Medieval English mutilated the dead to prevent Zombies?

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
Well, they obviously did mutilate them, but there could be other explanations, although I can't think of any right now.

See:
http://www.haaretz.com/archaeology/1.790889

"Wharram Percy was a small farming town, consisting in the medieval period of just two facing rows of dwellings. The archaeologists found 137 bones, "representing the substantially incomplete remains of a minimum of ten individuals," they note drily. The bodies were of both sexes and ranged in age from two years to over 50.After death, the bodies were decapitated, dismembered and burned. "

"Belief in, and fear of, the walking dead, was very real in the Middle Ages. Images abound from the Middle Ages of living people being pursued by skeletons. It is true that there is no consensus about what those images represented, but that said, stories of the undead abounded.
Orderic Vitalis, a 12th century Benedictine monk, wrote in Book 8 of his “Ecclesiastical History” about a priest named Walchelin, who, in 1091 C.E., was returning from visiting a sick parishioner when he was confronted with what seemed to be an army of the dead. “Now I do indeed see the shades of the dead with my own eyes,” Walchelin thought, according to Orderic."

"Soon after, in the late 12th century C.E. a Yorkshire monk and historian named William of Newburgh wrote about a walking corpse in Berwick. The corpse only rested when locals dug the body up and dismembered it. For all that, according to his own biographers, he took great pride in relying on accurate sources, William was renowned for his descriptions of "revenants", namely the living dead of various sorts, including vampires."

I suppose it could have been cannibalism because of starvation in the era of the Black Death, but why burn them afterwards?

I would throw in rabies, probably few members of a family. The rest just to make sure....
Would scare the hell out of us even now.

The only real, and really scary thing in it is social phobias, mass beliefs and their consequences. They truly believed they were right and were doing a good thing.
The good old days...

If time travel becomes a reality, I'll use this to help remind me not to go back to the medieval age. I can imagine what it was like...people burned for being "evil wizards", racism 10x worse than it is today, no bathrooms, no showers, and homosexuals, the mentally ill, and the intellectually handicapped tortured due to being "possessed by the devil".

The only real, and really scary thing in it is social phobias, mass beliefs and their consequences. They truly believed they were right and were doing a good thing.
The good old days...

Oh my gosh man that is so cheesy. And I should add it is also arrogant. I get annoyed by modern people who look down on mistakes made by people in the past as if we would do any better or as if we don't make similar mistakes.

If zombies existed then what these ancient people did is super smart. A piece of plastic which allows you to communicate to people 1,000s of miles away would sound crazy to ancient people. Anything is possible. If someone claimed such devises exist 1,000 years ago he'd be called crazy and no one would even examine the evidence to test the validity of his claim.

Just as the idea of phones is crazy to ancient cultures but not to ours, the idea of zombies sounds crazy to our culture but didn't sound crazy to some ancient cultures. Few today would waste their time to examine the evidence and come to a conclusion on zombie existence just as as few in ancient times would examine the evidence and come to a conclusion on zombie existence.

There are countless mass beliefs today. No one has the time to be an "open minded" butterfly and test the validity of every assumption in the world. So don't condemn someone for just believing "mass belief."

Another thing Lebrok, "social phobias" aren't among the world's greatest problems.

Oh my gosh man that is so cheesy. And I should add it is also arrogant. I get annoyed by modern people who look down on mistakes made by people in the past as if we would do any better or as if we don't make similar mistakes.

If zombies existed then what these ancient people did is super smart. A piece of plastic which allows you to communicate to people 1,000s of miles away would sound crazy to ancient people. Anything is possible. If someone claimed such devises exist 1,000 years ago he'd be called crazy and no one would even examine the evidence to test the validity of his claim.

Just as the idea of phones is crazy to ancient cultures but not to ours, the idea of zombies sounds crazy to our culture but didn't sound crazy to some ancient cultures. Few today would waste their time to examine the evidence and come to a conclusion on zombie existence just as as few in ancient times would examine the evidence and come to a conclusion on zombie existence.
Are you listening to yourself?! Let's glorify the past when people were ignorant, intolerant and people where killed for a tiny bit of difference and individuality? Perhaps we should also glorify fascism and communism of 20th century, because they didn't know any better?

There are countless mass beliefs today. No one has the time to be an "open minded" butterfly and test the validity of every assumption in the world. So don't condemn someone for just believing "mass belief."
That's the role of every scientist and philosopher to push forward our understanding and progress. To know what is better and what works for us, and what doesn't.
Time to notice and appreciate the achievements. Especially, when we know how cruel and unforgiving the past was. If you understand this, you should be able to go beyond your conservative shell and open your mind.

Another thing Lebrok, "social phobias" aren't among the world's greatest problems.
What is?

This thread has been viewed 3461 times.

Back