Europe, West- and South_Central Asia and the unnatural gap..

Well, now we have samples from the Levant Bronze Age, for example, so by comparing them to modern Levantines we might be able to get a better fix on the answer to my question specifically about the Arab slave trade, yes?

Yes we actually have an Iron age sample, its from the Megiddo Canaanites, you started a thread on that here : https://www.eupedia.com/forum/threads/34856-Upcoming-paper-on-Bronze-Age-Canaanites?p=524076&viewfull=1#post524076

The genomes of modern native Levantine populations trace ≈60% of their ancestry to IA Canaanites, ≈10% to Eastern Africa, and the remaining to less well characterized sources, possibly related to Iran.

10% East African difference from ancient smaples, but on Gedmatch it doesn't equal the West African or East African components that when summed up, on average equal 5%. what do they mean by East African exactly ? if like Horners then half of that is actually ENF.

Yes we actually have an Iron age sample, its from the Megiddo Canaanites, you started a thread on that here : https://www.eupedia.com/forum/threa...Age-Canaanites?p=524076&viewfull=1#post524076

10% East African difference from ancient smaples, but on Gedmatch it doesn't equal the West African or East African components that when summed up, on average equal 5%. what do they mean by East African exactly ? if like Horners then half of that is actually ENF.

Yes, Iron Age too, of course, which is better.

I normally split the "East African" reference, usually assigning about 40% of it to genetic flow from the "Middle East" to Africa. To get more precise percentages we'd have to go back and see which East African samples they used and the percentages of "Middle Eastern" like ancestry assigned to them.

Also, it depends on the Middle Eastern group. To the best of my recollection, non-Muslim groups have less "African", perhaps because they participated less in that trade, couldn't take multiple wives etc. On the other hand, the Muslim Middle Easterners have more "steppe", yes? Perhaps again because of the slave trade? There may be other reasons as well, like incorporation of Muslim people from further north.

I wouldn't rely so heavily on gedmatch results. They're based on modern clusters and so can be misleading.

This thread has been viewed 19456 times.

Back