Eating acorns

oldeuropeanculture

Reaction score
acorn chips.jpg

Why are Thunder deities always linked with agricultural cults? Maybe because the first corn was acorn, the fruit of the thunder tree, oak...I am continuing my articles about oaks and acorns. I hope you will find this one interesting.

How did hunter gatherers start to eat acorns? How did they get the idea to invent all the technologies and tools necessary for gathering, storing and leaching acorns? What are the procedures and tool which our hunter gatherer ancestors used for gathering, storing and leaching acorns? How did our hunter gatherer ancestors cook the acorns, and turned them into food? And what type of food was most commonly made from acorns? Did acorn kick start the Mesolithic to Neolithic transition milleniums before any cereal was anywhere to be found?

These are the questions that I would like to answer in this post. I hope you will find it an interesting read.

You can read more here:

http://oldeuropeanculture.blogspot.ie/2014/12/eating-acorns.html

View attachment 6909

Why are Thunder deities always linked with agricultural cults? Maybe because the first corn was acorn, the fruit of the thunder tree, oak...I am continuing my articles about oaks and acorns. I hope you will find this one interesting.
I'm not sure if you noticed that people don't eat acorns anymore. What could be the reason?
Here is the hint: They suck!

How did hunter gatherers start to eat acorns?
Oh, this is an easy one. They were starving!

How did they get the idea to invent all the technologies and tools necessary for gathering, storing and leaching acorns?
Where is the archaeological evidence, pre neolithic if you will, regarding "technology" for leaching acorns?
"Technology" for gathering are hends. Storing technology for acorns is the same as for any nuts or berries, a leather sack.

The best proven technology for using acorns is to send pigs to the forest, let them eat acorns, and then eat delicious pig.

What are the procedures and tool which our hunter gatherer ancestors used for gathering, storing and leaching acorns? How did our hunter gatherer ancestors cook the acorns, and turned them into food? And what type of food was most commonly made from acorns? Did acorn kick start the Mesolithic to Neolithic transition milleniums before any cereal was anywhere to be found?
Kicked up transition? You're kidding, right? Grains from wheat were found on floors of Natufians huts in Near East dating to 15,000 BC. Basically, where grass grows there is cereal, throw seeds on a hot stone by a firepit, and you can eat starches. No leaching for days needed.

I realize that you have some Holistic agenda about Oak Tree, but please, acorns behind Neolithic revolution, lol, give us a break.

Somehow I'm sure, you'll be as compulsive with this subject as with "Slavic Vikings invading Ireland", right Dublin? (Dub, as slavic word for Oak, a proof that Slavs started this city).

There's a very good reason why hunter gatherers gathered acorns. If they ran out of the kind of foods they actually liked to eat, such as fish, meat, berries, wild potatoes and wild grains, they needed to have something else available so they wouldn't starve to death, since there were no food banks or welfare offices in the Paleolithic or Mesolithic. And acorns left in their shells would be very easy to store - all you'd have to do is put them somewhere where animals couldn't get at them, such as the back of the cave you were living in. So when other food ran out, whether because of spoilage or an unusually long winter, you could shell and process the acorns and even if they didn't taste very good, it would be better than starving to death.

And no, oldeuropeanculture, Thunder Gods don't seem to be linked to agricultural cults, as far as I can see. Zeus, Indra and Thor, for example, are Gods of thunder and war but not agriculture. And agricultural Gods (suc as Attis, the Dagda, Peko and Frey) and agricultural Goddesses (such as Isis, Demeter and Ceres) don't seem to be linked to thunder.

Sorry LeBrok but you are completely out of touch with what is going on. You guys need to read the latest archaeological, ethnographic and anthropological data. I give lots of links in my posts to original papers. Maybe your should read my posts before you start criticizing them, so that you know what you are criticizing.

Kicked up transition? You're kidding, right? Grains from wheat were found on floors of Natufians huts in Near East dating to 15,000 BC. Basically, where grass grows there is cereal, throw seeds on a hot stone by a firepit, and you can eat starches. No leaching for days needed.

If you have read my other post

http://oldeuropeanculture.blogspot.ie/2014/11/acorns-in-archaeology.html

you would have seen that natufian culture is now classified as acorn eating culture, and so are all the other western asian main cultures including catal hayuk. I link to all the paleo botanical articles that talk about it.

Aberdeen, I started this investigation looking at storm goods. And it was the fact that you find these gods, and oak, linked to harvest season and to agricultural season as a whole, that prompted me to investigate this whole area further. I will write about this soon. I prefer to have my argument well laid out and well supported with data.

As for bitterness of acorns, you are right, they are mostly bitter. But if you bothered reading the article that you are commenting on, you would have seen that people invented many easy ways to remove this bitterness out of the acorns before eating them. We know that because we have huge amount of archaeological and ethnographic data that proves it.

Until then have fun guys.

This thread has been viewed 3821 times.

Back