Classify pretty Sicilian girl

More common in south Sicily as far as i know but also founded in Catania, a girl who worked with me from Catania is called Spiteri.

G2 is a common haplogroup in Agrigento so I am not surprised some of these surnames score it, especially the ones that are common in that region. Malta is basically an extension of Sicily in many ways, though isolation may have allowed some genes to be preserved that were lost in Sicily for whatever reason.

Malta have also the higher density population of Europe.

The question I'd have is, Maltese surnames of Semitic origin.. since Maltese was a language once spoken in Sicily under Moorish rule, did these surnames once exist in Sicily and then get carried to Malta, where they now exist exclusively?

Probably some of these surnames were italianized (Vadal? could be a good example) and other were deleted with the deportation/expulsion of the muslims of Sicily by Federico II.

One other surname question for Hauteville and Maleth -- how common are Greek origin surnames in Sicily and Malta? I've seen some that are obviously of Greek roots (names like "Garoppolo", "Sinopoli", "Tringali" and the like) that have equivalents in Greek, but are they common in Malta too?

There have been alot of misconceptions in regards to surnames. Surnames really derived from nicknames. The use of surnames became more important under norman rule who encouraged fixed family names as they held records for lands tenure. Previous historians always thought that semetic sounding surnames where automatically Arab or berber in origin. This is not the case. We have surnames like Micallef that is in the dna project and is I2 and in top ten surnames in Malta. Other very semetic sounding is Buhagiar (dna J2). Borg the most popular surname is J1. Butiegig Abdilla and so on. These surnames where nick names (more like trade names for the families that at some point changed from Father to son but with the new Norman systems they had to be inherited and kept from one generation to the other. These names where created when Siculo Arabic was the lingua franka (which is still alive in Maltese but getting weaker with each generation). So in other words the sound of a surname does not reflect ethnicity in any way but a family nick name during the Aglabite / fatmid era that was later concealed as a surname.

One other surname question for Hauteville and Maleth -- how common are Greek origin surnames in Sicily and Malta? I've seen some that are obviously of Greek roots (names like "Garoppolo", "Sinopoli", "Tringali" and the like) that have equivalents in Greek, but are they common in Malta too?

Greek surnames in Malta would be Grech (common surname R1b) Anastasi (Ev13) Papgiorcopolo (not very common) remember that the Knights of st john have brought with them over 4000 rhodians (Rhodes was given up to the Ottomans) who settled in the Vittoriosa area south to the grand harbour. I really do not know what surnames these people had

And Malta has long been disputed between the phoenicians of Carthage and Siracusa.

Cilia is a surname very common in south eastern Sicily (Ragusa, Modica, Vittoria, Comiso etc). This girl is called Cilia (a common face btw).
2ldhx8k.jpg

And Malta has long been disputed between the phoenicians of Carthage and Siracusa.

This is interesting. Where you got the info from? I know it that Malta became part of the Sicilian provence under Roman rule after the Second Punic war. However all the Maltese population had disappeared (or nearly I suppose) after the Aglabide (moors) invasion and left the Island as a Herba (ruin) as documented by Al hymardi and only repopulated back from Sicily a few decades before the Normans arrival. So hardly any dna can be traced prior to this time including the Megalitic temple builders.

This is interesting. Where you got the info from? I know it that Malta became part of the Sicilian provence under Roman rule after the Second Punic war. However all the Maltese population had disappeared (or nearly I suppose) after the Aglabide (moors) invasion and left the Island as a Herba (ruin) as documented by Al hymardi and only repopulated back from Sicily a few decades before the Normans arrival. So hardly any dna can be traced prior to this time including the Megalitic temple builders.
He said to me one of the historians who works at the museum Paolo Orsi from Siracusa some time ago while i visited the museum.

He said to me one of the historians who works at the museum Paolo Orsi from Siracusa some time ago while i visited the museum.

there is so much to learn. Historical information has evolved in leaps and bounds from the days I was in high school. And Dna just makes the Picture so much clearer - linked to archaeological finds. We still have to find much more

So in other words most people in Malta are recent migrants from Sicily, from the past thousand years or so.

This thread has been viewed 25394 times.

Back