Human Paleogenetics of Europe-Brandt and Haak

That's certainly an interesting idea, Angela, and it would fit some things together nicely. And even if I turn out to be right in thinking that BB may be associated with the Iberian subclade of R1b, that doesn't mean that all R1b reached Europe by the same route if the dispersal point was Anatolia. I wasn't expecting the upcoming paper to say that the Yamana samples contain R1b but if they do, I'd bet on it being specifically the Italo-Celtic subclade and would see it as possibly supporting your theory of Anatolia via the steppes.

Arguing that Bell Beaker folk came across Europe from the east is certainly problematic, since the archeological evidence supports the idea of an expansion from Iberia. So I suspect that BB folk did travel by sea or across North Africa to Iberia before expanding from there. I don't see the fact that we have no BB Y DNA samples other than the two from Germany as proof of anything, so I don't think either theory can be considered proven until we have more genetic data about BB. The lack of Y DNA data from Iberia certainly doesn't prove or disprove anything.

what proof do you see in support of a North African route to Iberia?

Angela

I don't know if that will fly, because in northern Italy, for example, you see the same phenomenon, i.e. "Mediterranean" type skulls, and then, with new types of artifacts etc., a new skull shape. It's the "Beaker", "Dinaric" type that is intrusive

Fair enough. I'm very iffy on whether BB were IE. It seems to me they might have been orphaned traders or displaced refugees from one or more of the disappeared copper working cultures in the Balkans which potentially could have spread in all directions or maybe somewhere entirely different.

My thoughts on the IE option are based on taking each possibility in turn and saying *if* they were from X then how might they have come to be a) so widespread and seemingly along trade networks and b) such a big deal population wise along the Atlantic coast but much less so elsewhere. It's stretch any way you look at it imo but the most plausible explanation to me if you start with the IE premise as a fixed point is lactose tolerant metal workers who stumbled onto a mostly empty ecozone they were adapted for.

On balance though I still think displaced non-IE copper workers from the disappeared Balkan cultures is more likely.

Jean Manco has promoted some version of this theory for years.

I probably got it from there then. I tend to read multiple things at once and forget where different pieces came from.

As for the specific route, what she proposes is that at some point during the movement up the Danube, a group split off and left the river route, took off across the Balkans by land ... and then went by sea to Iberia. Respectfully, that doesn't make sense to me. It seems to me that given the hardships and slowness of land travel in the heavily forested Europe of that time, they would either have used the sea, hugging the shore and looking for likely looking metal configurations in the mountains, or they would have hugged the seacoast.

Yes, or rivers - until you hit the source - then you have to go overland for a bit until you find the source of a new river on the other side of the watershed. Hence (imo) the IE piling up around the source of the Danube and Hallstatt developing around the watershed between the Rhine and Danube.

Looking purely at the physical geography the likely spots for what became the Italic branch to break off from what became the Celtic branch might have been either through Croatia to reach Italy from the north east or over the Alps from the north.

http://education.randmcnally.com/images/edpub/Europe_Physical_Int.png

As you say given human nature's inclination to path of least resistance the latter case would seem more likely i.e. they went over mountains rather than following the valleys only when they were blocked by the Danube running out and no longer had a choice, or if it was the former case through Croatia then maybe the advance up the Danube was temporarily blocked by a strong culture in the Hungarian plain they hadn't defeated yet.

The sea part to Iberia is the easiest bit to imagine imo (if BB were mainly traders) as there were already trade networks in place from the Atlantic megalith culture.

Although - despite all the above - a sea route following trade ports all the way to Iberia seems at least as likely.

To my knowledge, nobody disappeared along this particular route.

Cucuteni, various Balkan cultures and LBK seem to have disappeared or been submerged along the central Danubian route and Globular Amphora and Funnelbeaker along the northern forest route. (Not necessarily related to IE but maybe.)

I think the Willerslev paper on Kostenki 14 has confused everybody ... As you can see, the Lazaridis et al "Basal Eurasian" is completely separate from both WHG and ANE.

