California school district to "affirm" ebonics

cicatriz esp

Reaction score
Ethnic group
welsh/english
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=45334

District to 'affirm' Ebonics
'It should be considered a foreign language'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: July 18, 2005
8:26 p.m. Eastern

? 2005 WorldNetDaily.com

A school district in Southern California approved the "affirmation and recognition" of Ebonics into its curriculum as a way to help black students improve academic performance.

The San Bernardino Board of Education says a pilot of the policy, known as the Students Accumulating New Knowledge Optimizing Future Accomplishment Initiative, has been implemented at two city schools, according to the daily San Bernardino Sun.

Ebonics, a dialect of American English spoken by many blacks, was recognized as a separate language by the Oakland, Calif., school board in 1996.

Mary Texeira, a sociology professor at Cal State San Bernardino, believes the program will be beneficial to students.

"Ebonics is a different language, it's not slang as many believe,' Texeira told the Sun. "For many of these students Ebonics is their language, and it should be considered a foreign language. These students should be taught like other students who speak a foreign language."

Texeira acknowledged there are African Americans who disagree with her.

"They say that [black students] are lazy and that they need to learn to talk," she said.

The program, which will be implemented gradually, begins this fall when teachers receive training on black culture and customs. The district curriculum will include information on the historical, cultural and social impact of blacks in society.

Len Cooper, coordinator of the pilot program at the two city schools, said Ebonics won't actually be incorporated into the program, because of its "stigma."

"We are affirming and recognizing Ebonics through supplemental reading books for students," he explained.

Although the program is aimed at black students, other students can choose to participate, the Sun reported.

Board member Danny Tillman told the paper he pushed for the policy because he hoped it would increase the number of black students going to college and participating in advanced courses.

But Teresa Parra, board vice president, worries other minority groups, including Hispanics, will want their own programs.

"I've always thought that we should provide students support based on their needs and not on their race," she said.

Ratibu Jacocks, a member of a coalition of black activists ? the Westside Action Group ? said they are working with the district to ensure the policy is implemented appropriately.

"This isn't a feel-good policy. This is the real thing," said Jacocks.

He welcomes the idea of other ethnic groups lobbying for their own program.

"When you are doing what's right, others will follow,' Jacocks said. "We have led the way before the civil-rights movement opened the door for women's rights and other movements."

Once again, California makes a great stride towards having the worst public school system in the nation. "Ebonics" is certainly an American dialect, but I would say it's harmful to the students to incorporate it officially.

I dont really understand things like this. Hell, maybe it is a language. Of course I live in Kentucky and have yet to see hillbillyonics taught in schools.
This country is more fragmented than a box of sand. Everyone has their own agenda and noone is looking out for the country as a whole. Oh well, if you can't beat 'em. join 'em. I'm enrolling in an Ebonics course at my local college as soon as its offered.

/Selah

Ebonics? Interesting, I never heard that one, I only knew Black English or Black Vernacular English. What an interesting euphemism(?), too. Trees?

Calling it a language is also a bit strange (depends on the definition, though). I'd say it's an English dialect. Foreign language? Ridiculous!

It probably is a language. I think the way it works is this: immigrants come into a country and make an attempt at the language of that country as adults - this is a pidgin. The next generation learn this pidgin as children, but as they impose their innate knowledge of grammar on the pidgin it evolves into a creole, which is a type of language. Black English (Ebonics, eh?) is a creole, and therefore a language. However, I think some people question the classification of a creole as a separate language. And there is also the possibility that I misunderstood the whole theory, so if someone wants to correct me, please do!

Wen da strange tings clutta da clea communication, ...

da rule of tumb be ta simplify an' ta complexify at da same time. Fo da example; dere be da dialect of Ebonics call da Webonics az in da belo. :biggrin:

ebonics.jpg

If Ebonics is anything close to what's depicted in the comic strip, then it should be classified as a variety of English both born in an English speaking environment and currently spoken in the area as a dialect or slang of English. What's wrong with calling it a slang for the unique ways of speech that distinguish it from the media standard ?

Tsuyoiko is probably right in considering Ebonics as a kind of creole born out of a pidginized language; yet to consider it a language separate from English due to its unique phonetics and phonology, vocabulary, morphology, and syntax would become meaningless outside the English environment that Ebonics is imbedded in. To further call Ebonics a foreign language would depend on what kind of language study/language policy some educators want to conduct/apply; nevertheless calling it foreign would naturally require a distinct area outside the English speaking territories where Eboincs is spoken independent of English.

