Ortho Alpha
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Greek
What does he look like more to you,
Slavic or more native Pelasgian?

80a2a097e40f5fccf28a63b57a95198f.jpg

I already posted him in another thread but with different scope and question

He doesn't look Slavic at all to me. He looks completely Southern European, probably Greek.

First of all, Pelasgian doesn't mean anything precise for me.
Secondly, I agree with Angela (it isn't always the case but...). Even if Slavic is a vague term, I don't find any kind of subtype or mix typical for Slavs in him. For the most "southern" with what I 'll call 'atlantic-med' for commodity. Greek? Very possible.

The jersey might be a dead giveaway, cybernetic. Of course it could be Hellas Verona but I don't know if they have a basketball team.

We can always count on Big Snake for the snide remarks.

I think it was clear that the OP wasn't really expecting us to GUESS the ethnicity, given that indeed the man is wearing a Greek sports top, or perhaps Big Snake thinks we don't understand the reference to Hellas.

What the OP was really asking, since some people love to see Slavic in Greek people, was whether there was any Slavic visible in this person. There isn't.

Neither would I ever mistake him for an Italian, even if I've seen the term "Pelasgian" used both for ancient Italians and ancient Greeks..

We can always count on Big Snake for the snide remarks.

I think it was clear that the OP wasn't really expecting us to GUESS the ethnicity, given that indeed the man is wearing a Greek sports top, or perhaps Big Snake thinks we don't understand the reference to Hellas.

What the OP was really asking, since some people love to see Slavic in Greek people, was whether there was any Slavic visible in this person. There isn't.

Neither would I ever mistake him for an Italian, even if I've seen the term "Pelasgian" used both for ancient Italians and ancient Greeks..

Big Snake just displayed some Greek humor.

Interesting that you didn´t find him Italian looking neither.

Tauromenion(Sikeliot) once labeled him as Balkan Slavic looking in the past on TA.
Perhabs this would be then what means d Balkan Slavic to him(and others?...), a Southern European person who neither looks
Slavic nor Italian....

The first rule in these guessing games is to just assume that Sikeliot is wrong. For one thing he has no visual patterning abilities whatsoever, and in that he's not alone, but most important everything he posts on such matters is to support some biased hypothesis he's peddling.

As to the man in the original post, no, I don't think he looks Italian at all. There are Greeks and Italians who look very much alike; he just isn't one of them. I also would never guess him as a "Balkan Slav" if by that you mean someone like a Serb. He's too "Southern" looking, and his features aren't coarse enough.

Once you get north of Rome, in particular, there's as much if not more physical overlap, imo, with Spaniards and Portuguese, or even with the Swiss or people from the Tyrol than with Greeks or Balkanites. South of Rome it's different.

The first rule in these guessing games is to just assume that Sikeliot is wrong. For one thing he has no visual patterning abilities whatsoever, and in that he's not alone, but most important everything he posts on such matters is to support some biased hypothesis he's peddling.

As to the man in the original post, no, I don't think he looks Italian at all. There are Greeks and Italians who look very much alike; he just isn't one of them. I also would never guess him as a "Balkan Slav" if by that you mean someone like a Serb. He's too "Southern" looking, and his features aren't coarse enough.

Agreed that he doesn´t look Italian its like you say there is Greeks who look very much like Italians/Sicilians and
others who do not.
And it is with some Greeks that they simply have sort of a distinct Greek phenotype which neither truly looks Italian nor
like their Balkan neighbours(Albanians,Slavs)

I have tried to explain these things very often back then in TA but alot of people there like our particular friend wouldn't understand it.

Pelasgian as in Carian?

How do we know what Carians looked like? Not being contrarian, just genuinely curious.

Pelasgian as in Carian?

How do we know what Carians looked like? Not being contrarian, just genuinely curious.

Maybe like Dodecanesians since they were pretty close to each other? I am sure there were some admixture.

Agreed that he doesn´t look Italian its like you say there is Greeks who look very much like Italians/Sicilians and
others who do not.
And it is with some Greeks that they simply have sort of a distinct Greek phenotype which neither truly looks Italian nor
like their Balkan neighbours(Albanians,Slavs)

I have tried to explain these things very often back then in TA but alot of people there like our particular friend wouldn't understand it.

He has always been a completely dishonest broker; nothing he says is to be accepted at face value.

When you're really familiar with certain phenotypes you know the differences which can exist even in one country. That's especially true for a country like Italy where there is so much variation, and I'm sure to your eyes the same might be true in Greece. There are northern Italians who might be taken for people from the Austrian Tyrol or from eastern France or Spain, and Southern Italians who might be taken for Greeks, mainland and especially, perhaps, Island Greeks, and there are Italians who couldn't be anything but Italian.

My father and his siblings, to their constant irritation, were never assumed to be Italian by the Americans here, and even I, who look a bit like my mother, puzzled and puzzle people. I usually get French. :)

Way back when I was on the 23andme forum and hadn't yet put him on permanent ignore, and having these discussions with him, he wouldn't accept it. Instead, he would post tanned Italians at the end of summer and claim they looked Palestinian. :) I'm sure he's still doing the same thing, but he also suddenly started talking about blonde Northern Italians as if he'd known it all along. :)

Most of the things he spouts which are actually true he just lifted from my comments to him.

Don't take him seriously; in fact, better not to engage people like that at all. You know what they say: never feed the t-rolls. :)

First of all, Pelasgian doesn't mean anything precise for me.
Secondly, I agree with Angela (it isn't always the case but...). Even if Slavic is a vague term, I don't find any kind of subtype or mix typical for Slavs in him. For the most "southern" with what I 'll call 'atlantic-med' for commodity. Greek? Very possible.

100% agree,

'we found' new terms in phenotype,

I wonder why?

Pelasgian as in Carian?

Whatever it may possibly mean Carian,Lelegean,Minian(not Minoan),Neolithic Thessalian,Native Arcadian or
just general pre Hellenic native

How do we know what Carians looked like?

What do you think they looked like.

Not being contrarian, just genuinely curious.

Τιποτα φιλε μου, ολα καλα

Looks greek to me

This thread has been viewed 3522 times.

Back