Modelling Admixture with PCA

Fire-Haired:You're being too scientific. The sources of differnt types of ancestry in modern Italians doesn't have to trace back to historically known migrations to Italy. I'm not referring to Gauls or Greeks of history, I'm referring to unknown Pre-Historic people who arrived before there was any writing in Italy, and are hard to track in archaeology. If people like modern Greeks are the source of a Near Eastern shift in Italy, then most Italians would have to be like 80% Greek. If people in former Gaulish territory are the source of the Steppe ancestry, Central/North Italians would have to be 40-50% Gaulish. The Steppe ancestry especially isn't just a minor topping, it's very significant.

We should strive to be less scientific? Really?

If you want to engage in these kinds of discussions with people, you have to stop claiming people are saying things they didn't say, stop drawing illogical conclusions from facts that are not even in evidence, and stop jumbling a bunch of half-truths together and claiming it is the answer.

Where did I ever say that steppe ancestry isn't significant in southern Europeans?

How on earth can you know that a mystery, unknown population is the source of any particular component in Italians (or anyone else for that matter) when you haven't yet tested any of the known groups like the Etruscans, or the immigrants who might have arrived from Crete in the Bronze Age, or the Greeks of the first millennium, who might, for all you know, have been very Cypriot like before the arrival of the Goths or the Slavic migrations in the Balkans. Or, going back before 3000 BC, when you haven't yet tested anyone who might have been part of a second wave of the Neolithic for that matter, or when we don't know whether copper workers who fled the collapse of the Balkan complex migrated to Italy. For someone who knows anything about the pre-history of Europe those are KNOWN populations, not mystery populations, whatever that even means.

Also, for your information, Northern Italians and Tuscans can indeed be modeled as 40=50% and more Gaulish. So you're wrong about that as well.

Those are the finer details. With the methods I'm using, all you can do is know the large genetic groupings new people who arrived after 3000 BC were apart of. It's impossible to figure out ethnic or regional origins.

Do you even bother to really read people's posts? To repeat what I said above, how can you know the timing of the incursion of these components in Italians, as just one example, based on Oetzi, for goodness sakes? You don't have a clue as to the genetic signature of any ancient Italians other than Oetzi and a few Remedello genomes from far northern Italy. Depending on which group was present at which time in which place with a particular genetic signature, all the succeeding percentages change in terms of timing. Even for Northern Italians, while one could perhaps speculate that the group that admixed with the steppe groups was Remedello like, how do we know that the populations closer to Rome and southern Tuscany were the same, much less the far south? They might have been, perhaps it's even probable that they were the same, but that isn't the point. The point is that you can't know, and yet you pretend that you do. How do you know there wasn't a change around the time of the Copper Age, instead of after the Bronze Age as you claim? If you were more informed, and a bit older maybe you'd understand that this isn't how scientists work and think, or historians, or any well educated and well-informed people for that matter. I'm telling you this for your own good; this is not going to fly when you're in real life, professional situations.

Who's that?

http://rbedrosian.com/Ref/Drews/Drews_1988_Coming_of_Greeks.pdf

Do we know anything about the history of people in Spain before 0 AD Some, but probably not a lot. Why is it easier to believe Spanish are 25-30% from Yamnaya-like, than they are 10-25% Cypriot-like? Both could have arrived in large numbers but were left unrecorded in history.

Is that a serious question? We've known for more than a hundred years through archaeology and linguistic studies of the movement of this group of people across Europe.

I am too confident sometimes

Indeed. Maybe if you go back over the last year or two and see how confident and dogmatic you were about numerous issues, only to be proven wrong, it would give you pause.

@Angela,

Like I said in my last post, I only modeled Bergamo and Tuscany as Otzi+Other. I didn't make the assumption everyone in Italy in 3000 BC was like Otzi. Because we don't have any non far Northern 2000-3000 BC genomes from Italy, doesn't mean I can't start making theories about Italian origins.

A Near Eastern-like people could have lived in other parts of Italy and could have been the Etruscans or Cretans or Greeks or someother historical people. All I'm doing, is finding what's differnt between modern North Italians and Otzi. I'm not concerned with arguing about the exact geographic location and time period of the signals come from. The Cypriot one could be from Southern Italy or Greece or Crete, I don't care. All I care about is that it is there. I take little looks at geography and make simple conclusions, so that's why I claim sometime after 2000 BC people from the Near East migrated into Italy. I might be wrong, but that isn't the focus of my statements. The focus is that there is a Near Eastern signal, where/when it came from is secondary.

So, don't get hooked on my theories on where the differnt types of ancestry in Europeans came from. That information will be made clear after lots of ancient DNA testing. Just like, 2 years ago, we knew the MA1-like ancestry arrived from the Steppe sometime after 3000 BC, but didn't know about the details.

"Also, for your information, Northern Italians and Tuscans can indeed be modeled as 40=50% and more Gaulish. So you're wrong about that as well."

I know they can(if we assume Gauls were like French). Although, IMO it's unlikely though that an immigrant population could contribute so much blood. We'll have to wait for aDNA.

@Angela,

Like I said in my last post, I only modeled Bergamo and Tuscany as Otzi+Other. I didn't make the assumption everyone in Italy in 3000 BC was like Otzi. Because we don't have any non far Northern 2000-3000 BC genomes from Italy, doesn't mean I can't start making theories about Italian origins.

what about the 3 x remendello haplogroup I from the period you noted above.

They are in Eastern Lombardy Northern italy

@Alan,
I have to say that when I was following his work more closely, I was impressed that Kurd is at least totally transparent, and acknowledges the issues with all of the methods.

I know and that is the major difference. He is fully aware of the mistakes that can happen and also always tells people to be cautios. And if some of his work has errors in it he mentiones them and tells the people to not concentrate so much at it since the purpose is something different.

The North Africans are basically still considered an EEF/WHG population with a big dose of SSA aren't they?
The "WHG" in North Africans is solely attributed to their EEF ancestry the reason why the WHG was so high in "older" calculators was that back than we didn't had Anatolian_Farmer samples and some bloggers created their own "ENF" component.

Northwest Africans are basically EEF with 1/5 SSA.

Alan,

Neolithic Western Anatolian Farmers were not "pure Middle Easterners". They already did have a dozen or so percent Western European WHG admixture. Apparently WHG from Europe migrated into Western Anatolia where they admixed with EEF, forming Western Anatolian Farmers. Typically WHG Y-DNA haplogroups - such as I2c and C1a2 - were also present among Western Anatolian Farmers.

some bloggers created their own "ENF" component.

Anatolian_Farmer is not a "pure component". It was a racially mixed group with partially WHG ancestry.

WHG ancestry came from Western Europe to Anatolia. We are yet to find "pure Middle Eastern Farmer".

the reason why the WHG was so high in "older" calculators

WHG is not "too high" anywhere. WHG ancestry was present in Anatolia because WHGs migrated there.

Not sure why do you think that it was "fake" WHG considering that I2 and C1 haplogroups were there too.

This thread has been viewed 22364 times.

Back