Do Celts still exist?

Grizzly
And for Iberia, yes, Iberia was out of the Celtic culture. It is sad for some users, but life goes on...

It is a joy to be so different from any other culture in the world, thankfully.

Honestly, for me the "Celtic" notion is more a historical and linguistical one. All the current considerations about Celtic (genetics, folklore...) make me laugh. Scottish speak almost all English, Breton French...The real Celtic culture remains only through texts, and in old mouthes of old guys. The fact that some parents send their children in Breton-speakin schools is just laughable.

And for Iberia, yes, Iberia was out of the Celtic culture. It is sad for some users, but life goes on...

Your twisted opinion means ZERO. What you have proven over and over is that you are pursuing a childish agenda, that's all. Any reasonable person here thinks you're a lost cause. Grizzly, you just don't get it, or WANT TO GET IT. You make absolutely no sense at all.

There are no Celts in existence today but there remain people who are Celtic influenced. And yes, some regions of Spain and Portugal clearly continue to have a strong level of Celticity. Why should that bother you? Tell us, please.

Why do you insist on spewing out ludicrous comment after ludicrous comment and against what all the experts say. How nuts is that? You lost the argument on day one. Just move on before you look even more foolish:useless:

Last edited:
With the birth of Spain, after the development of a country that influenced the passing of the world, Spain has not needed to play the lyre with anyone, after the dictatorship, we can say that there cultural homogeneity and thought throughout national, although that regionalist nazionale spend much money on trying to differentiate themselves, without going any further Catalonia is the only place where private and public education is prohibited in the common language of the state, or Castilian Spanish, but all why do it in a prefabricated form and may be raised when the Celts or musically mimic the Irish, I do not need and can not get very far, we do not seem to anyone and is healthier dance and sing a mu?eira to imitate the Welsh or Irish.

We've been so busy the last few centuries we've reinvented ourselves, without having to belong to another culture that was not ours, perhaps the reason that some French are upset, they would have liked it more if we had done But we were very busy, sorry, never late, start now turn to something more in Europe.

Some peoples try here to link some culture features which have probably roots in very ancient times (I would say Neolithic times for the bagpipes or the dances) with the Celts, because they just want so.
Read the history of ancient celtic music. See the link that I posted earlier.

Read the history of ancient celtic music. See the link that I posted earlier.

He doesn't want to read the link since it will destroy his fabricated reality. Pathetic...

His next stop: THE TWILIGHT ZONE.

There are no Celts in existence today but there remain people who are Celtic influenced. And yes, some regions of Spain and Portugal clearly continue to have a strong level of Celticity. Why should that bother you? Tell us, please.

If one day Portugal is accepted in the Celtic league then Turkey should be accepted too because of evidence of Celticity at some points of it History

If one day Portugal is accepted in the Celtic league then Turkey should be accepted too because of evidence of Celticity at some points of it History

There was no Celtic settlement saturation in Turkey. The Celts were in Western and NW Western Iberia for a much longer period and in far larger numbers than Turkey. It's not a fair comparison. Ancient scholars like Herodotus and Strabo wrote in great detail about the Celts in NW Iberia.

Only the old Gallaecian region of Portugal (Minho, Douro and Tras-os-Montes) should be accepted into the CL, together with Galicia. This area is very close to Galicia culturally and it continues to share with it many ancient practices held over from Celtic times.

Last edited:
Only the old Gallaecian region of Portugal (Minho, Douro and Tras-os-Montes) should be accepted into the CL, together with Galicia. This area is very close to Galicia culturally and it continues to share with it many ancient practices held over from Celtic times.

The Celtic League on Galicia:

The Celtic Leauge said:
In the mid 1980’s the League decided on a linguistic criterion for national membership of the League, based on a definition of what it is to be ‘Celtic’.

