intermediary population that was still in Iran/Caucasus before their movement to the steppe.

Remember that this is all hypothetical, it may never have happened at all.

In Albanian *AR* (gold)

And *ARË* (field)

AR ''argjiria'' (coins) old.Gr + ARË ''arura'' (field) Byzantine Gr.
Is it a coincidence that these words are almost similar in Albanian?
The colour of a wheat field is 'gold', could this be the reason for these words having almost the same pronunciation?
Gold = Yellow

This thread has been viewed 10157 times.

Back