Is Bush dividing the United States ?

babar-san said:
well,if you take into consideration that arguably gore won the first bush election, and the electoral college intervened via congress, then my vote didnt really matter. :souka: so, with a party designed to overthrow popular vote, and the fact that conservative parties have the money to keep themselves in power, its no wonder that democrats have a hard time getting into the white house. until this party (electoral college) is revised in a manner of its actuall power, i will not vote.

It sounds like you've given up. And, hey, that's what I wanted to do after this last election, but then I decided I'd just have to fight even harder in the future for my rights and what I believe in. Bad things happen because good people don't act.

@mecharmor23...
Sounds like you've got some anger issues. You're free to say what you want but nothing in your post was the least bit constructive, just a rant. And what's with all this Yankee stuff? Are we talking about politics or baseball?

mecharmor23 said:
The Yankees are way too overconfident with war, so confident that they can't even stabalize Iraq and Afghanistan. Why do Yankees oppose peace?? Do the Yankees here loving killing people?? Have the Yankees totally forgotten about the My Lai massacre in vietnam??? Are Yankees very proud of what their army did in Abu Gharib, Iraq?? Do Yankees stick with the philosphy that "the strong should rule the weak"??

I am bitter because, the Yankees on the internet are way to confident of their military that they started making racial slurs against everyone not "white".

The Yankees have so much pride their military but look down on their infantry, why I don't know. Do Yankees think killing is fun?? How would you feel if you were a in the shoes of an Iraqi POW in abu gharib??

The Yankees are so proud of their army, so confident that they must ask help from the world to aid their middle eastern campaign. Makes you proud to be a Yankee eh?? Yankees think the world is wrong and the Yank is right.

The Yank, is in dire need of therapy. They constantly suffer from a severe phobia of peace and multiculturalism.

The Yank, so proud of being a Yank, that the Yank must resort to being one of the most racist beasts on the internet.

If the Yank has the right to use insulting words such as "J*p", "N*p", "chi*k", "yellow man" etc, then I as a deeply offended asian have the right to at least use the word Yank in return.

If the Yank has the right to belittle anyone not Yankee, then I too should I the right to complain about their behaviours across the world.

If the Yank believes in free speech then I should have the right to say what I posted here without being flammed or kicked out.

My advice to you would be to stay away from message boards overrun by idiots, as it seems from your post that those are the only kinds you visit, save this one. Those kinds of things aren't said very often on this forum, and when they are, they are usually taken care of by other members. This forum is mostly open-minded, and I'm a bit confused as to why you came here to say what you said. It seems that you should be speaking to your target audience, and not the people here, who happen to think nothing like the people that you're angry with.

By the way, where are you from? I know that the British use "Yankees" to refer to Americans, so I figured you might be there. I don't really think the term is all that offensive, except in some cases when some southerners refer to people from the northeast as being "Yankees" with contempt.

I've used it once or twice, but only in a jokey kind of way. I wasn't aware that it could be offensive, to be honest.

From a Brit to an American I don't think it's offensive. I think usually it's just a joke or a lighthearted term of endearment. But I think that the way that some people in the southern US use it to contemptfully refer to people from the northeast it can be considered offensive. I'm just guessing, though. I've never actually seen anyone get offended by being called a "Yankee."

Brooker said:
It sounds like you've given up. And, hey, that's what I wanted to do after this last election, but then I decided I'd just have to fight even harder in the future for my rights and what I believe in. Bad things happen because good people don't act.

i havnt really given up, because your right about bad things happening when good people dont act. im just looking for different ways to act. like writing the governor of my state, etc, to get an objective opinion from someone that holds at least some form of political power. its not that i think conservatives are bad or anything, but in my heart i feel that "bush is bad". in the end , the truth will come out, but not a second sooner. i'll just be glad when hes gone.
:relief:
i feel sad that the old saying "you just cant trust a politician" whether democrat or republican, maybe true. the nature of being a politician means that you "in todays world" have to bend the truth and fenagle your way to the top. truly sad, but ppl have been doing it for centuries. oh well, one day i'll get back on the bandwagon Brooker :)

Glenn said:
From a Brit to an American I don't think it's offensive. I think usually it's just a joke or a lighthearted term of endearment. But I think that the way that some people in the southern US use it to contemptfully refer to people from the northeast it can be considered offensive. I'm just guessing, though. I've never actually seen anyone get offended by being called a "Yankee."

