Boian Culture (4500bc) - Shulaveri descendents?

Olympus Mons

Reaction score
Boian… Yes, Boian!
So, what happen to the Shulaverians (Shulaveri-Shomu) moving West?
We know that the ones fleeing to the passages into Kuban river became Svobodnoe, Mesokho, etc. Lets make another digital connection never done before.
I had already said that the Kumtepe girl (KUM6) was a fleeing Shulaveri girl. But what about the rest?
two words: Boian Culture.
Well, some call it Giuleşti-Mariţa culture, and sometimes is confused with Gumelniţa culture to which it merged or evolved to. On the other hand, some call it Gumelniţa–Karanovo VI culture. So, lots of stuff to look into. Nevertheless the focus should remain in Boian culture. They are important because their phases describe perfectly an arriving population (Bolintineanu Phasa), rapidly settling in.
By 4500-4400bc, they are seen arriving.
One can see that easily even on datasets from Mathieson papers on south Balkans and others. One can even see how, after a Hiatus full of G2a and I2a, samples dated to this period (4500bc – 4000bc) we see the return of R1b.
First just make their oval houses lean to or dug pit-houses of wattle and daub structures. Them they settled in and started to become more elaborated and settlements more permanent. Its believed that the Shulaveri painted the interior of their houses with red ochre with plastic motifs (so did the Boian). Boian culture showed an Hierarchy between settlements (so did shulaveri). Boian used ditches and defensive enclosures (so was seen in Shulaveri). And copper, and anthropomorphic figurines, etc.
Its also noteworthy to mentioned that Boian showed Horse (Equus ferus) and Dog.

And I would not be me, if I didn’t mentioned something strange: The Boian are the first to show snakes in pottery ornamentation… And who dislodged the Shulaveri-Shomu from Transcaucasia?- the snake people: Ubaid, Hassuna and Uruk! Where does the oldest story and myth about snakes come from? Oldest PIE!
Those things are obviously circumstantial, but there is the connection and aDna will tell the rest. As I read more about them, I will certainly draw a better picture.

Now, two facts are important: one is that Boian had a metamorphose into the mentioned Gumelniţa and start mixing with LBK people and merged to the The Boian culture ended through a smooth transition into the Gumelniţa culture,[3] which also borrowed from the Vădastra culture.
And a part of the Boian society moved to the northeast along the Black Sea coast, encountering the Hamangia culture where they merged to form the Cucuteni-Trypillian culture.
And CT, has the previous described societies, has a story not yet told by aDna, or linguistic for that matter. And if Maykop is not a Leila-tepe extension… most believe that they were a CT derived society. Would it not make the story tremendously confusing?
If they were PIE, R1b and moving east by the black sea cost… as other derived of Shulaveri would be there straight from Transcaucasia.
And what a show it would be…. If L51 was born in Boian. Well I would be wrong about Merimde-Beni-Salama, for starters!

https://r1b2westerneurope.blogs.sapo.pt/boian-yes-boian-6736

Thanks for posting this. You have piqued my interest in the Boian culture. I admit that I had until now assumed that it was a Neolithic Balkan culture derived from Starcevo-Körös-Cris, but the link with Shulaveri-Shomu is interesting. What are your sources for this?

The Boian culture was just at the western extremity of the Pontic Steppe, and since they had horses there might have been some Steppe influence, but I very much doubt that R1b-L51 originated there.

The Kemi-Oba culture in Crimea, contemporary to Yamna and Maykop, is also interesting as a potential place of origin for R1b-L51. They may be the Stellae people that Jean Manco mentioned in her book.

And if Maykop is not a Leila-tepe extension… most believe that they were a CT derived society.

I have never heard that Maykop is descended from the Cucuteni-Trypillian culture. Who are you referring to when you say "most believe"?

Thanks for posting this. You have piqued my interest in the Boian culture. I admit that I had until now assumed that it was a Neolithic Balkan culture derived from Starcevo-Körös-Cris, but the link with Shulaveri-Shomu is interesting. What are your sources for this?

The Boian culture was just at the western extremity of the Pontic Steppe, and since they had horses there might have been some Steppe influence, but I very much doubt that R1b-L51 originated there.

The Kemi-Oba culture in Crimea, contemporary to Yamna and Maykop, is also interesting as a potential place of origin for R1b-L51. They may be the Stellae people that Jean Manco mentioned in her book.

I have never heard that Maykop is descended from the Cucuteni-Trypillian culture. Who are you referring to when you say "most believe"?

Hi Maciamo.
a. No such thing as linking Shulaveri to anything, papers. I am it. However if you mean about singularities and novelty of Zau/Boian/Gulmelnita just read Harvella 2015 genetic paper, "Ancient DNA from South-East Europe Reveals Different Events during..." its all there. just read the abstract and its enough to understand what I mean.
Mathieson found some R1b at that period after a long period of G2a and I2a. Nevertheless I didn't "get it" from this paper. I "got to it" after noticing the singularities at Mathieson and looking for what was out there at those dates. And boom. really obvious at least to me. - Note: if Mathieson and reich wasn't really looking for R1a or R1b warriors from the steppe, they would have notice the 60 samples form this culture ready to be extracted Dna. But it is what it is. This were too southern too thracian.

b. No, they are southern Romania, and Bulgaria . So, not steppic at all. All assume (read some of papers from Harvella references) they came from Northwern anatolia, remember the KUM6 girl.

c. No. Kemi-Oba culture is not it. L51 is from this cultures or even Cucuteni. We will see who is right. :) --- I still say 30% probability l51 born in Merimde beni salama. That's how crazy it gets.

d. Lol, yes my "most believe" is guys I argued with in the past. To me I only find references to Leila-tepe. But some people (some very knolwdege) have argue with me that the Varna way was transferred by something Trypillian to make Maykop. I am confused. However U8 was in both cultures if I remember correctly.... but maykop also showed mtdna M. I can't find the paper that mentioned it. Do you remember any paper on Mtdna for Maykop?
note: what is your take on Maykop?

This thread has been viewed 3364 times.

Back