I agree labeling is a bit of a nightmare in this but I don't think it's all down to him. "Basal Eurasian" has a pretty specific meaning so if it's completely separate it's not Basal.

Personally I think it is Basal Eurasian with ASE deriving from it and ANE deriving from ASE (leading to the Basal signal itself getting diluted with each layer) but that remains to be seen. I think the bigger confusion is "EEF" as it's a composite of Basal and WHG but which many people seem to treat as if it was simply Basal.

As an aside I think the labeling will turn out to be:

current Basal should be WHG (i.e. Basal are the western aka African border zone, HGs imo)
current WHG should be ASE (ASE HGs coming up from the direction of India into northern Eurasia and west from there)
current EEF should be mixed Basal and ASE (in the border zone between the two)
actual early farmers -> one segment of mixed Basal/ASE from somewhere in the general vicinity of the the Kurdish highlands who developed farming
current ANE -> as they are but derived from ASE (with maybe another archaic mix involved in the process?)

Anyway, too much of this rooting about in the ancient human tree gives me a headache

This is very true. I tend to only think about it in bursts because after a while I baffle myself - especially over BB.

I'd just add however, that none of this has much to do with the main takeaways of the Lazaridis paper.

I'd agree with that. I think the main difference is the addition of an ASE population as the main derived basal in Eurasia before the east-west split so on a large scale it's more important for the global picture. In Europe I think its main significance is in terms of particular populations living up mountains in Iberia who have a lot more EEF than you'd expect given the terrain (unless like me you think EEF is simply a mixture of Basal HGs and ASE HGs and only some of it is from farmers - although maybe most of it in the regions that were suitable for the neolithic farming package).

That's certainly an interesting idea, Angela, and it would fit some things together nicely. And even if I turn out to be right in thinking that BB may be associated with the Iberian subclade of R1b, that doesn't mean that all R1b reached Europe by the same route if the dispersal point was Anatolia. I wasn't expecting the upcoming paper to say that the Yamana samples contain R1b but if they do, I'd bet on it being specifically the Italo-Celtic subclade and would see it as possibly supporting your theory of Anatolia via the steppes.
BB is Mesolithic I1 and I2 Y-DNA as well as Paleolithic mtDna U5 and Mesolithic founder mtDna group H.

R1b arrived in the Bronze Age; in theory.

I would be impressed if you could prove R1b was in Western Europe (or Iberia) as early as 8000+ BC. You claim that there may have been several migrations of R1b?

I'm going with Maciamo's theory on how the Basque men became R1b. (And I am guessing the men were originally Y-DNA I2 and I1. As he may have theorized. On the other hand; this probably would explain why both Iberia, Western France, Sardinia and Norway have the highest portions of mtDna H.)

Although, with the vast amounts of a forested European land/continent (during that time); I can cast doubts into the theory that Indo-European nomadic horseman carrying R1b slaughtered indigenous populations; and took their women, rather than assimilated. Europe wasn't a steppe like parts of Western Russia. So your theory may have some legitimacy. Unless these Indo-Europeans knew how to venture through foreign woods with their "superior technology".

It still makes me wonder why these Mesolithic men (probably I2 and I1) in theory; were easily taken down by the invading R1b men. When the Mesolithic men were already indigenous and familiar with Western Europe and had plenty of time to take refuge. (Maybe Paleolithic or Mesolithic Sardinia would be the answers for these questions? At present, Sardinians are predominantly Y-DNA I2 and mtDna H. Which shows a very old-Europe population.)

BB is Mesolithic I1 and I2 Y-DNA as well as Paleolithic mtDna U5 and Mesolithic founder mtDna group H.

I would be impressed if you could prove R1b was in Western Europe (or Iberia) as early as 8000+ BC. You claim that there may have been several migrations of R1b?

I'm going with Maciamo's theory on how the Basque men became R1b. (And I am guessing the men were originally Y-DNA I2 and I1. As he may have theorized. On the other hand; this probably would explain why both Iberia, Western France, Sardinia and Norway have the highest portions of mtDna H.)

