Greek sample with possible ancestry from Souli(Souliotes)

Kari

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Sarakatsani,Pontic Greek
Y-DNA haplogroup
I2a
After hours of digging into gedmatch One-To-Many tool,i found an interesting Greek,who had "Souliotis" as a surname.
After seeing her gedmatch results,i was more confident that she is a Souliote.
She clusters with Cham Albanians,she has minus Slavic admixture,and a siginificant "Aegean" ancestry,like the Chams and the Arvanites.
Here you can see her Eurogenes K13 results and her Gedmatch kit number too.
Screenshot 2023-09-25 150552.png

I know that this surname exists definitely in Thessaly (Karditsa)

I know that this surname exists definitely in Thessaly (Karditsa)
The surname "Souliotis" means the resident of Souli or a man who originates from Souli tho.

The surname "Souliotis" means the resident of Souli or a man who originates from Souli tho.
Yes, but as far as I know, this surname exists mostly in the Agrafa region (σε Θεσσαλικα κι Ευρτανικα Αγραφα). Maybe it indicates just distant ancestry.

Anyway, as you said this is an Albanian-like profile with Aegean-like input, typical for a modern Greek Arvanite/Arvanitovlach either in Epirus or Thessaly

Yes, but as far as I know, this surname exists mostly in the Agrafa region (σε Θεσσαλικα κι Ευρτανικα Αγραφα). Maybe it indicates just distant ancestry.

Anyway, as you said this is an Albanian-like profile with Aegean-like input, typical for a modern Greek Arvanite/Arvanitovlach either in Epirus or Thessaly
Tho this sample is closer to Chams than Arvanites,that maybe explains why Souliotes were originally spoking their own sub-branch of the Cham Albanian dialect

Tho this sample is closer to Chams than Arvanites,that maybe explains why Souliotes were originally spoking their own sub-branch of the Cham Albanian dialect
Could you send her a message and ask her where is she from?

This thread has been viewed 889 times.

Back