I'm generally not offened by this word, but the way mecharmor23 is using it seems to me be very derogatory. The way this person expresses their rant shows it was meant to be offensive.

If the Yank has the right to use insulting words such as "J*p", "N*p", "chi*k", "yellow man" etc, then I as a deeply offended asian have the right to at least use the word Yank in return.

Who in the world said anybody has the right to use such demeaning terms. Yes, in America people have the right to free speech, but that doesn't make it ok to use such offensive slurs towards a group of people. If someone calls me a "honkey," that doesn't give me the right to retaliate back at them with a racial slur. I don't lower myself to that level, and hey racism exists everywhere in this world. However, you do not have to tolerate this type of abuse, and I most certainly do not.

Anyways, to get back to the subject of the states states being divided, I believe that is absolutely true, and it may not change anytime soon. Now, I am going to sound critical here, but don't get it twisted I love my American people. However, I believe there are far too many closed minded Americans, who focus only on what is going on in the US, and are oblivious to what's going on in the rest of the world. These people have little knowledge about other cultures or values, and they are not very likely to be open to a different point of view (They are more or less stuborn). Many of these people think that since currently have have the biggest economy, military, and higher Power Purchasing Parity(Standard of living) we will continue to be on top of everything forever. They are going to be in for some very big suprises down the line, because the dollar is still gradually devaluating, and eventually we are not going to be the biggest economic power anymore, because China is going to take that over. This doesn't mean that we will become a poor nation, it is just going through a cycle. China will eventually come to the same status that we are at now, and thus the cycle will keep on rotating.

My point is as Americans, we are probably the least likely to know what's going on in the world compared to Europeans, Asians, Middle Eastern, etc. We need to change that around and make ourselves more knowledgeable with an "International Perspective" and not just a domestic one. That is one of the main causes of 9-11, we weren't really inept to what was happening outside the US, and caught off gaurd as we were, this tradegy was bestowed upon us. I just feel if you have a better understanding on what is happening in the world, then you will probably be able to have a better understanding of other cultures as well. A better understanding for people will decrease racism and fear of other cultures. Will this ever happen, I couldn't tell you, but if people had a broader perspective, they wouldn't be as closed minded I think.....

mecharmor23 said:
I am bitter because, the Yankees on the internet are way to confident of their military that they started making racial slurs against everyone not "white".

The Yankees are so proud of their army, so confident that they must ask help from the world to aid their middle eastern campaign. Makes you proud to be a Yankee eh?? Yankees think the world is wrong and the Yank is right.

The Yank, is in dire need of therapy. They constantly suffer from a severe phobia of peace and multiculturalism.

The Yank, so proud of being a Yank, that the Yank must resort to being one of the most racist beasts on the internet.

If the Yank believes in free speech then I should have the right to say what I posted here without being flammed or kicked out.

-sigh- The idea that you expect internet discourse to accurately reflect all intelligent discourse to be had in the US is, well, funny. The majority of "conversations" had online are poor indicators of how tolerant much of the country is. When half of a country explicitly, and many more in subtle ways, disagree with the violent, imperialistic actions of the US government, it's not fair to pigeonhole "yanks." Stereotypes are said to be derived from some exaggerated form of truth. Well, when half of a group has expressed direct opposition to an ideal, is it fair to claim they are all proponents of said ideal? I think not.

And as far as nip, chink, jap, gook, whatever, I'm not offended by them at all. Being of Chinese/Japanese descent, I see them as indicators of ignorance and/or humor.

This thread has been viewed 2673 times.

Back