Guess the nationality

Hint: Western Europe.

Also, even though it was a joke - these haplogroups are rather low in the country in question. And I didn't really get the second part of your statement - this is the first blondish person I've ever linked.

Hint: Western Europe.

Also, even though it was a joke - these haplogroups are rather low in the country in question. And I didn't really get the second part of your statement - this is the first blondish person I've ever linked.

Do you know this guy haplogroup?

I think it's French.

14pjdv.jpg

R1b..., which means almost anywhere in Europe ...

Australian. Oddly he looks like Victor robert (french tv reporter in the picture) to me

arton14861.jpg

I shall refrain from posting famous people lol. Australian, Irish ancestry.

What features did you take into account to come to the conclusion it's R1b, Dagne?

You forgot to change the name of the file - they're both French. The first guy is clearly of Germanic descent (I would say Scandinavian if I didn't know he's French).

O SH*T !! I didn't check
The first guy is Julien Bonnaire, a French Rugby Player from Isère (not far from Italy!)507px-Is%C3%A8re-Position.svg.png
The other guy is Didier retière is the third coach of the French rugby team. He is from Maine et Loire
507px-Maine-et-Loire-Position.svg.png

Darn, my original thought was that he is a rugby player, you can always tell. But I probably would have picked him as English rather than French.

Remy_Martin_584546.jpgRemyMartin-PAPhotos.jpgAn other French rugby Player from Provence (South Eastern France): Rémy Martin

Yeah, obviously French people are quite diverse and their ethnicity ranges from strictly Nordic to Mediterranean. If my memory serves me well the majority is predominantly Celtic but they got their name from the Franks who were Germanic (nordic), right?

As you said a majority of French people have Celtic background. Though, France took its name from the Franks , only some parts of the territory (Normandy, French Flander, Alsace-moselle, Burgundy) have Germanic influences.You can find mediterranean type as well in the south.

Hmm.. The Franks were not Nordic.

Some areas have Nordic influence, like Normandy, Flanders, Zealand, Holland, Friesland.
In France, Belgium and The Netherlands. Along the coastline, where the Northmen settled.

According to wikipedia the Franks were a West Germanic tribe and therefore they must've been Nordic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franks

All Nordic are Germanic, but not all Germanic are Nordic.

Nordic stands for Scandinavia.
That means.. Denmark, Norway, Sweden.
The Franks did have no link with Scandinavia ever.

Sigh.

All Nordic are Germanic, but not all Germanic are Nordic.

Nordic stands for Scandinavia.
That means.. Denmark, Norway, Sweden.
The Franks did have no link with Scandinavia ever.

Sigh.
It depends on the definition of 'Nordic' you adopt. Basically Europeans are subdivided into three main groups: Nordic, Alpine and Mediterranean. If we use this meaning, then all the true Germanic people could be described as Nordic. If we use the other one, namely Nordic as the Scandinavian countries only, then it is what you said. In the latter case, however, it is more of a geographical rather than ethnic term.

It depends on the definition of 'Nordic' you adopt. Basically Europeans are subdivided into three main groups: Nordic, Alpine and Mediterranean. If we use this meaning, then all the true Germanic people could be described as Nordic. If we use the other one, namely Nordic as the Scandinavian countries only, then it is what you said. In the latter case, however, it is more of a geographical rather than ethnic term.

The defenitions you mention: Nordic, Alpine and Mediterranean are obsolete.
It was pure speculation in the hands of lunatics.
Lunatics like Adolf Hitler for instance.
They didn't know a hooting hell about genetics back then!

DNA research blew it up. It's as simple as that.

But still many Americans believe the Nordic fairy tales.
They even believe Dan Brown's books are true. :startled:

I stand corrected. What, if any, are the contemporary terms then?

This thread has been viewed 108492 times.

Back