Although, with the vast amounts of a forested European land/continent (during that time); I can cast doubts into the theory that Indo-European nomadic horseman carrying R1b slaughtered indigenous populations; and took their women, rather than assimilated. Europe wasn't a steppe like parts of Western Russia. So your theory may have some legitimacy. Unless these Indo-Europeans knew how to venture through foreign woods with their "superior technology".

It still makes me wonder why these Mesolithic men (probably I2 and I1) in theory; were easily taken down by the invading R1b men. When the Mesolithic men were already indigenous and familiar with Western Europe and had plenty of time to take refuge. (Maybe Paleolithic or Mesolithic Sardinia would be the answers for these questions? At present, Sardinians are predominantly Y-DNA I2 and mtDna H. Which shows a very old-Europe population.)

"It still makes me wonder why these Mesolithic men (probably I2 and I1) in theory; were easily taken down by the invading R1b men."

If you divide Europe into three east-west channels: 1) north of the Carpathians, 2) Danube and 3) coastal then they didn't. In the northern strip they incorporated them into the gang, in the central strip the mesolithics had already mostly been replaced by farmers so the more mobile R1 just had to raid the settled farmers until they collapsed under the pressure one region at a time.

Has anyone ever read about the ancient tribes of Sardinia? I believe there was an ancient civilization on Sardinia called the Nuragi. I believe Greek colonists noted that 3 non Indo-European tribes migrated into Sardinia. Centuries prior to the Moorish conquests of Sardinia. I believe one tribe was called the Balari, which were thought to be related to the Basque people. (Although it seems that Gascon-Iberian R1b is not very abundant in Sardinian men. But mtDna H1 and H3 are seen in both Basque and Sardinian women at a very high frequency.)

I often wonder if the mtDna H of Sardinia is from Europe or is it from North Africa? Or both? I believe that one of the tribes of Sardinia was noted by the Greeks; to possibly be from North Africa, and may have even spoke an Afro-Asiatic tongue. The other two were thought to have migrated by boat from Iberia. But these three tribes migrated long before the Muslim conquest of Iberia and Sardinia.

Has anyone ever read about the ancient tribes of Sardinia? I believe there was an ancient civilization on Sardinia called the Nuragi. I believe Greek colonists noted that 3 non Indo-European tribes migrated into Sardinia. Centuries prior to the Moorish conquests of Sardinia. I believe one tribe was called the Balari, which were thought to be related to the Basque people. (Although it seems that Gascon-Iberian R1b is not very abundant in Sardinian men. But mtDna H1 and H3 are seen in both Basque and Sardinian women at a very high frequency.)

I often wonder if the mtDna H of Sardinia is from Europe or is it from North Africa? Or both? I believe that one of the tribes of Sardinia was noted by the Greeks; to possibly be from North Africa, and may have even spoke an Afro-Asiatic tongue. The other two were thought to have migrated by boat from Iberia. But these three tribes migrated long before the Muslim conquest of Iberia and Sardinia.

Where they find a mutation from a marker does not indicate origin of original marker, example, Ust is K-M526 found in siberia ~15000 years after origin of K-M526 on the border of modern India and Burma ...........basically not all markers mutate.
When they say that R1b-U152 origins are in rhine area central Germany, it means thats where its first mutated, it means the person left central-asia as R1 and either reached Germany to mutate or his descents reached Germany to mutuate

There are in my haplogroup some non-mutated basal T-M184 on the danube river in southern germany that to this day have not mutated even though this marker is some 50000 years old and has origins as some say in eastern iran.

There is no way these professionals know the path taken by any marker from basal origin to mutuated origin

what proof do you see in support of a North African route to Iberia?

I haven't said there's proof they took an African route. I simply said that since there's been quite a bit of archeology done in Europe with no trace of BB east of the BB/Corded Ware boundary, if BB was an intrusive culture it must have arrived in Iberia either along the Mediterranean or from North Africa. Of course, some people are still arguing that BB evolved in situ, despite the differences in mtDNA when comparing BB with other late Neolithic sites in western Europe. But we won't know for sure until we have some Y DNA data from Iberian BB sites. As you know, Y is the one that changes quickly enough to give us info about human migrations.