This definition argues that an area is Celtic if a Celtic language was spoken as a historical community language, within living memory. This definition was and still is in line with the accepted position of Celtic scholars and the pan Celtic movement. This means that Galicia cannot have a national branch of the League, because the modern historic language of Galicia is Galego – a Romance language – and has been for many centuries.

An international branch of the League can of course be set up in Galicia, in line with the rules set out in the Constituion of the League.

Which I know you object to, Cambria. As I've mentioned, I tend to agree that a cultural criterion would be more appropriate than such a linguistic one.

Do you know how far the language revival has progressed, incidentally? I hope that any language revival does not run into the same problems as Cornish. Cornish currently has a bunch of competing standards: Unified Cornish, Unified Cornish Revived, Modern Cornish, Common Cornish, Kernowek Standard, Kernowek Dasunys, and Standard Written Form. The main point of contention has been what Cornish to revive--the most "pure" Cornish, before significant Germanic influence, the most well-attested Cornish, which came later, or the latest Cornish, to continue the evolution of the language. Although, I don't think that Gallaic is well-attested enough to be so picky, am I right?

Which I know you object to, Cambria. As I've mentioned, I tend to agree that a cultural criterion would be more appropriate than such a linguistic one.

Do you know how far the language revival has progressed, incidentally? I hope that any language revival does not run into the same problems as Cornish. Cornish currently has a bunch of competing standards: Unified Cornish, Unified Cornish Revived, Modern Cornish, Common Cornish, Kernowek Standard, Kernowek Dasunys, and Standard Written Form. The main point of contention has been what Cornish to revive--the most "pure" Cornish, before significant Germanic influence, the most well-attested Cornish, which came later, or the latest Cornish, to continue the evolution of the language. Although, I don't think that Gallaic is well-attested enough to be so picky, am I right?

Yes, Gallaic is not well attested, so I do not foresee the same problems that were encountered with Cornish. Pintado, with support from the Celtic League of Galicia, has been hard at work on Gallaic reconstruction for at least a couple of years.

Acel-Trebopala, located in north-central Portugal, recently partially reconstructed Lusitanian, which is very much Celtic influenced and at least para-Celtic or possibly Proto-Celtic. If the language did not retain the initial -P* along with a couple of other elements, it would be classified as wholly Celtic. Untermann (1987) views the language as Celtic (a dialectal type). Lusitanian forms part of the Gallaic substrate.

With the Lusitanian problem in mind, I believe that the notion of what constitutes a Celtic language needs reformulation.

Last edited:
Another commonality among "Celtic nations" is the importance of their patron saints, and their feast days. These have become something of national holidays in their respective regions, in some cases, officially.

Prior to Christianization, Celtic peoples celebrated traditional pagan holidays, which tended to fall on solstices and equinoxes, to mark the transition of seasons. These took slightly different forms and different names, although there were commonalities; for example, there was a common late-summer harvest festival that commemorated the god Lugus. If any of these are celebrated nowadays, it's usually meant as a revival of old customs, although the tradition stayed in Gaelic-speaking areas until relatively late.

After Christianization, identification with patron saints became common, and like many other places in the Christian world, the patron saint's feast day became important. Of note are:

Wales: St. David's Day, March 1.
Cornwall: St. Piran's Day, March 5.
Ireland: St. Patrick's Day, March 17.
Galicia: St. James' Day ("Día Nacional de Galicia"), July 25.
Scotland: St. Andrew's Day, November 30.

Mann has St. Maughold, but his day isn't celebrated significantly AFAIK. Brittany has St. Anne, but rather than having a celebration for her feast day, they instead have something called Tro Breizh that involves a pilgrimage to cites associated with other Breton saints.

Another fun fact is that the different regions sent saints to each other. The patron saints of Cornwall and Mann were Irish, many of the Breton saints were Welsh, and St. Patrick was probably a Briton.

