Brighton Rocks

smoke

Read It And Weep
Messages
158
Reaction score
15
Points
0
Location
London
For anyone wanting a bit of "London-on-sea" i would recommend Brighton.

Treat it like a major city, ie; there is some povety, some dirty little scroats, graffiti...but something about the place, i don't know what it is...it just has a charm about it.

People hate it, people love it...but in my book, it's bang on.

The main high street is a bit crappy, but The Lanes are fantastic...a nice little italian restaurant that serves a good full englsih breakfast (yeah, go figure!), crazy novelty shops, stylish boutiques, second hand jewellers, a gun shop (yeah, not quite sure about that one either), designer shops, loads of bars and restaurants...

Anyway, that's my 2 cents!

Peace
 
Mycernius said:
Why not mention the fact that it has a nudist beach in the town?
Do i strike you as the sort of person who would frequent a nudist beach?
I mean, really!
:p
To be perfectly honest though, i didn't realise. I'll bear that in mind for my next visit!
 
Yup, I love Brighton too! Especially the beach and the Pier!!!! I remember getting drunk at the Pier with my friends and we stumbled around playing weird computer-games.....

I love Brighton too!!! I wish I could visit again soon. :wave:
 
errr...Actually I spent a whole term in there and you forgot to mentiont that it's UK's gay capital :p
Anyway it sure was fun...I met a lot more people in 6 months than in 21 years in Paris...
 
my brother's in brightone.... *misses him*
well.... i went there at easter..... they had some nice shops.... some gooood cookies.... a great milkshake place where they will litrally make anything into a milkshake for you.... a manga store... wasn't a very big selection, however they did have kabuki, which i'd been looking for for a while... veggie shoe shops.... pretty chinese guys to stalk :D
 
well sure for manga/comics you'd better go to london since dave's shop and borders (I'm not even sure anymore if it was this one) don't have lot of mangas. As for asian...well most of them are in Hove ^^'
Although I got to know a lot living near falmer...
 
lol, yup.. london..... i almost died when i whent downstairs in forbidden planet... so much manga!
and yet the STILL didn't have volume 2 of kill me kiss me >.<
lol.

oooo i forgot to mention the oriental supermarket thing..... htey had POCKEY! *jumps up and down* :D
 
haha still it's expensive to buy them in england >_<
I pay about 6-7??/manga in UK while it costs me about 5-6??/volume in France and about 3-4?? in hong kong >_<
 
dreamer said:
errr...Actually I spent a whole term in there and you forgot to mentiont that it's UK's gay capital :p
Yeah i did forget, my bad.
But not being gay, it's not something i really took into account whilst visiting or choosing to visit.
I always think of Soho as the UKs gay capital...simply because it's londons gay capital...and living in london and being a londoner, we tend not to see outside of the M25!!! Don't know why.
 
dreamer said:
haha still it's expensive to buy them in england >_<
I pay about 6-7??/manga in UK while it costs me about 5-6??/volume in France and about 3-4?? in hong kong >_<
eeeee that's so much CHEAPER!
.... damn the british and their stingyness.... *grrs at them*
yeah... i wish i could read french.... well, it's not that i cant read it, more i can't understand it ^^;... otherwise i could quite easily by all my manga in french >.<
i bught some of the net... well it was translated, but into chinese, lol... anyway... it was only £3/2.50.... i as like OMIGOD the cheapness! *yoink*
here... we got a deal, 3 for £15... but.. it's still quite a lot considering how damn cheap it is in Japan....
 
smoke said:
Yeah i did forget, my bad.
But not being gay, it's not something i really took into account whilst visiting or choosing to visit.
I always think of Soho as the UKs gay capital...simply because it's londons gay capital...and living in london and being a londoner, we tend not to see outside of the M25!!! Don't know why.
Well actually I had one of the weirdest encounter during my first days in brighton ^^'
I had met a girl several days sooner and we were having a conversation on the phone (actually she unexpectedly phoned me) and before I realized it my flatmates had me dragged out and I was inside one of these smoky and loud pubs of kemptown. Then I suddently felt a hand on my shoulder and I noticed it was kinda hairy, but when I completely turned to face the person, it was actually a crossdresser and he was saying stuff like "you know, you're cute, we don't see much asian here" >_<

