Reaction score
Ethnic group
more celtic
Y-DNA haplogroup
R1b - L21/S145*
mtDNA haplogroup
H3c
Evolution of languages

https://archaeologynewsnetwork.blogspot.fr/2017/10/the-myth-of-language-history-languages.html

In Eurogenes blog I found this link about language, given in a thread about Neolithic languages of Anatolia peri-Caucasus regions, if I red well. The purpose of the text is to affirm that at the contrary to previous mainstream affirmations, the lexicon of a language evolves less quickly than its grammar. More precisely, it’s presented like that.
Extract : ... [« A large-scale study of Pacific languages reveals that forces driving grammatical change are different to those driving lexical change. Grammar changes more rapidly and is especially influenced by contact with unrelated languages, while words are more resistant to change. An international team of researchers, led by scientists at the Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History, have discovered that a language's grammatical structures change more quickly over time than vocabulary, overturning a long-held assumption in the field.»] ...[Strikingly different processes seemed to be shaping the lexicon and the grammar - the lexicon changed more when new languages were created, while the grammatical structures were more affected by contact with other languages.] … [The present study, by an international team including researchers from the Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History, the Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics, the Australian National University, the University of Oxford, and Uppsala University, addressed this question by comparing both grammatical structures and lexicon for over 80 Austronesian languages.] …
… ["We found striking differences in the overall pattern of rates of change between the basic vocabulary and the grammatical features of a language," explains Simon Greenhill of the Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History, lead author of the study. "The grammatical structures changed much more quickly and seemed to be more likely to be affected by neighboring languages, while the lexicon changed more as new languages were formed". Another of the authors, Stephen Levinson, comments, "This is a bit of an unexpected finding, since many have thought that grammar might give us deeper insight into the linguistic past than vocabulary, but there is still some reason for caution: we compared highly conservative vocabulary with an unfiltered range of grammar variables, and the language family is unusual for the way it diversified during colonization of successive islands, But what is clear is that grammar and vocabulary changes are not closely coupled, even within branches of a family, so looking at them both significantly advances our ability to reconstruct linguistic history."] ...
… [The researchers found that there were specific elements of both vocabulary and grammar that change at a slow rate, as well as elements that change more quickly. One interesting finding was that the slowly evolving grammatical structures tended to be those that speakers are less aware of. Why would this be? When two languages come together, or when one language splits into two, speakers of the languages emphasize or adopt certain elements in order to identify or distinguish themselves from others. We're all familiar with how easily we can distinguish groups among speakers of our own language by accent or dialect, and we often make associations based on those distinctions. Humans in the past did this too and, the researchers hypothesize, this was one of the main drivers of language change. However, if a speaker is unaware of a certain grammatical structure because it is so subtle, they will not try to change it or use it as a marker of group identity. Thus those features of a language often remain stable. The researchers note that the precise features that remain more stable over time are specific to each language group.]…
[The researchers suggest, that although grammar as a whole might not be a better tool for examining language change, a more nuanced approach that combined computational methods with large-scale databases of both grammar and lexicon could allow for a look into the deeper past. Russell Gray, senior author on the paper, says, "One of the really cool things we found was that this approach might allow us to detect when and where speakers of different languages were interacting many thousands of years ago".]…

All that made a huge hole in my ass, I confess.

