Debate How big do you think is the Universe?

How big is the Universe in Volume times Mass ?

• Total voters
you should reserve the sama for people like Frank or others who know what they are talking about... :D

:( all them -sama suffixes going to waste on a den4 :(
the great sadness of the universe....no matter how big the universe is, there is no greater crime than a -sama wasted... :D

?V?q Master Lao came before Mr. Mruphy

Master Laozi ?V?q lightens your sorrow, dear den4-sama. :biggrin:

?V?q chapter 5: ?V?n?s?m, ???ݕ??䍋?; ???l?s?m, ?ȕS???䍋?. Heaven is without mercy, it will take anything to make a sacrificial grass-dog effigy; the sage-king is not benevolent, taking any person to make a sacrificial grass-dog effigy to be dumped and kicked around before it is burned.

?V?q chapter 79: ?V?????e, ???o?P?l. The dao of Heaven lacks nepotism, always bestowing kindness to any man.

Therefore if people call you sama, do not fight it; just let them and turn them into a sacrificial grass-dog effigy. :clap:

?V?q chapter 1: ???–?, ??햼. As for a name, if it can be used for naming something anew, it is not one that has been has been used for naming before. ????, ?V?n?V?n. ?L??, ?ݕ??V??. The state of lacking a name is the time when heaven and earth was in the womb; the state of having a name is the time when the ten thousand objects were born and being nursed.

Therefore if people give you a name, do not fight it; just let them and collect birthday presents for yourself, or a pacifier. :clap:

Master Bruce Lee also said, "Be like running water," just flow with the wind, free as the wind, that is the way, you should be ~ :wave:

Did Master Lee actually say be like Running Water? Which tribe of Native Americans is Running Water from :? We need to find this Running Water to see what Master Lee saw in him or her. Perhaps Flow with the Wind or Free as the Wind may be the buddies of Running Water. Maybe that's why I never know anything is because I just don't know who these people are.... :?
Thank you, Lexico-sama for enlightening me on why I know nothing... :eek:

creation and destruction happen all the time, its a cycle that has no end, once something is created it dies. creation its self is a mystery. we cant put a begining on something with no end. scientists who try and say the universe is such and such years old are just plugging in numbers based off of man made equations. i believe it is infinite, weather it be in a physical state or any other dimension that could exsist.

RockLee said:
The universe is expanding, but at a point it will stop and the reverse process will happen.So it's not infinite...I don't think infinite exists in space :souka:
That's exactly what I was thinking. :cool:

what happens when it does exist? :?

Are you referring to the either..or statement of duff_o_josh ?
Are you demanding the consequences of an exclusive or, or XOR in your field ?

If the answer is yes, (to the second possibility) then "duff_o_josh is saying that (among other things) the universe in not in this world."

If not, then, there are at least two universes existing in parallel. That would make the word "uni-verse" an oxymoron, demanding a correction of it as "di-verse, bi-verse, or multi-verse."

If your question is not a lexical one, but a semantic one, then I would say, wel... I'll wait until duff_o_josh has a chance to see your question. :blush:

what happens if duff doesn't see the question? :eek: :?

I believe in the oscillating Universe.

I think universe is finite in space. If it were infinite the forces would be equal everywhere, and it wouldn't expend. It wouldn't contract either.
But if we add time dimension, and if the universe expends forever, then universe might be infinite in 4th dimension.