Otherwise, the characterization of Ebonics as a 'foreign language' would be misleading-- movements based on forced claims rarely last long enough to achieve either the advancement of science or the desired effects of political correctness that already proved ineffective in the case of affirmative action. Are there no other creative and inspiring ways to reduce the name calling and to promote a more flexible English by expanding the language registers ?

Last edited:
From Rutgers:

"dialect: regional form of a language. Over long periods of time, dialects can grow into distinct languages. Languages vary by geographical region, social class, educational level, and even individual speaker. The term dialect designates a definable regional variant: more loosely, it is often used for social and other variations as well. Theoretically, speakers of different dialects of the same language can understand each other, while speakers of different languages cannot. But in reality there is a great range of intelligibility, and the difference between a language and a dialect cannot be defined with objective, scientific precision. Political boundaries and nationalistic concerns often play a vital role in defining the difference, as is in the case of Low German and Dutch or Czech and Slovak."

The development of languages from dialects "over long periods of time" presents an interesting point. Spanish, French, Italian - all the romance languages - are derivated from Latin. So technically speaking, they could all be considered to be dialects of Latin: they are split geographically and are all from the same base language. However, as the definition suggets, the extended period of time allowed the dialect to develop into a unique (or not so unique?) language. The seeming fusion of Spanish and French (and some Italian), for example, in Catalan provides an interesting case study. (A web page in Catalan) Catalan is recognized as a unique language, not as a dialect of French or Spanish (or Italian). It's actual history is from Vulgar Latin - a vernacular dialect of Latin. However, it is not related to what we call present-day Spanish, French or Italian.

Another question to ask is: are British English, Australian English, and American English all different languages or dialects? There are several dialects of American English and British English (I'm sure there are of Australian, but I'm not familiar with them), so would that constitute each English as a different language? Or would the dialects of these subdivisions be considered something different? Perhaps ethnolects are the proper term to reserve for each geographical subdivision - or maybe a new term: geolects? (Though I think that's pushing it.) If we don't reserve ethnolects for geographical subdivisions, then we can apply it to the dialects related to cultural/ethnic divisions: such as ebonics.

I think I'll have to disagree with this one. I honestly don't see Ebonics as a language period. To me, it's just broken English. Maybe I'm saying this because of the way I was raised, I was taught that speaking Ebonics made you sound ignorant. And whenever I hear people speak at times I think they probably can't put together a sentence in plain Standard English. Lexico I don't see how you find that awful way of speaking "unique" I don't want to sound like I'm being a b**** but in my opinion it's not even really a language. :sorry:

This thing again? I thought it died in Oakland! I taught in the San Bernardino School system for four years, and now I work at a high school about 20 miles east of there. Less than 20% of the students are African American, and the majority understand where your street dialect should stop and academic (standard) English should begin. Many would never speak Ebonics (as it may make you look ignorant in some circles). And I don't think most of these kids speak "Ebonics" most of the time to most people anyway. I know some African American teachers who will sometimes slip into dialect, some times conciously for effect, sometimes unconciously. It has rules, patterns, a rhythm, and a definite sound.

Bossel, you might look this one up. It is right up your alley. Ebonics is a fancy name for Black English. I understand that it is a dialect of English that may have influence from a language called "Gullah", Carribean dialects and some creole languages from the Gulf area. At the core is the Scotch English/ Southern style American "drawl." It's not lazy, broken or "bad" English. It's roots go back to slavery- In the movie Glory there is a wonderful scene where the black soldiers come upon newly freed slaves, and one- who was born a free man and raised in Massachuessets can't understand anything they are saying. In the last century, as African Americans moved North and West into larger cities, the dialect shifted and I think became a concious identity marker for those living in urban areas. I also think that in the 20th century it had a huge influence on popular culture- on movies, literature, poetry and music.

I have no clue what the San Bernardino City schools are going to do with this. It just seems strange and unnecessary- like it is addressing a problem or need that doesn't really exist. Application is the key- the devil is in the details.