Questions :
Are these languages of the same family same origin ? Yes, ONE estimated same family (Austronesian).
Have they done a diachronic survey ? No trace of it, at first sight. Only deductions based on modern dialects. But this is a digest made by enthusiastic people, not the whole paper.
What is lexicon evolution for them ? Phonetic evolution of same etymologic words ? I don’t believe so but ?… Replacements of words ? More certainly, I suppose...
What is put under the grammar banner ? Words order ? Morphology ?
Have they taken in account the possible almost complete replacement of a langage by another one (acculturation) ?
What I agree with is that vocabulary and grammar changes are not tightly coupled OK. But the authors of the paper concede (bold letters = <me): « we compared highly conservative vocabulary with an unfiltered range of grammar variables, and the language family is unusual for the way it diversified during colonization of successive islands. »
Unbalanced ‘samples’ in some way. The very specific dispersion of these dialects and a big level of isolation imply we cannot compare their within inter-relations to the ones of IE terrestrian langages as wzell as to the inter-relation between IE and other langages families.
The observation concerning the tendancy to subdialects to accentutate groups differences to mark their differences and appartenance is not stupid, but for me it concerns for the most words pronounciation and choices rather than syntaxis ; even like this, it concersn only some traits and before accentuation of differences you need some basic unwilled differences of pronounciation ; my experience of breton dialects (and others) showed me that
- basic lexicon evolves slower than the remnant of lexicon ; it doesn’t prevent some amazing losts : official German lost the Germanic « head » (‘haupt’) as did Frisian ; in Breton (a so small country) dialects have 5 localized words for « to speak » ! -
- the choice of a unique different synonym (more or less perfect) evolves faster than the shared words phonetic, even in close dialects (here a « local chauvinism » pronounciation can be at work) except in some rare words collecting in them a lot of « sensitive » sounds (diabolic example : « tired », Breton : ‘skwizh’ (Corn- ‘skwith’, absent in Welsh) : from /skwi:z/ to … /[FONT=Liberation Serif, serif]ʃ[/FONT][FONT=Liberation Serif, serif]c[/FONT][FONT=Liberation Serif, serif]ɥ[/FONT][FONT=Liberation Serif, serif]i:z[/FONT]/ ... to /[FONT=Liberation Serif, serif]ʃɥ[/FONT]e.h/.
It’s true after some time the states frontiers and official dialects tend to replace other « brother » dialects and break down the ancient continuum of dialects/subdialects with as a final result barriers between definite different langages ; kind of isoglosses gathering.
- syntaxis, morphology, as a whole, spite some variations of pronunciation, are solid enough, what doesn’t exclude some local innovations.
& : I think some grammatical innovations can take place without external input : for the most in the emphasis cases.
But other factors are playing : languages changes (adoptions) by populations with different linguistic habits, with sometimes strong mutations in grammar ; I suppose it has been the case for some islands in Pacific Ocean. It seems to me that the evolution of IE inflected s with cases declinations towards propositions rich langages could be the consequence of a substratum basis, but I am not sure… As a whole, eastern IE languages preserved better the ancient syntaxis than western ones, but I am not so knowledged concerning syntaxis.
I caanot pass without to see a substratum link between spoken Welsh, Breton and French (at least) in a precise case : the negative evolution :
IE had everywhere a °N° (ne/en) negative element : but in these cases we have :
« the man did not see the sea »
W : *ni(d) welodd y dyn y môr → ‘welodd y dyn ddim o’r môr
Br : *ne wele an den ar mor → ne wele ket an den ar mor → ‘wele ket an den ar mor
Fr : *l’homme ne voyait la mer → l’homme ne voyait pas la mer → l’homme voyait pas la mer
apart the SVO or VSO order, in the negative case, we se the IE negative particle reinforced by another word (not negative in its first meaning in any of the 3 lang.!) and finally disappearing to leave place to the new « help » word. Even French ‘plus’ (= »more »!!!) serves to form a negative (« no more ») wirhour ‘ne’ obliging Franchies to pronounce /plys/ at the affirmative and /ply/ at the negative. This kind of syntaxic evolution cannot be conscious and borne by contacts between pops speaking different languages (no trace in English, I think, nor in other romance langages) . In Welsh and Breton, the « help » negative word was not found in texts before 1000 AD if I don't mistake ; maybe in popular vernacular it came in use and some relations perdured across the Channel, but in French ?

Which is why I ignore the differences between Centum and Satem .............these are irrelevant .
you cannot have ancient ethnic neighbours who have traded with each other for centuries and say they cannot communicate or are related to each other genetically.

Which is why I ignore the differences between Centum and Satem .............these are irrelevant .
you cannot have ancient ethnic neighbours who have traded with each other for centuries and say they cannot communicate or are related to each other genetically.

Could you develop a little more? "I ignore the diff....Satem." "... "irrelevant": in what aspect, concerning what?
I don't catch the opinion carried by your last sentance: "you cannot ... other genetically" and the link you make with the text I cited first (grammar and lexicon evolution speed)... Trade and same collective language are not tightly tied (some bilingual people can do the job);
If you would develop the thread could become interesting.

to myself:
I suppose it has been the case for some islands in Pacific Ocean. It seems to me that the evolution of IE inflected s with cases declinations towards propositions* rich langages could be the consequence of a substratum basis, but I am not sure…
*I want to say: 'prepositions''

This thread has been viewed 3056 times.

Back