M223 - Upgraded to 32 Markers. Help identifying which one I belong to?

As far as I'm aware, nobody has untangled the history of the Roots cluster yet. Maybe you could analyze your own line by looking at the distribution of your closest matches?

Sounds like a very good idea to me, my good sir.

I'll do some research and post some findings.

At 67 markers, I only have 2 -5 matches (the closest match). 1 from Ireland, one from the US.

At 37 markers, I have 4 -3 matches. 2 from England, 1 from Ireland, and 1 from the US.

As I know from my paternal ancestry that I am Cornish.

The problem, of course, is both England (and to a lesser extent, Ireland) is both Celtic and Germanic. Though isn't it generally the case that I is more strongly associated with certain Germanic tribes than Celtic?

At 67 markers, I only have 2 -5 matches (the closest match). 1 from Ireland, one from the US.

At 37 markers, I have 4 -3 matches. 2 from England, 1 from Ireland, and 1 from the US.

As I know from my paternal ancestry that I am Cornish.

The problem, of course, is both England (and to a lesser extent, Ireland) is both Celtic and Germanic. Though isn't it generally the case that I is more strongly associated with certain Germanic tribes than Celtic?

Yeah, I don't think you've clearly resolved yet whether your line is Anglo-Saxon, Celtic Cornish, or what. Irish matches may lean to Celtic, but then looking on the M223 Project, you're certainly in a cluster with a lot of Germans. It's tough to get any temporal resolution here without making some calculations.

I think Germanic peoples are more likely to have carried haplogroup I as a whole than Celtic peoples, but I don't think it's clear that they're more likely to have carried I2-M223-Roots in particular. Insular Celts definitely seem more likely than any Germanic peoples to have carried I2-M223-Isles, to take another example.

This thread has been viewed 13609 times.

Back