How Have You Been Affected By American Entertainment?

Not really. On every other instrument (well, not the other strings) there is usually only one place to play something. On some there are two or three places to play a few notes, but on the guitar you can play the fourth space in treble clef (E5) in six different places. That's as extreme as it gets, but on the piano that note only exists in one place. Most notes on the guitar can be played in at least three places, so picking which one is best for a given situation can be difficult at times, especially when all of the available fingerings are difficult.

Shooter452 said:
*rolls eyes* Does it? I suppose we could debate that for some time. However I do not discount your opinion, only that the jury is truly still out on it.

I would expect a verdict would be a long time coming, but what do you think?

*winking*

I've had enough people tell me that I don't sound like I'm from Louisiana without them ever having been to Louisiana to believe that entertainment affects opinions and beliefs. If all you know about something is in movies or on TV, then what else are you going to believe?

Glenn said:
Not really. On every other instrument (well, not the other strings) there is usually only one place to play something. On some there are two or three places to play a few notes, but on the guitar you can play the fourth space in treble clef (E5) in six different places. That's as extreme as it gets, but on the piano that note only exists in one place. Most notes on the guitar can be played in at least three places, so picking which one is best for a given situation can be difficult at times, especially when all of the available fingerings are difficult.

When I play the guitar, I somehow have developed the bad habit of coming up with the most difficult way to play a simple part. Can make things difficult sometimes.

I'd like to know how many of our non-American members are fans of shows like The Simpsons and Seinfeld. The Aussies, Kiwis, and Canucks I knew in Japan liked these shows, but I don't know about Brits. I'm a big fan of the Red Dwarf series.

Sometimes it seems as though only the worst of American entertainment gets spread to other countries, especially to Asia. The good stuff simply does not have the promotional budget. I know that stuff like Britney, Eminem, and the like is big in Japan. I can't imagine how I would react if a Japanese person asked my opinion of the last linkin park album simply because I'm American.

cicatriz esp said:
Sometimes it seems as though only the worst of American entertainment gets spread to other countries, especially to Asia.

Not to mention things like McDonald's. I think McDonald's sums up most of what America exports: it's not good, but there's something about it that "the masses" can't resist. It's all about marketing to the least common denominator.

Well, most TV-shows i watch here are american, most movies too. This has led to me thinking that american english sounds more natural than british english, but the schools mainly teaches british english. So i speak a mix of american and british english.

This thread has been viewed 1845 times.

Back