Immigration European Islam : a solution or a fata morgana

bicicleur 2

Reaction score
as allways Europe was very late to wake up and recognize the problem of Muslim fundamentalism

some politicians and so called intellectuals now propose European Islam as a solution :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Islam

it is something that does not exist yet but they suppose that by screening and educating Islamic religious leaders in Europe they can channel Muslims in the right direction and refrain them from fundamentalism

what's your opinion ?

as allways Europe was very late to wake up and recognize the problem of Muslim fundamentalism

some politicians and so called intellectuals now propose European Islam as a solution :

it is something that does not exist yet but they suppose that by screening and educating Islamic religious leaders in Europe they can channel Muslims in the right direction and refrain them from fundamentalism

what's your opinion ?

Just pie in the sky.

It will not work.

what's your opinion ?

For any religion to work there should never be any religious leaders, but if you really want a priest or a cleric , then one year only, should be their once in a lifetime tenure as a leader.
Do you really need these religious leaders! ...........really , what are they good for............you can pray to God without them

Those so-called intellectuals are naive and ignorant in the best case...

I would say, that's about 1300 years late, so its not happening. My point is, although you have a very long history of Islam in Europe (starting with the Umayyad conquest of Iberia), there never was the chance for a distinct "European" Islam to emerge: you had Al-Andalus (early 700s to late 1400s), which was always more or less tied with North Africa and was effectively wiped out in Europe when the reconquista was completed. You have the expansion of Islam into the Balkans with the Ottoman Empire (from which modern Albania and Bosnia stem), which was always tied with the eastern Mediterranean (especially Turkish Anatolia). And you have the recent (20th century) immigration from a variety of Muslim countries (most which were former colonies of the European colonial powers of the 19th century, with few exceptions), and you have ongoing immigration (often with different source areas) in the 21st century. My point is that Islam in Europe today is, by default, heterogenous, pluricentric, and if anything tied to the respective home countries. So, I don't see a distinct "European" Islam emerge any time soon. :innocent:

European Islam can be almost completely different than optimistic proponents believe.

Christians and Atheists in the Balkans have learned through centuries of experience, about different kinds of pressures (soft and hard), there is no end, over and over and again.

People in Western Europe, as people in Eurasia, often don't understand Islam, because they watch Islam from their perspectives (conservative/liberal, Christian/Atheist etc.). However, Islam is almost completely different, someone who is not Muslim must invests a lot of effort and lot of learning to knows what kind of system Islam is.

Few people are willing to devote so much time and effort and superficial knowledge is even worse than none.

What can Europeans do? In this situation very little. Europeans have system which build over 70 years, and much more if we take in account the traditions and cultures to which that system abutted. Europeans can't change it, at least not so fast, and time passes.

What can be useful? Dialog with Islam is needed, I always spoke about the necessity of dialogue. But the best rules for such kind of dialogue are: 1) Non-Muslims: "We hold our territory", 2. Muslims: "We hold your territory". The things are changing if percentage of Muslims become higher and higher in territory 1) (Non-Muslim).

What I say about it; problem is complex and assumption about European Islam is too simplistic (and naive) and can lead to unwanted results.

Remark: I don't hate Islam (it is stupid to hate the religion which belongs to a quarter of Humanity), I'm just pointing that Islam is different, and who wants to be involved in decision/making process, he or she has to much to learn.

It is not Islam that is the problem, it is the awkward interpretation of Islam that some people have - that is the real issue.

This thread has been viewed 250 times.

Back