I would point out that in the African American community, that had been some efforts made to teach black students that using Ebonics was improper and that it shows that African Americans in general cannot use Standard English. Maybe it's okay to use Ebonics around close friends, of course this has brought on some problems such as being asked "why do you talk white?" I mean really, what's wrong with talking like you have sense? :p And yes it is true that not only blacks use Ebonics.

Ma Cherie said:
And yes it is true that not only blacks use Ebonics.

Very true, the Director of UJAMAA at Cornell (don't know exactly what it stands for, but it's essentially a themed living center around African and African-American culture) is white but I always here him speaking in Ebonics with other students.

Ma Cherie-
It sounds like you are speaking from experience. Most of the African American parents (but definitely not all) and teachers I speak with express a similar opinion. Especially one of my friends, Kay, who is a teacher in San Bernardino City, with kids that are honor students and one who attends Stanford. She insists on proper, standard English-- especially from African American students. She sees even the hint of Ebonics as not only a choice, but an unnecessary disadvantage. ("You already have two strikes against you..." begins her rebuke...)

Indeed there have been either concerned or sympathetic views regarding what used to called Black English (now Ebonics) all for valid reasons of their own. Constance Clayton of Philadelphia was more concerned that to encourage Black English would encourage the ghetto spirit, saying,
I consider Black English a dialect of a particular ethnic group - the Blacks. I consider it incorrect English. I would want an understanding of it, and appreciation of it, as we would for other dialects,..., but we should never lose sight of the need to provide for our young people access to Standard English, which is really a gateway for them to the broader community....
I know of no company or corporation which hires you on the basis of your ability to speak Black English....
I have yet to find Black English as being beneficial in filling out a job application. Somehow those questions are not phrased in Black English...That's a very valid reason for the utilization and understanding of Standard English. If a person is interviewing for a job, I think if you said, "I've come to asks you for a job," rather than "ask you for a job: I think the potential employer might be somewhat confused."
Nevertheless the 1979 Ann Arbor school district was ordered by the court to take the Black English of the schoolchildren into account when planning the curriculum. The judge then summarized,
All of the distinquished researchers and professionals testified as to the existence of a language system which is part of the English language but different in significant respects from the Standard English used in the school setting, the commercial world, the world of the arts and science, among the professionals, and in government. It is.has been used at some time by 80% of the Black people of this country and has as its genesis the transitional or pidgin language of the slaves, which after a generation or two became a creole language. Since then it has constantly been refined and brought colser to the mainstream of society. It stil flourishes in areas where there are concentrations of Black people. It contains aspects of southern dialect and is used largely by Black people in their casual and informal talk.
It is not immediately clear how the curriculum might have gone; but bringing proper attention to the language/culture of Afroamericans has in itself value for the self-recognition if nothing else.

If by saying Ebonics needs to be studied as a foreign language they meant students should be given an opportunity to study Eboincs in a scintific way, that could benefit both Afroamericans and non-Afroamericans by increasing the understanding of the various communication modes found in the US. If it also meant that certain Afroamericans who mostly spoke Ebonics but are not fluent in Standard English should also study Standard English as any other 'foreign student,' then their purpose of calling Ebonics 'foreign' becomes understandable.

However, they should definitely use a more differentiating term. Positive recognition and non-aggressive integration would mean quite different things when applied to recent immigrants speaking a genuine foreign language and Afroamericans speaking an ethnic dialect. It's not all bad; just needing a better way of expressing the idea.

Last edited:
A school board can declare Ebonics a language, but it doesn't make it one. It just shows that professional educators and elected school boards are only human.