Seeing that we owe the belief on an expanding universe to Hubble's observations, and the Dopler effect, one cannot as of yet argue with that. However, one is led to believe that matter/energy in itself only transcends and does not tend to cease existing (because of dark matter and dark energy we are handicapped to observe everything, therefore we can only attach our reasoning and beliefs, that might after all be incorrect). Because it is yet unobservable whether the Universe is oriented towards a Big Crunch (if this were to be the case, one see the color of radiation from distant galaxies as blue, not red), then we are forced to assume the Universe is expanding. But to what? The most distant observable galaxies in their evolution of forming do not resemble "old galaxies" (as we assume they would be), they seem quite regular ones. In itself space always exists, it is not an attribute of matter, matter rather changes its pattern. So in essence space is infinite, time is an attribute of matter, and if there is a constant matter/energy on the Universe it could expand infinitely, therefore be infinite. This is only assuming there is not somewhere a constant generator of matter/energy. Regardless of all of these, I still think that the evolution of the Universe should in itself consist of a collapse and a regeneration, but an infinite one.

then we are forced to assume the Universe is expanding. But to what?
There is a total nothing beyond our universe. Our space, the ether, is something, though perceived so empty. I visualize our space as a fabric made of strings. They are interconnected at the ends with other strings. This fabric of space is vast as cosmos but it has edges, beyond that there is no space, no matter, no energy, no time. We could not physically exist outside of our space. If there was something beyond our cosmos we would encounter resistance and our universe couldn’t expend. I wonder what happens to a star that reaches the end of space. Does it bounce back or splashes like a tomato on the wall, lol.
There is some similarity of expending space to word processor program. It always starts with one blank page. You cannot write wherever on the page but only at the beginning of page. There is room for one character and cursor. But if you use space button, depress it, it will start creating a space. When you hold it all the time, it will create space on this page, then next page will popup, and so on. Now you can write anywhere you want in places behind cursor that created space. If you keep writing more pages will be generated. Now you have 4 pages, that’s your writing universe. What’s beyond it? Nothing, you have your 4 pages, that’s all there is. But if you continue using space or any characters, the space will expend to 5 pages, 10,…to infinity and beyond, lol.
We are located somewhere in the middle of universe, at least far enough from edges that we can’t see the end of space. It could mean also that space might be round, like a surface of an expending balloon. Little ant can walk around it and never find the end. Possibly space is like a toroid, it looks like a doughnut with a hole in a middle.

In itself space always exists, it is not an attribute of matter, matter rather changes its pattern.
As I mentioned above, I see space as a fabric of interlinked strings. They are not stiff rods, they are more like elastic springs. They bend like vaulter’s pole, and if more energy is applied it can band more to create a loop, and possibly coil up like a spring. Now if we introduce a lot of energy in small place of space, many strings will coil up, sort of collapse into a small nugget. Some of these strings collapse into a stable, balanced form that we call matter. Therefore in my mind, matter is nothing more than many densely collapsed strings of space, with help of lot of energy.
Under certain conditions strings will become unstable, matter will annihilate releasing all the energy used in collapsing it, and will leave behind unfolded space, fabric of space.

Interesting is how matter moves through space. Imagine that space is static, the strings don’t move much, they don’t change their positions. Matter is not separated from space. The strings that build matter are still interconnected with strings in surrounding space. It actually stretches surrounding strings, and condenses them around itself, creating bent space around it, that we call gravity.
So how matter can move without ripping the space, and the connected with it strings? It doesn’t move like a car through the air, cutting it and making a wind. Our little nugget of matter collapses new strings on itself in directions it moves, and unfolds them in opposite direction. The space doesn’t move, the mater moves more like wave of energy, condensing the space into matter, and unfolding it behind into space.
Do you remember old screensaver called the lens effect? The moving lens was nothing much but a circular distortion, in shape of a lens, and only this distortion was moving through the screen.
That’s basically how I see mater and space, and how mater moves through it.

Last edited:
and in addition there may well be an infinitive number of parallel universes ...

There is no reason why not.
Unless we are so special that the universe was built only for us...
... with 500 billion stars in our galaxy, and about trillion galaxies around us with billion of billions of billions of planets.

The must be a point where nothing exists. This would be the end of the universe. If there are no atoms then nothing exists to be called a universe.
Or perhaps not. Its too deep a subject to grasp.
But then again if the universe is infinite. I can point in any direction and I am pointing to infinity. This makes me the centre of the universe.

This thread has been viewed 36572 times.

Back