DNAGenics Shared Modern Origins (Ethnicity Estimate?)

qh777

Reaction score
Ethnic group
English, Scottish, Irish, French, German, Belgian
Y-DNA haplogroup
J2/J-M67/ J2a1b
mtDNA haplogroup
H/ H1/H1ao
When I paid for the service to merge my 4 dna files on DNAGenics, the merged file had other features opened on the site. Under the ancestry tab there was this "Shared Modern Origins" feature. I'm assuming its basically DNAGenics' version of what's typically called an ethnicity estimate. It's split up into 3 calculations: conservative results, intermediate results and speculative results. I remember 23&Me having this feature with its estimate as well.
Here are my results with all three modes with my merged file. If you all have uploaded your dna file to DNAGenics share yours and maybe estimates from Ancestry or 23&Me. I want to see what you all get.

1712502893592.png

1712503025796.png

Speculative results. The note at the top is interesting.

1712507501211.png

The feature is due for an update sometime this year. We're 4 months into 2024. DNAGenics needs to make it snappy lol.

Attachments

• 1712502952886.png
    1712502952886.png
    287.5 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Honestly, I would not consider their results as serious. Their G25 coordinates are simulated, they deviate from the ones got from Illustrative DNA.

It is the speculative setting ( the third pic) but the calculation is still way off in my opinion

I am mostly iberian , i didnt find until now some iberian person pulled nw europe in modern origins conservative , normally is only west iberia and east iberia , sometimes italy , what said to me it could be a proxy, here result 2 different raw data in conservative mode

Screenshot_20240408_024138.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240130_212723.jpg
    Screenshot_20240130_212723.jpg
    398.1 KB · Views: 28
In my case, I would give more credit to the current Conservative and the old 2.1 version of Oracle (although they also remain rather generic and approximate). The Intermediate and Speculative results do not appropriately capture the northern Italian share and 'simulate' it by combining Iberian with other central Italian elements

Screenshot (588).png

Screenshot (589).png

Screenshot (590).png

Screenshot (591).png

I had the merged file imputed with DNAgenics too. What do you all think of that?
The imputation didn't change the results much on this estimate.
1712574930468.png

1712575130020.png

Attachments

• 1712575007318.png
    1712575007318.png
    48.2 KB · Views: 29
I had the merged file imputed with DNAgenics too. What do you all think of that?
The imputation didn't change the results much on this estimate.
View attachment 15870

View attachment 15872
My result is with imput aswell , before i did receive iberia + nw france and norway after only iberia + norway with imputed but i dont know what is more correct because i dont know why i receive norway , i know that west iberia is accurate

1712675555896.png

Would of probably worked for me if it was 'East Slavic' instead of 'West Slavic'. I assume my finno-ugric admixture was registered as 'Finnish' by their calculator.

Also, my Speculative results are even better
1712675615511.png

Arigato Gozaimasu!

View attachment 15897
Would of probably worked for me if it was 'East Slavic' instead of 'West Slavic'. I assume my finno-ugric admixture was registered as 'Finnish' by their calculator.

Also, my Speculative results are even better
View attachment 15898

Arigato Gozaimasu!
What do your intermediate results look like? I noticed the speculative setting is way out in left field for some people. It looks to me like the speculative setting should be removed and just leave the conservative and medium.

What do your intermediate results look like? I noticed the speculative setting is way out in left field for some people. It looks to me like the speculative setting should be removed and just leave the conservative and medium.
1712676168505.png

I assume the 1.2% of Asian comes from my Siberian admixture, which in turn comes from my finno-ugric admixture.

I still find the site , a bit off in results ...................first time back since 2022

My personnel traits are accurate

result below.................what is OOA Basal ?

Attachments

• capture 2.png
    capture 2.png
    70.5 KB · Views: 41
  • capture 3.png
    capture 3.png
    76 KB · Views: 43
I still find the site , a bit off in results ...................first time back since 2022

Quite a few of the admix calculators on there are off if you ask me.

About the only free admix calculators that make sense for me are the Eurogenes ones.

1712766780006.png

If you buy upgrades you can view your admix by chromosome like Genomelink.

1712766926580.png

1712766956310.png

1712767009841.png

1712767046231.png

1712767082000.png

Last edited:

Out Of Africa Basal.

thanks bigsnake and who-cares

the personnel traits are better than 23andme for myself

23andme for year colour had 51% blue, 28% blueish-green and 21% green .....................I have green eyes, like my father and Grandfather
this site DNAgenics just says Greenish-Blue eyes

Attachments

• capture 12.png
    capture 12.png
    81.9 KB · Views: 31
When I paid for the service to merge my 4 dna files on DNAGenics, the merged file had other features opened on the site. Under the ancestry tab there was this "Shared Modern Origins" feature. I'm assuming its basically DNAGenics' version of what's typically called an ethnicity estimate. It's split up into 3 calculations: conservative results, intermediate results and speculative results. I remember 23&Me having this feature with its estimate as well.
Here are my results with all three modes with my merged file. If you all have uploaded your dna file to DNAGenics share yours and maybe estimates from Ancestry or 23&Me. I want to see what you all get.

View attachment 15856

View attachment 15858

View attachment 15859

The feature is due for an update sometime this year. We're 4 months into 2024. DNAGenics needs to make it snappy lol.
The last speculation is out of sense for me.

View attachment 15856

View attachment 15858

View attachment 15859

For clarification this test here is actually looking at DNA and not PCA? I'm pretty sure it's analyzing one's DNA file and comparing it to the DNA of their reference panel. In the FAQ their references are from 1000Genomes, HGDP, and Scientific papers publicly available (Cell, Nature, PubMed papers).

Honestly, I would not consider their results as serious. Their G25 coordinates are simulated, they deviate from the ones got from Illustrative DNA.
DNAGenics G25 coordinates aren't simulated. They are created directly from your raw DNA (not from another set of coordinates) with Davidski's materials but not exactly the same. Thus DNAGenics refers to their own as "synthetic coordinates". Some find them more accurate than the Illustrative/Davidski ones. I use both sets as for me each has their strengths and weaknesses.

Also just to make clear, the DNAGenics dashboard and exclusive reports such as the "Shared Modern Origins" above are not G25. They use different methods with these reports some of them utilising ADMIXTURE, and others matching DNA segments etc. Their G25 studio is a separate section.

This thread has been viewed 1420 times.

Back