Earliest quote about Albanians.

I know, there was no albania in europe in the ancient times
True! But there are other facts that prove our presence where we are.
1) Illyria is an Albanian word, presently in use, meaning "free people"
2) Toponims: Ulcinj. Dalmatia, Dardania, Molosia etc... are also Albanian words in use today
3)Ancient names of kings and queens of Illyria are Albanian words still in use
4) Albanian language has 50% latin words spoken in prechristian times,that proves proximity with Rome
5) Neolithic genes in Albanian population
6)Get your life together and do somthing else instead of debating things you don't know

True! But there are other facts that prove our presence where we are.
1) Illyria is an Albanian word, presently in use, meaning "free people"
2) Toponims: Ulcinj. Dalmatia, Dardania, Molosia etc... are also Albanian words in use today
3)Ancient names of kings and queens of Illyria are Albanian words still in use
4) Albanian language has 50% latin words spoken in prechristian times,that proves proximity with Rome
5) Neolithic genes in Albanian population
6)Get your life together and do somthing else instead of debating things you don't know

Illyria is Akkadian word, that Hettits borowed, God Illuwanka, Semitic Illu Hebrew El Elion etc

Dalmat also follows Akkadian toponymic - mat.

Dardania after Dardanos is also non IE but can be also combined with Slavic (Maybe Thracian) Duri-Dan
Molosia can be explained by Greek also
μολων

about 6 you don't want to read answer.

Illyria is Akkadian word, that Hettits borowed, God Illuwanka, Semitic Illu Hebrew El Elion etc

Dalmat also follows Akkadian toponymic - mat.

Dardania after Dardanos is also non IE but can be also combined with Slavic (Maybe Thracian) Duri-Dan
Molosia can be explained by Greek also
μολων

about 6 you don't want to read answer.

1) That's not a conclusive etymology, actually the region has no conclusive etymology. But it's not "i lirë" because that's a Latin loan. Illyrians don't even correspond with with a single material culture, they didn't even have similarities between their dress styles, lifestyles etc. (Wilkes) Illyrian is a terrible name. It's like saying "Modern Balkan people". Balkan incorporates parts of Croatia, Bosnia, most of Serbia, Kosovo, Bulgaria, FYROM, Albania and Greece and part of Turkey. Often Romania is included too. That's not counting minorities like the Pomaks, Vlachs, Gypsies etc. Illyrians did not refer themselves as "Illyrians", that was an exonym. I'm not even sure they spoke the same language.

2) All toponyms, except Molossia are have been related to Albanian words (comparative linguistics) and some have counterparts in the Middle Ages as well (Dardasi in Medieval Albanian to Dardha, South Albania -a place not a fruit- in Modern Albanian for example). I'm not sure about the etymology of Molossia. I'm not even sure how it relates to Myzeqe (at that time Musachi) as it was claimed in the Middle Ages. Yetos is probably right with this one.

3) Lots of problems with this one. While they can be related to Proto-Albanian words, they can't be related to modern-Albanian words. From Bardylis to Bardhyl, or Bardhi is acceptable, as it's connected with the word "bardhë" meaning white, but names like Blaedarus can't give Bledar. Proto-Albanian *blaid-ura gives "blehurë" meaning pale, if and only if, those two are connected. Christianity changed the society, brought new names.

4) Proto-Albanians preceded Romans in the Illyrian region. In general linguists studying Albanian have agreed with this. Vladimir Orel uses the words "must" in his preface instead of "probably" which is a more scholarly term. The scholars whose work he followed agree as well. There's lots of reasons to accept this, most importantly Proto-Albanian period ends when the oldest Latin loans enter the language. The oldest Latin loans enter in the Augustan era. Dacia and Thracia weren't conquered until many centuries later and there's no sign of migration after. Even if PAlbos were Dacians or Thracians, or Phrygian, or Paeonians or whatever -I'm just throwing names here following no logic whatsoever-, they must have been in Illyria before Romans. Also Albanian has pre-Christian (BC) Latin terms which you can't have if conquered in AD years. What they can't agree is where were Proto-Albanians specifically?

5) Eh, not my field.

6) That's rude.

Last edited:
1) That's not a conclusive etymology, actually the region has no conclusive etymology. But it's not "i lirë" because that's a Latin loan. Illyrians don't even correspond with with a single material culture, they didn't even have similarities between their dress styles, lifestyles etc. (Wilkes) Illyrian is a terrible name. It's like saying "Modern Balkan people". Balkan incorporates parts of Croatia, Bosnia, most of Serbia, Kosovo, Bulgaria, FYROM, Albania and Greece and part of Turkey. Often Romania is included too. That's not counting minorities like the Pomaks, Vlachs, Gypsies etc. Illyrians did not refer themselves as "Illyrians", that was an exonym. I'm not even sure they spoke the same language.

2) All toponyms, except Molossia are have been related to Albanian words (comparative linguistics) and some have counterparts in the Middle Ages as well (Dardasi in Medieval Albanian to Dardha, South Albania -a place not a fruit- in Modern Albanian for example). I'm not sure about the etymology of Molossia. I'm not even sure how it relates to Myzeqe (at that time Musachi) as it was claimed in the Middle Ages. Yetos is probably right with this one.

