Does this mean the new person is Unbalanced?

den4

Reaction score
Japan voices disappointment at departure of 'balanced' Powell

TOKYO: Japan expressed disappointment at the resignation of the "well-balanced" US Secretary of State Colin Powell but said it expected the alliance between the countries to remain strong.

"I feel very disappointed that he is leaving," said Chief Cabinet Secretary Hiroyuki Hosoda, the government spokesman.

"As an extremely well-balanced secretary of state, he did a great job," Hosoda told reporters.

Defense Agency Director-General Yoshinori Ono said that despite Powell's resignation, "we must continue to build strong bilateral relations."

"It is a little bit disappointing since continuity is important in Japan-US relations," said Ono, who will be in Washington this month for talks with his US counterpart Donald Rumsfeld, with whom Powell often clashed.

Powell, one of the US administration's most respected members abroad, was last in Japan in October on an Asian tour aimed in part at pressing North Korea to return to dialogue over its nuclear weapons program.

Powell announced his resignation on Monday after four years of often-losing policy battles with his hawkish colleagues over Iraq and other issues.

To replace Powell, US President George W. Bush plans to nominate national security adviser Condoleezza Rice, senior administration officials said.

- AFP

Now she is the official new U.S Secretary of State it was announced a couple of days ago. I don't think she's unbalanced and the fact that she is a woman might make things interesting. However, she is a republican...?

Powell was the voice of reason in that administration, but no one listened to him. But at least he was a more moderate voice. Now we won't even have that. :(

Yes, I also liked Colin Powell - in my opinion, he was the most reasonable in the administration. :blush:
I even have and read his biograpphy, A Line in the Sand, which is a great read!

About Condi becoming the new Secretary of State, well....isn't she "accused" of still thinking in Cold-War terms?
Other than that, there is no doubt that she is fit for the job-she seems like a iron-fist-woman, and her background as National Security Advisor tells me she has brains....unlike one in the administration (no name-calling here).... :blush:

I think that Rice will be perfect for that office. She has pretty impressive credentials!

I personally believe that Powell is trying to distance himself from this administration in order for a possible Presidential run himself in the future! :?

CC1 said:
I personally believe that Powell is trying to distance himself from this administration in order for a possible Presidential run himself in the future! :?

Interesting view CC1....why do you think so? Could you please elaborate? I have not heard this view before...is it also discussed among some American people? :)

He is easily the most qualified African American (I hate to use that term). He has been displeased with the administration and the way that they have handled the war in IRAQ. He was made to be the scapegoat when things went wrong. (this seemed to be set up btw! Being is that he was responsible for identifying the threats posed by Sadaam before the war!)

Is it being spoken about amongst other Americans? I'm not so sure. I know that when I was still in the service, many of my fellow servicemembers believed that he would run and we were all shocked that he didn't! Now that he has served as Sec of State, he is even better suited for the job!

I'll say that he has a much better chance of winning than Gen Clarke ever did! He also would beat the pants off of Edwards, Kerry, Gore, Hillary...all of them! Think about it...would you vote for him? (party lines aside...I'm talking about voting for the person, not the party!) :?

CC1 said:
I'll say that he has a much better chance of winning than Gen Clarke ever did! He also would beat the pants off of Edwards, Kerry, Gore, Hillary...all of them! Think about it...would you vote for him? (party lines aside...I'm talking about voting for the person, not the party!) :?

Hmmm...let me think....I really liked Colin Powell, and he could in some regards "pass off" as a Democrat... :relief: I read his biography and he is a very charming, sympathetic and wise man....
But, I think I'd go for Wesley Clarke if he ran for President....I dunno yet, too early for me to decide. :)

CC1 said:
He is easily the most qualified African American (I hate to use that term).
I'm probably going to mis-remember this but a British bloke was referred to as 'African American' while visiting there. He bruskly pointed out that he was British whereupon they 'corrected' themselves to calling him a 'British African American'. :mad:

PaulTB said:
(....)but a British bloke was referred to as 'African American' while visiting there. He bruskly pointed out that he was British whereupon they 'corrected' themselves to calling him a 'British African American'. :mad:

Never heard that term before.. :?

This thread has been viewed 617 times.

Back