Politics Is George W. Bush the Worst President Ever?

It all depends upon one's political bent. To liberals, he's the worst. To conservatives, he could be better. He probably is somewhere in the middle. But it also depends upon how everything turns out.

ArmandV said:
It all depends upon one's political bent. To liberals, he's the worst. To conservatives, he could be better. He probably is somewhere in the middle. But it also depends upon how everything turns out.
I would agree. I rank him quite low-- But the "worst?"

I wouldn't rate him the worst. I mean try being in his seat.

People usually seem to recognize a presidents accompishments or lack thereof after their term is over and so forth. Maybe something that he has done in the past, present or later in his term will prevent something bad later. Never know.

I don't really see the point in the News giving us his rating. What use is that to us? I don't know.

There will be a fault with every President that we have.

You can't satisfy everyone all the time.

Mitsuo Oda said:
I wouldn't rate him the worst. I mean try being in his seat.
People usually seem to recognize a presidents accompishments or lack thereof after their term is over and so forth. Maybe something that he has done in the past, present or later in his term will prevent something bad later. Never know.
I don't really see the point in the News giving us his rating. What use is that to us? I don't know.
There will be a fault with every President that we have.
You can't satisfy everyone all the time.

good post.

I knew there was someone else out there who supported him.

It is a difficult job, but the best have served during the most difficult times: Washington, Lincoln, FDR... but Dubya? He is definitely in the bottom third. Check out James Taranto's "Presidential Leadership: Rating the Best and the Worst in the White House." The 2006 book should be comming out.

Harding and Buchannan have a lock on the bottom rung. They don't rate Harrison or Garfield because they died so soon. Some presidents were not only incompetent but were clearly and openly corrupt. Dubya can't beat them for the bottom.

I can recall back when I first heard Bush's debates on CCN back during and after the primaries in that first campaign, and for some reason, just struck a sour note in my being--a feeling that one can't pin down.

When I first heard his speeches after being elected, and saw how he handled the 'Spy plane down in China' matter at first, I got the same feeling. . .

I personally do not care for the attitude which is reflected in the nature of not being willing to humbly apologize. As for if he's the worst president? I wouldn't think so, when looking at the office along with the person. I agree that Mitsuo Oda san has said it well balanced, in a good way. (that's not to insinuate that others have not, but just that I favor that presentation.) :)

While I am not a Bush supporter at all (father or son) there have been many worse presidents. The current president is by far the worst and let's not forget Jimmy Carter, Millard Fillmore, James Buchannan, Zachary Taylor and Franklin Pierce. George W. and His father on certainly on the lower rung of American presidents but certainly not the worst.

In the 19th century a British observer noted that Americans have a penchant for selecting 3rd rate men to be their presidents. While their are exceptions to the rule, the exceptions only prove the rule. George W. certainly fits the rule.

This thread has been viewed 719 times.

Back