Question How would you do when facing robbers?

I think it's good to mentally prepared for the situation like that so you will know how to react because it can happen to anybody.

As most of the others said, I would try to run away first, if they came after me, I would scream "Help!" as loud as I could and call the police.

I think it is good, that all there parents let there child do a defence sport.. even it is just for a year... or that a school teach children self defence.. ( no attack, just defence)

Problem is that you can know moves and stuff, but there is a difference when you are faced with the real situation, i think you need to be mentally prepared at first.

Personally (with the exception of Frank and others who have had special training and been in volatile situations like this before), I doubt most ppl would be able to actually think rationally in that kind of situation. It's easy to post what someone *would like to think they would do* but in reality, fight-or-flight kicks in and without the ability to steel yourself from panicking, most ppl who DON'T follow the wishes of the perp explicitly end up doing something rash and stupid. The end result usually being a misfortunate turn of events for one or all parties involved...

I can't tell what I would do in the situation... sometimes I worry because I am the sort of person who acts before thinking :sorry: When I was younger I got into lots of stupid fights because of always fighting guys or people bigger than me :bluush: I hope I got more mature now and would try to run away. But there is no predicting - even now, I find often in some situations adrenalin(e? - sp) kicks in and I just... get somehow crazy... :(

It would depend if I had enough breathing space to feel fear (for instance, if surrounded for several minutes by a large, menacing group closing in), in which case, I think just, shight! how can I get outta here???; or if it was sudden, surprise attack.

Iron Chef said:
Personally (with the exception of Frank and others who have had special training and been in volatile situations like this before), I doubt most ppl would be able to actually think rationally in that kind of situation. It's easy to post what someone *would like to think they would do* but in reality, fight-or-flight kicks in and without the ability to steel yourself from panicking, most ppl who DON'T follow the wishes of the perp explicitly end up doing something rash and stupid. The end result usually being a misfortunate turn of events for one or all parties involved...

exatcly my point, if you havent been in such situations before you are not mentally prepared, in these situations, at least i beleive it to be, the mind is the crucial player, being rational and cool is probaply the most important factor

Ma Cherie said:
Strange, I would think a gun is more dangerous, simply because at times when someone is shot, they don't they've been shot until a few minutes later. You know the delayed reaction type of situation. :souka:
Knife wounds can be pretty nasty, and especially when someone slits your throat :S

I hate people that will offer to end someones life over a stupid cellphone... really is it that necessary? Surely they could just go to a nightclub, I have seen plenty of cellphones just lying around, infact im guilty of leaving my own phone on a table one night after a few too many, luckily I got it back.
I remember a couple of years ago on Christmas eve I was walking down the main street in Auckland (NZ) and there were these little street kids (14-17years old at a guess) who had some guns from some cheap toy store, I had seen them and their friends playing around with them. After walking maybe 10 metres more I noticed in the park that they had an asian guy on his knees begging for his life with a gun against his head. Luckily I had seen these guys friends just before, so I knew that the gun wasnt real. Having a loud potty mouth helps in these situations and I started running over, screaming and causing a scene and they ran away just as the guy was getting his wallet out of his pocket. Sadly this guy (who turned out to be Japanese) wasnt the only one to be targeted. Another friends friend had a knife pointed at her a week later in exactly the same place (she was Japanese also) and didnt have anyone to help, so she lost everything she came to New Zealand with (she was walking to the youth hostel with all of their luggage).
Im sure that this is nothing in comparison to what other people have heard/seen, but would these young thugs really be prepared to kill for so little?
I think I would put up a bit of a fight, I get a bit lippy at times. Lucky for all of those horrible people that have robbed me in my life!

This thread has been viewed 21065 times.

Back