I assume you've read the info Maciamo created in the Genetics section of this website, which explains that there are three main subclades of R1b in western Europe. I'm only arguing that the "Iberian" subclade, which is also found further north, is associated with Bell Beaker. I'm not sure about the "Germanic" subclade and the "Italo-Celtic" subclade seems to have been associated with an IE expansion out of Austria in the Bronze Age. Old I2 has been found in Iberia and goes back to the pre-Neolithic but early I1 hasn't been found in Iberia, AFAIK. And since BB arrived in Iberia after 3000 BC, it fits with the idea of R1b arriving in Iberia in the late Neolithic. I certainly never said R1b arrived in Iberia in the Mesolithic - there was no BB presence in Iberia back then.

I assume you've read the info Maciamo created in the Genetics section of this website, which explains that there are three main subclades of R1b in western Europe. I'm only arguing that the "Iberian" subclade, which is also found further north, is associated with Bell Beaker. I'm not sure about the "Germanic" subclade and the "Italo-Celtic" subclade seems to have been associated with an IE expansion out of Austria in the Bronze Age. Old I2 has been found in Iberia and goes back to the pre-Neolithic but early I1 hasn't been found in Iberia, AFAIK. And since BB arrived in Iberia after 3000 BC, it fits with the idea of R1b arriving in Iberia in the late Neolithic. I certainly never said R1b arrived in Iberia in the Mesolithic - there was no BB presence in Iberia back then.
But take in consideration ... Mesolithics may have been predominantly Y-DNA I.

I1 may have been more prevalent among Mesolithic men; in the Northern of Europe. (Scandinavia, Benelux, maybe the British Islands) while Mesolithic I2 men were probably mainly confined to Central and Western Europe. It could also be why pre-Celto-Germanic I2a2 (P214) is seen in Central/Mainland populations like Germany and Switzerland; if in theory, the I2 men were mostly insular from I1 men.)

Now, maybe we would have explanations why I1 is found in Scandinavia at a high frequency among Nordics. While I2 men are a lot rarer in Scandinavia; and I2 is found on Mainland Europe. Sardinia may have the explanation for this: it's found on an insular island like Sardinia; and is known to bear an ancient population, and is also isolated by sea.

Both regions (Scandinavia + Sardinia) seem to be isolated by the sea. And it probably would make sense that these pre-Y-DNA I1/I2 men may have crossed these islands through ice, following the melting LGM. Later on, it would also make a tribe of R1 horsemen much more difficult to cross into these regions/islands; and decimate the indigenous Y-DNA I men. It would take an extremely long time for R1 men to make it into these regions; (Scandinavia + Sardinia) if they were traveling with horses.

I1 may have been more prevalent among Mesolithic men; in the Northern of Europe. (Scandinavia, Benelux, maybe the British Islands) while Mesolithic I2 men were probably mainly confined to Central and Western Europe. It could also be why pre-Celto-Germanic I2a2 (P214) is seen in Central/Mainland populations like Germany and Switzerland; if in theory, the I2 men were mostly insular from I1 men.)

Ancient DNA taken so far contradicts you here. We have Y-DNA from Mesolithic Scandinavia and the Benelux already, and everything that has been tested to that level has been I2 (and F if you count Pitted Ware). The only I1 found so far to predate TMRCA estimates of modern I1 is a Neolithic sample from Hungary. If anything, we might be seeing a split with I2 being common and leaning to the west and I1 being rare and leaning to the east, but obviously we need more I1 samples to draw any big conclusions.

Now, maybe we would have explanations why I1 is found in Scandinavia at a high frequency among Nordics. While I2 men are a lot rarer in Scandinavia; and I2 is found on Mainland Europe. Sardinia may have the explanation for this: it's found on an insular island like Sardinia; and is known to bear an ancient population, and is also isolated by sea.