I was like "Wuuut?" :shock:

furan said:
eeeee that's so much CHEAPER!
.... damn the british and their stingyness.... *grrs at them*
yeah... i wish i could read french.... well, it's not that i cant read it, more i can't understand it ^^;... otherwise i could quite easily by all my manga in french >.<
i bught some of the net... well it was translated, but into chinese, lol... anyway... it was only £3/2.50.... i as like OMIGOD the cheapness! *yoink*
here... we got a deal, 3 for £15... but.. it's still quite a lot considering how damn cheap it is in Japan....
Well...I can hardly decipher chinese (although I'm fluent when it comes to speaking) but french isn't more difficult than english to my mind :p
As for japanese it's kinda easy to read since in lot of mangas you have the hiraganas next to the kanjis, but when it comes to understand it... :relief:
 
lol... o.... i don;t understand a single thing in the chinese ^^;
i have a friend who's from hnog knog ans he transated it for me. my speeking.... i know about 3 phrases ^^;
japanese is definatly easier to read... but yes... the understanding it however....
 
dreamer said:
Well actually I had one of the weirdest encounter during my first days in brighton ^^'
I had met a girl several days sooner and we were having a conversation on the phone (actually she unexpectedly phoned me) and before I realized it my flatmates had me dragged out and I was inside one of these smoky and loud pubs of kemptown. Then I suddently felt a hand on my shoulder and I noticed it was kinda hairy, but when I completely turned to face the person, it was actually a crossdresser and he was saying stuff like "you know, you're cute, we don't see much asian here" >_<

I was like "Wuuut?" :shock:
I think that's about as stange as it gets!
 
furan said:
lol... o.... i don;t understand a single thing in the chinese ^^;
i have a friend who's from hnog knog ans he transated it for me. my speeking.... i know about 3 phrases ^^;
japanese is definatly easier to read... but yes... the understanding it however....
haha ^^'
I think I met like a dozen of students from hong kong there in Brighton...they were quite impressed that a chinese born in france is able to speak fluently cantonese and mandarin ^^'

smoke said:
I think that's about as stange as it gets!

Well tell you the best part, after this night, I found out that out of my four flatmates (2 guys 2 girls) one of the guys is gay and one of the girl's lesbian while the 2nd girl's bisexual :relief:
 
hee hee, that's so cool.
you can speek both cantonese and manderin? that's impressive by it's self! gees... bi lingual much? ^.^ *is jelious*
i can barely master english ^^;


... that sound like an interesting house hold...
lol, strange indeed indeed... but.... i've experianced stnger..... in leicester of all places >.<
 
well...I used to watch a lot of mandarin cartoons and movies when I was but a kid, and my parents speak cantonese, therefore I can express my needs in mandarin and I can handle a more complicate conversation without problem in cantonese (although reading/writing is another problem).
Beside since I was born in France...well, french's not a problem either. In addition I've been learning english for almost 10 years so...I have let's say a junior high schooler's level ^^'
Now the real problem is for me to learn kanjis in japanese...it's so difficult to learn all their meanings and so... >_<

As for my experience in Brighton, well I am sure there's stranger, but still all my friends were shocked when they heard about it :p
 
dreamer said:
Well tell you the best part, after this night, I found out that out of my four flatmates (2 guys 2 girls) one of the guys is gay and one of the girl's lesbian while the 2nd girl's bisexual :relief:
Now that sounds like a cool party!!! or a good plot for a film!
 
well... you still have this movie from cedric klapisch : the spanish apartment ^^'
 
waw, that's an impressive linguistic history, you're really lucky.
i wish i'd been brought up in a bilingual environment... then maybe i wouldn;'t have struggled so much trying to learn new ones... or mabe i would have strugggled even more seeing as it's aken 17 years for me to grasp the basics of english, and i'm still no good at it >.<

lol, yeah, i'm sure you're friends would have been shocked... i gues i'm just used to that kinda thing...
 

This thread has been viewed 38143 times.

Back
Top