Did Celts raided or settled in Norway?

mihaitzateo

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Romanian
Y-DNA haplogroup
proly R1B
Looking at R1b-L21 percentages I have noticed the quite significant percentage from Norway,from Norway shores.
Which leads me to the logical question,did Celts settled the area ?
The mainstream theory is that Vikings were beating everyone.
Well not true,Vikings could not defeat Celts.
Take for example the battle of Clontarf when some Celts defeated an Irish-Viking alliance:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Clontarf
I think is very unlikely that all that R1b-L21 from Norway and Iceland comes from Celtic slaves.
Since is present only in South West Norway and Iceland.
I think a good possibility is that some Celts got allied to Vikings so some came to Norway and settled there.
And this is how all R1b-L21 got in Iceland.

They were probably Celtic slaves that the Vikings brought back.

They were probably Celtic slaves that the Vikings brought back.

How many slaves Vikings brought to Iceland so such a significant percentage of male lines are R1b-L21?
Besides,why only in Sout West of Norway is a larger percentage of R1b-L21 while in rest of Scandinavia,the percentage decreases?
I rather think some Celts that were allied to Vikings went and settled in both SW Norway and Iceland.

How many slaves Vikings brought to Iceland so such a significant percentage of male lines are R1b-L21?
Besides,why only in Sout West of Norway is a larger percentage of R1b-L21 while in rest of Scandinavia,the percentage decreases?
I rather think some Celts that were allied to Vikings went and settled in both SW Norway and Iceland.

It is already pretty well documented that Iceland was to a large degree settled by Celtic slaves. In the case of SW Norway having a drastically higher % of R1b-L21, this is likely because that's where Norway's main raiding parties originated from. That's where ports were and the largest concentration of people. Northern Norway was largely desolate and barely inhabited by anyone except for nomadic Saami people. The slaves would have been brought back to the areas where their masters were from.

It is already pretty well documented that Iceland was to a large degree settled by Celtic slaves. In the case of SW Norway having a drastically higher % of R1b-L21, this is likely because that's where Norway's main raiding parties originated from. That's where ports were and the largest concentration of people. Northern Norway was largely desolate and barely inhabited by anyone except for nomadic Saami people. The slaves would have been brought back to the areas where their masters were from.
Celts could not be taken slaves by Vikings.
For the simple reason that Celts were at least equal warriors with Vikings,but I think they were better.
So a Celtic slave could very well kill the Viking master and all his family with ease,while the Viking and his family were sleeping.

What sources you have to tell that R1B-L21 from SW Norway comes from Celtic slaves?
Norwegian sagas?
Well those Norwegian sagas also makes from the defeat of Norwegian Vikings at Largs a glorious victory.
So you realize how reliable the Scandinavian sagas are.
Vikings were terrified by Celts,that is reality that is even attested in Vikings sagas.

It is clear from the spreading of R1b-L21 that either some Celts were allied to Vikings and they came and settled in NW Norway.
But I think after Scots beat Norwegians,at Largs ,they went further and occupied SW Norway and from there,all that R1b-L21 in SW Norway.
And Iceland got conquered by Scotland so this is how so much R1B-L21 is present in Iceland.

Celts could not be taken slaves by Vikings.
For the simple reason that Celts were at least equal warriors with Vikings,but I think they were better.
So a Celtic slave could very well kill the Viking master and all his family with ease,while the Viking and his family were sleeping.

What sources you have to tell that R1B-L21 from SW Norway comes from Celtic slaves?
Norwegian sagas?
Well those Norwegian sagas also makes from the defeat of Norwegian Vikings at Largs a glorious victory.
So you realize how reliable the Scandinavian sagas are.
Vikings were terrified by Celts,that is reality that is even attested in Vikings sagas.

It is clear from the spreading of R1b-L21 that either some Celts were allied to Vikings and they came and settled in NW Norway.
But I think after Scots beat Norwegians,at Largs ,they went further and occupied SW Norway and from there,all that R1b-L21 in SW Norway.
And Iceland got conquered by Scotland so this is how so much R1B-L21 is present in Iceland.

Can you provide some proof that the Scotish Highlanders settled in Norway and Iceland? Is the MacDonald surname; or any other Highlander clans found in both Scotland and Norway in large quantities?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clan_Donald

The main explanation for Celtic genes in Norway is probably through slaves. Big deal, as viking raids would focus on easier non-warriors as slave material, rather than warriors. Something that the OP has (deliberately?) forgotten to think about.

However, in the Heimskringla one can read about at least two Norwegian kings, who had mothers from Ireland or Scotland: Harald Gille and his son Eystein Haraldsson.

This thread has been viewed 7207 times.

Back