- Reaction score
- Ethnic group
Wikiquote is an excellent source to do a bit of "quotation surfing". Here are a few that express well my general attitude to life or that I find particularily well-said (The quotations I selected from Churchill are more witty than profound or true).
- To pray to God is to flatter oneself that with words one can alter nature.
- It is dangerous to be right in matters where established men are wrong.
- There are truths which are not for all men, nor for all times.
- Such then is the human condition, that to wish greatness for one's country is to wish harm to one's neighbours.
- Prejudice is an opinion without judgment.
- Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices.
- No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thinking.
- From fanaticism to barbarism is only one step.
- Reason is to the philosopher what grace is to the Christian... Other men walk in darkness; the philosopher, who has the same passions, acts only after reflection; he walks through the night, but it is preceded by a torch. The philosopher forms his principles on an infinity of particular observations. He does not confuse truth with plausibility; he takes for truth what is true, for forgery what is false, for doubtful what is doubtful, and probable what is probable. The philosophical spirit is thus a spirit of observation and accuracy.
- Distance is a great promoter of admiration!
- Only passions, great passions, can elevate the soul to great things.
- There are things I can't force. I must adjust. There are times when the greatest change needed is a change of my viewpoint.
- To prove the Gospels by a miracle is to prove an absurdity by something contrary to nature.
- What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?
- Never in the field of human conflict has so much, been owed by so many, to so few.
- He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.
- I have always felt that a politician is to be judged by the animosities he excites among his opponents.
- If you are going through hell, keep going.
- Personally I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught.
- The biggest argument against democracy is a five minute discussion with the average voter.
- The Times is speechless and takes three columns to express its speechlessness.
- We are all worms, but I do believe I am a glowworm.
- When I am abroad, I always make it a rule never to criticise or attack the government of my own country. I make up for lost time when I come home.
- When I look back on all these worries, I remember the story of the old man who said on his deathbed that he had had a lot of trouble in his life, most of which had never happened.
- You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
- Bessie Braddock: Sir, you are drunk.
Churchill: And you, madam, are ugly. But in the morning I shall be sober.