Economy Germany about to introduce a minimum wage

I both agree and disagree with the minimum wage. On one hand, yes it provides people with a standard of living but on the other hand does it strangle an economy when it's at it's weakest. In the UK it is £6.09 but what if companies were allowed to pay say £4 for a year. It would certainly boost the UK's ailing economy at the moment. But then again, those £4 jobs would probably be snapped up by immigrants and not domestic residents.

I'm sorry but I'd much rather work for £4 an hour than be on unemployment benefit.

Again, some Pan-European update.

Interesting. To me, this reads: "There's high unemployment in Europe, and certain countries are in need of drastic economic reform. So, we're pursuing an agenda that will increase unemployment, and reform mainly one of the few countries that doesn't really need it."

Nicely summed up Sparkey.

I'd be of the opinion that constant reform is important across all countries, regardless of the level of need. Everywhere, you can find problems, no matter how perfect the situation. In Germany, its about time the minimum wage was given consideration.

Actually, it's quite tricky here in Germany as 7,79€ per hour would be a massive hike in salaries in Berlin and the ex-DDR Länder, but would still leave Bavarians and Hamburgers struggling at the end of the month. Disparities between ex-communist and western Germany can be huge. For example, my own salary is slightly under it, and I am the second-best paid worker at my hotel, with a 25% night premium compared to my day-shift colleagues.

This thread has been viewed 22088 times.

Back