I think that a much more likely explanation for the lack of I2 but abundance of I1 in Scandinavia is, simply, that there is no real continuity between modern and Mesolithic Y-DNA lineages in Scandinavia. The I1 currently in Scandinavia is obviously a relative latecomer. The most Scandinavian-leaning of the major I1 clades is L22, which has its separation with Z131 estimated at 4500 YBP, and has most of its major subclades estimated to a TMRCA of about 3000 YBP. So we're looking well within a Neolithic timeframe. Suggesting a Corded Ware introduction wouldn't be unreasonable. But the question remains, where was I1 concentrated before it sprung into Scandinavia? Everywhere from Germany to SE Europe seems within range, based on how little we know.

Both regions (Scandinavia + Sardinia) seem to be isolated by the sea. And it probably would make sense that these pre-Y-DNA I1/I2 men may have crossed these islands through ice, following the melting LGM. Later on, it would also make a tribe of R1 horsemen much more difficult to cross into these regions/islands; and decimate the indigenous Y-DNA I men. It would take an extremely long time for R1 men to make it into these regions; (Scandinavia + Sardinia) if they were traveling with horses.

The I2 currently in Sardinia also appears to be the result of a relatively recent introduction and expansion, see here. I very much doubt Mesolithic continuity of Y-DNA lineages there, as well. But it is worth mentioning that there is hardly any ANE autosomal component in Sardinians. If we associate that with horsemen, your point may stand anyway.

I haven't said there's proof they took an African route. I simply said that since there's been quite a bit of archeology done in Europe with no trace of BB east of the BB/Corded Ware boundary, if BB was an intrusive culture it must have arrived in Iberia either along the Mediterranean or from North Africa. Of course, some people are still arguing that BB evolved in situ, despite the differences in mtDNA when comparing BB with other late Neolithic sites in western Europe. But we won't know for sure until we have some Y DNA data from Iberian BB sites. As you know, Y is the one that changes quickly enough to give us info about human migrations.

yet, though the style is not exact the same, the coarse bell beaker ceramics resemble corded ware and yamnaya ceramics

The I2 currently in Sardinia also appears to be the result of a relatively recent introduction and expansion, see here. I very much doubt Mesolithic continuity of Y-DNA lineages there, as well. But it is worth mentioning that there is hardly any ANE autosomal component in Sardinians. If we associate that with horsemen, your point may stand anyway.

this is almost a certainty
mesolithic findings are very rare on Sardinia, and the Sardinian mesolithic ends 10.000 years ago
the Sardinian cardial ware neolithic started 8000 years ago in Sardinia, after having been uninhabited for 2000 years
I guess they were either G2a or I-M26
this is also a hint toward the possible origin of I-M26

H1 and H3 are both too widespread to have originated in Europe but they both arrived in Europe with the first G2a Neolithic farmers. My own clade, H1c was found in a Funnelbeaker individual. R1b Bell Beaker's route to Europe had to go through the Middle East, which is where mtDNA H originated (and possibly light skin too), they probably carried with them several clades of H1 and H3 as well as many others. H1 was probably widespread in the Near East before its migration into Europe. My guess is Bell Beakers were probably a somewhat EEF group autosomally from admixture in the Near East.

H1 is common in the Libyan Tuareg who have their own clade (H1v) the subclades in the Basques (H1r,H1t) are different from the subclades found in Scandinavia and Eastern Europe (H1c, H1a). This goes to show that different H1 groups had different routes out of the middle east to different locations, not all spread by one group but rather spread by many.

The scenario I believe makes the most sense is that beginning with the first Neolithic farmers each group that migrated into Europe carried with them a variety of mtDNA H clades, but with a significant amount of the H clades falling under H1. The first farmers only had a bit of mtDNA H and a lot of mtDNA K, Bell Beakers didn't have the mtDNA K but more H. This would imply that all groups migrating into Europe were somewhat EEF autosomally, which makes sense. Corded Ware was probably higher in ANE versus Bell Beaker.

23andme has some really good maps on mtDNA H, I put this (massive lol) image together to share.

qneHZtz.jpg

This thread has been viewed 19028 times.

Back