If Azeris are European, why can't Turkey be part of the European nations?

I think Turkey and Turks as a nation and ethnicity can be regarded as much European as Azerbaijan is.

Edit: Maybe i posted in the wrong sub forum. "Ethno-Cultural Discussion" would fit better for this subject.

Culturally, economically, politically Turkey seems more Westernized, while Azerbaijan as a nation and ethnicity are rather on the Middle Eastern side on the spectrum.

I've nothing against Azeris, but it's just as much a far stretch if someone would say Israel can be part of the European community despite the completely different cultural basis and laws.
The closest groups in Europe living today to Azeris in terms of culture may be Tatar groups and the Turkish minority in the Balkans, with a far stretch I'd say Gagauzes and the Muslim part of the Balkans.

-In Ancient Times , Anatolia was "european" due to the ancient tribes having a non-semitic group of languages , the Hatti, Luwians, Hittite, Palaic and all the others.

-The Turks arrived in Anatolia in 1100AD from Iran via central Asia

-I cannot see why Turkey cannot enter Eurovision, but to join Europe with its non Gender equality rules is an issue ................but is Azerbaijn European, what about the Armenians then? or Georgians?

-In Ancient Times , Anatolia was "european" due to the ancient tribes having a non-semitic group of languages , the Hatti, Luwians, Hittite, Palaic and all the others.

-The Turks arrived in Anatolia in 1100AD from Iran via central Asia

-I cannot see why Turkey cannot enter Eurovision, but to join Europe with its non Gender equality rules is an issue ................but is Azerbaijn European, what about the Armenians then? or Georgians?

Anatolians were native "Indo-European" speaker tribes most likely similar people to Armenians and some Greek groups.

The "Turkic" influence on the modern Turkish population is overestimated. Most Turks today are descendants of native Anatolians, Circassians, Armenians, Greeks and Assyrians, Kurds/Persians/Sunni Arabs in the East-South regions. It's mostly a language shifted population for the most part.

Eurovision is a joke and these contests shouldn't be taken seriously, i didn't even know what it was tbh. The construct of European Union holds economical interests. Cyprus might be not part of Europe due to Geography but it's economy and culture holds enough values to be part of the EU zone, the same could be said about Lebanon, Israel which has a significant Christian/European originated minority with Mediterranean culture and might fit better economically in the European region than many Balkan states.

parts of south America and north America are more European than eastern Europe? that's like saying some English people are more American than Texans, that makes zero sense.

but to join Europe with its non Gender equality rules is an issue ................but is Azerbaijn European, what about the Armenians then? or Georgians?

Does Joining EU mean being European?

Gender Equality is not a criteria. It should be in all world wide.

Anatolians were native "Indo-European" speaker tribes most likely similar people to Armenians and some Greek groups.

The "Turkic" influence on the modern Turkish population is overestimated. Most Turks today are descendants of native Anatolians, Circassians, Armenians, Greeks and Assyrians, Kurds/Persians/Sunni Arabs in the East-South regions. It's mostly a language shifted population for the most part.

:grin:

Eurovision is a joke and these contests shouldn't be taken seriously, i didn't even know what it was tbh. The construct of European Union holds economical interests. Cyprus might be not part of Europe due to Geography but it's economy and culture holds enough values to be part of the EU zone, the same could be said about Lebanon, Israel which has a significant Christian/European originated minority with Mediterranean culture and might fit better economically in the European region than many Balkan states.

Same as how gender equality can't be criteria, Christianity is also can't be.

Armenian are Orient Orthodox which is none related with Europe. If you allow them just for being Christian. Will you say Assyrians and Coptic are also European?

parts of south America and north America are more European than eastern Europe? that's like saying some English people are more American than Texans, that makes zero sense.

As a Balkan country, I know that it sounds like I am swearing you.

But this is what it is.

As Roman proverb "Africa begins at Naples" (Roman saying)" I don't put East European and Balkan Countries in Europe Category.

My impression is that There's no less or more European based on genetic. The major genetic ties in South Europe is shared with the Levant and the Greater Near East, while North Europeans have other genetic influences from Steppe and Eurasia which makes them district from South Europe.

You are mistaken. Europeans form a cluster of their own, with MENA populations forming another cluster.

Jewish populations plot between Europeans and MENAs, which is consistent with their admixture history:

(some Greeks plot closer to MENAs than to Europeans, but they are obviously Anatolian / Pontic Greeks):

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v513/n7518/images/nature13673-f2.jpg

nature13673-f2.jpg

David Reich mentioned these two clusters also in his lecture here:

https://videocast.nih.gov/summary.asp?Live=19940&bhcp=1

As for Armenians - they plot closer to Europe than other MENAs:

http://www.nature.com/ejhg/journal/v24/n6/full/ejhg2015206a.html

ejhg2015206f2.jpg

...[/QE]

Europeans don't form a cluster maybe a Swede overlap with a Norwegian to an extent, but that's it and those nations been mixing for centuries. South Europeans more or less will plot halfway between Middle East and North Europe and that's correlates with known migration history and geographical distances more or less.
The Southernmost Europeans are closer to Northern Middle East/Levant than to any groups north of the Alps.

Other maps show way greater distances between each European populations, but as I've been said and others on this forum autosomal maps can't be taken guaranteed.

2ufwMeL.png

image5.png

bauchet07k5.png

This thread has been viewed 13719 times.

Back