I think this is probably more of America trying to be overly PC. I must admit I am a bit dissapointed to hear about this. I never knew about this going on in Oakland, and now San Bernadino. I'm extremely dissapointed to hear this, though. I have cousins who live in Oakland, and growing up with them, I know at home they use Ebonics, but I just assumed it would end there. After all, I find nothing wrong with it in a casual setting. But knowing that my cousins are in an area that encourages them to speak incorrectly? How will that look to the rest of the world when they become working professionals who can't speak their own language? This has nothing to do with speaking 'white' or 'black'; this has to do with utilizing proper grammar for the language you were raised speaking. Ebonics is not a language. It's slang, through and through. Even calling it a 'dialect' is taking things a bit far. Why should my cousins have a dissadvantage because their skin is different? Why should they be babied and fooled into believeing that using improper grammer is okay? How is that fair to them? How will that help them? I fully intend to use the English language to the best of my ability. I may not be black (my cousins are half), but even if they decided to start programs for kids who were Hispanic, why should I participate? If they started them for white kids, why should I participate? Why would anyone want to say, 'Look, they made this just for me so that I don't have to speak the same 'language' as you'? There are whites in this country who can't speak english correctly. Should we start a program for them? Should we tell them, 'Oh, it's okay. You don't have to use proper grammar. We'll just tell people you're speaking a different language'? Is that right? I've heard white adults saying things in public like 'I finded it!' Is that a dialect? If so, then why does it make me feel like those people are shaming part of my heritage by speaking it? Why should we reinforce this? It's bad enough that some grammatical errors are so widely used that no one even notices them (i.e. you did good. Good is an adjective. You cannot do an adjective. You can do an adverb, like well. You did well.). Why should we encourage this? I feel this is a shameful mistake that needs to be corrected.

drain_away said:
I think this is probably more of America trying to be overly PC. I must admit I am a bit dissapointed to hear about this. I never knew about this going on in Oakland, and now San Bernadino. I'm extremely dissapointed to hear this, though. I have cousins who live in Oakland, and growing up with them, I know at home they use Ebonics, but I just assumed it would end there. After all, I find nothing wrong with it in a casual setting. But knowing that my cousins are in an area that encourages them to speak incorrectly? How will that look to the rest of the world when they become working professionals who can't speak their own language? This has nothing to do with speaking 'white' or 'black'; this has to do with utilizing proper grammar for the language you were raised speaking. Ebonics is not a language. It's slang, through and through. Even calling it a 'dialect' is taking things a bit far. Why should my cousins have a dissadvantage because their skin is different? Why should they be babied and fooled into believeing that using improper grammer is okay? How is that fair to them? How will that help them? I fully intend to use the English language to the best of my ability. I may not be black (my cousins are half), but even if they decided to start programs for kids who were Hispanic, why should I participate? If they started them for white kids, why should I participate? Why would anyone want to say, 'Look, they made this just for me so that I don't have to speak the same 'language' as you'? There are whites in this country who can't speak english correctly. Should we start a program for them? Should we tell them, 'Oh, it's okay. You don't have to use proper grammar. We'll just tell people you're speaking a different language'? Is that right? I've heard white adults saying things in public like 'I finded it!' Is that a dialect? If so, then why does it make me feel like those people are shaming part of my heritage by speaking it? Why should we reinforce this? It's bad enough that some grammatical errors are so widely used that no one even notices them (i.e. you did good. Good is an adjective. You cannot do an adjective. You can do an adverb, like well. You did well.). Why should we encourage this? I feel this is a shameful mistake that needs to be corrected.

Here here! Though, it could still be considered a dialect - it has been around for hundreds of years.

hahaha, this is pretty funny, however the thing that interests me is the requirements for the teacher teaching the class. What do you know, snoop dogg may after all be a licensed educator :blush:

Hasn't all slang? I think its status as dialect is still questionable, but its at least within more reason than it being classified as an actual language.

Duo: :D That would be hillarious!

It has been reported to me that many american students graduating from high school still have difficulty in regular english, and now introducing this will only make things worse. Hopefully is just the case of a dellusioned superintended who still has dreams of high school glory and is trying to re-live them ;)

I'm teaching English in China right now, and you wouldn't believe some of the questions my students ask me. Things like, 'but this American person writes that when they email me, so isn't it correct?' It's very difficult (and embarassing) trying to explain why it is that working adults from America don't use proper English when they are corresponding with foreigners. :( I am ashamed...

drain_away said:
It's very difficult (and embarassing) trying to explain why it is that working adults from America don't use proper English when they are corresponding with foreigners. :( I am ashamed...

I'm sure you don't, but just make sure you don't generalize. There are plenty of ignorant people who think that by speaking slower and with less words, non-native english speakers will understand them better, but not everyone is like that. Seriously, some people talk with more sense to their dogs than they do to foreigners - that's something to be very ashamed about (and I am).

Also, surely some of these cases relate to vernacular that has become an "integral" part of American English? When I correspond with penpals and friends from other countries, I make sure I'm speaking proper English. It doesn't help them if I speak improperly and they are trying to improve their English abilities.

This thread has been viewed 1842 times.

Back