Is Paris a pre Celtic name?

I add for the topic in general that I don't see why we try to link the name Parisi to a pre-celtic tribe: P- was lost in typical celtic languages but Kw-evolved in P- in its place, no?
or somebody of us has the verified etymology of this name?

I already answered exactly that in one of my previous posts:

Regarding *p being lost in Celtic, we are only taking about the *p inherited from Proto-Indo-European. P-Celtic languages, like Gaulish, however, developed a secondary /p/ sound that corresponds with Proto-Indo-European *kw. If we consider the latter, then the /p/ in "Paris" can easily be Celtic. The best etymology, in my opinion, is from the Celtic word for "cauldron":

Old Irish "coire" (cauldron), Scottish Gaelic "coire" (kettle), Welsh "pair".

Furthermore, it should be noted that there also was a "Parisii" tribe living in northern England, which may be related with the Gaulish Parisii.

I do, however, agree with your assessment regarding western Iberia, since the Celtiberian language is known to have lost the PIE *p (it is, after all, Celtic) while at the same time also retaining (just like ancient Irish), PIE *kw.

You also mentioned the Lusitanian language, which fits the description of having retained the *p sound of Proto-Indo-European.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by MOESAN
I add for the topic in general that I don't see why we try to link the name Parisi to a pre-celtic tribe: P- was lost in typical celtic languages but Kw-evolved in P- in its place, no?
or somebody of us has the verified etymology of this name?

I already answered exactly that in one of my previous posts:

Sorry, I had red it and forgotten (my "grand age"!)

spongetaro was talking about the city of Paris, which is clearly named after the Parisii tribe. :)

and I said it might not be a Tribe the Parisii but a social class,
compare Greek Paroikoi, Paries,

or an outer or inner name of those who live in mud (Vari)

and I said it might not be a Tribe the Parisii but a social class,
compare Greek Paroikoi, Paries,

or an outer or inner name of those who live in mud (Vari)

It is hard to me to see an evident link for /pari/ and /vari/ - only bets at this stage of discussion - and about "social class" I do not see why it could apply only for the Parisi? - what is the meaning of the gressian words 'paroikoi', 'paries' ?
I prefer consider this name as an ordinary tribe name, cognate with the Yorkshire Parisi's one...

This thread has been viewed 18165 times.

Back