The Celtic gods , such as Taranis have given plenty of toponyms, for example in Asturias you find Taranes, Tereñes, Táranu, Torañu, Tarañosdiós. etc

The Celtic gods , such as Taranis have given plenty of toponyms, for example in Asturias you find Taranes, Tereñes, Táranu, Torañu, Tarañosdiós. etc

Taranis in particular is pan-IE if we extrapolate backwards, although the Celtic version of him picked up some unique traits. He is probably related to the Germanic Thunraz (Thor), and the Hittite Tarhun.

The Celtic pantheon shared some other deities with IE culture in general, such as Danu (related to Hindu goddess Danu) and Nechtan (related to Neptune). But many of the practices and symbols that developed were fairly unique to the Celts, and it's easy to find lots of examples of toponyms from the ancient pagan religions they had.

Your twisted opinion means ZERO. What you have proven over and over is that you are pursuing a childish agenda, that's all. Any reasonable person here thinks you're a lost cause. Grizzly, you just don't get it, or WANT TO GET IT. You make absolutely no sense at all.

Your twisted opinion means ZERO. What you have proven over and over is that you are pursuing a childish agenda, that's all. Any reasonable person here thinks you're a lost cause. Cambria Red , you just don't get it, or WANT TO GET IT. You make absolutely no sense at all.

There are no Celts in existence today but there remain people who are Celtic influenced.

Only in their imagination.

And yes, some regions of Spain and Portugal clearly continue to have a strong level of Celticity. Why should that bother you? Tell us, please.

Don't complain about the laughing-smileys if you put so funny statements.
:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Why should that bother you? Tell us, please.

I'm bizarre : between the truth and the mistakes (not to say lies), I prefer the truth.

Why do you insist on spewing out ludicrous comment after ludicrous comment and against what all the experts say. How nuts is that? You lost the argument on day one. Just move on before you look even more foolish:useless:

He doesn't want to read the link since it will destroy his fabricated reality. Pathetic...

His next stop: THE TWILIGHT ZONE.

You don't want to read the link since it will destroy your fabricated reality. Pathetic...

Your next stop: THE TWILIGHT ZONE.

Thanks to make me revising my English grammar...

I agree with the Celtic league. In "culture" you can make all the ingredients that you want, depending of the circunstancies. Any region of Portugal or Spain has nothing to do in the Celtic league.

Bringing this back to Britain, here is an interesting excerpt regarding ethnic tension that occurred during the English Civil War. I bring this up in particular because some see discontinuity between modern Celtic identity of the Cornish and Welsh with their Celtic identity in the Dark Ages, before significant English influence. This gives evidence to the idea that Celtic identity persisted in the meantime:

BBC History said:
Beneath the all important religious divisions lurked anxieties about nationhood and ethnicity. Parliament set out, from the very first, to portray itself as the party of 'Englishness', and although this image played well throughout most of the kingdom, it provoked a counter-reaction in 'Celtic' Cornwall and Wales. Here, the overwhelming majority of the population came out for the King in 1642, and throughout the rest of the war these two regions remained Charles I's most important 'magazines of men'. Cornish and Welsh troops were vital to the Royalist war effort, but the King's reliance upon them reinforced his opponents' claims that the royalist party was fundamentally 'un-English'. So did Charles' use of soldiers brought over from Ireland, many of whom, the Parliamentarians maintained, were Catholics. During the first half of the war, Parliament's close links with the Scots tended to undermine the claim that Parliament's cause was the cause of England itself - and anti-Scottish feeling undoubtedly helped to bring many English men and women into the King's camp. Once the relationship between Parliament and the Scots started to deteriorate in 1645, however, and the King began to court the Scots in his turn, this situation changed.

Full article.

@ Grizzly

Look, you can think whatever you like, the large majority of Celtic experts do not hold your viewpoints. In the end, that is all that matters. Your references are a small minority with little mainstream support. Time to move on.

This is Cambria Red. I had to temporarily register under a new name as the enhanced system knocked me out and am unable to log in.

Last edited:

This thread has been viewed 77019 times.

Back