3) Lots of problems with this one. While they can be related to Proto-Albanian words, they can't be related to modern-Albanian words. From Bardylis to Bardhyl, or Bardhi is acceptable, as it's connected with the word "bardhë" meaning white, but names like Blaedarus can't give Bledar. Proto-Albanian *blaid-ura gives "blehurë" meaning pale, if and only if, those two are connected. Christianity changed the society, brought new names.

4) Proto-Albanians preceded Romans in the Illyrian region. In general linguists studying Albanian have agreed with this. Vladimir Orel uses the words "must" in his preface instead of "probably" which is a more scholarly term. The scholars whose work he followed agree as well. There's lots of reasons to accept this, most importantly Proto-Albanian period ends when the oldest Latin loans enter the language. The oldest Latin loans enter in the Augustan era. Dacia and Thracia weren't conquered until many centuries later and there's no sign of migration after. Even if PAlbos were Dacians or Thracians, or Phrygian, or Paeonians or whatever -I'm just throwing names here following no logic whatsoever-, they must have been in Illyria before Romans. Also Albanian has pre-Christian (BC) Latin terms which you can't have if conquered in AD years. What they can't agree is where were Proto-Albanians specifically?

5) Eh, not my field.

6) That's rude.

Molosia is an Albanian word=Molle
Dardania is an Albanian word=Dardhe

MAL I ZI is albanians birth place can anyone tell me where these words coe from MAL I ZI

Malizi is what people from Mali in Africa call themselves

Malizi is what people from Mali in Africa call themselves
So albanians got that from africans in mali? who would have thought. :rolleyes:

So albanians got that from africans in mali? who would have thought. :rolleyes:

i did not say this, i just stated what the mali people call themselves....if you want to associate Albanians with Mali you need to provide some evidence.:bored:

i did not say this, i just stated what the mali people call themselves....if you want to associate Albanians with Mali you need to provide some evidence.:bored:
No, it seems you were the one that associated Albanians with Mali when Ukaj asked can anyone tell me where these words coe from MAL I ZI. Moving on.

@Yetos and others

Illyr has connection with Semitic, maybe, but it can be also explained with Albanian - yll, ill, hyll - which means star. Therefore Illyrians could easily mean "people of heavens" or "children of gods", still today in Albanian we call the gods - Hyjni. The meaning of "I lirë" is modern and quite naive since freedom was much younger concept then the age of Illyrians.

Dalmat - can be Akkadian toponym. Dalmacia in Albanian is Malcia (Highlands)- and Mali i Zi is a typicall mistake since it sounds like a translation from old Albanian into Slavic and then form Slavic to Albanian, Malci was wrongly understood as a black mountain (Montenegro).

Dardania has nothing to do with Slavic. Strangely Dardan and Mollos both have to do with the fruit trees in Albanian, but I haven't done my research on these two so I cannot give a proper answer, but definitely cannot be Slavic.

@Yetos and others

Illyr has connection with Semitic, maybe, but it can be also explained with Albanian - yll, ill, hyll - which means star. Therefore Illyrians could easily mean "people of heavens" or "children of gods", still today in Albanian we call the gods - Hyjni. The meaning of "I lirë" is modern and quite naive since freedom was much younger concept then the age of Illyrians.

Dalmat - can be Akkadian toponym. Dalmacia in Albanian is Malcia (Highlands)- and Mali i Zi is a typicall mistake since it sounds like a translation from old Albanian into Slavic and then form Slavic to Albanian, Malci was wrongly understood as a black mountain (Montenegro).

Dardania has nothing to do with Slavic. Strangely Dardan and Mollos both have to do with the fruit trees in Albanian, but I haven't done my research on these two so I cannot give a proper answer, but definitely cannot be Slavic.

Dardania and Dardasi in the Middle Ages could be related (in name), but not Mollos. I read somewhere for Mollosi went to Moloschi to Musachi to Muzakaj to Myzeqe. The last three are definitely related and well documented but Moloschi just comes out of nowhere.

Malësia is related to the common Paleo Balkan toponym 'mal' (example Malesocus in Istria) meaning 'mountain' in Albanian, or 'shore' in Romanian. But it might be possible to have been confused s and z giving the name 'black mountain'. Slavic name translations of Paleo Balkan toponyms were common, example 'Cernavoda' meaning 'black water' from an earlier 'Axiopa' id. (Dacian placename). I've thought of it before too, but I've scratched it due to the implications and never mentioned until now.

As for the others, a reconstruction of the vocabulary like it was done with Dacian would help.

Mal i zi should mean something like mountain of black in Albanian.
That could refer to Montenegro, or any Crni Vrh toponym of which are many in that area.
Where did you get this thing about the birth place?

Mal i zi should mean something like mountain of black in Albanian.
That could refer to Montenegro, or any Crni Vrh toponym of which are many in that area.
Where did you get this thing about the birth place?

what are you trying to achieve here?

the word comes from--
montenegro from venetian language
monte = mountain
negro = black

in italian language
montagna = mountain
nero= black

in slavic its something else

The origin of term montenegro in not questioned. It is used here as an international toponym, with the map included.

This thread has been viewed 23590 times.

Back