Most WHG guy ever?

Sardinia is very heterogeneous. The most important dividing line, however, is the Sardinians of the Gennargentu massif, which is in western Ogliastra province and part of Nuoro province.

Chiang et al heavily sampled all regions and noted the differences. The villages on the massif range from 4%WHG to 18%. Steppe ranges from 0 to about 4%.

The particularly isolated and "unique" signature can be found in Arzana, Ilbono, Villagrande, then Gairo, Barisardo, Loceri, Lanusei.

Arzana is 9% Loschbour and 4% Yamnaya.

Ilbono is 4% Loschbour and 9% Yamnaya.

Villagrande is 14% Loschbour and 2% Yamnaya.

Gairo is 18% Loschbour and 0% Yamnaya.

Of course, these are averages. There is variation within the villages.

I'm sorry I can't upload the chart. I think they've blocked it. Anyway, it's in the supplement.

People of Gairo:

Most of them don't look very Italian to me, if anyone cares about my subjective opinion. If admixture correlates with "phenotype", too much WHG, too little steppe, and too little "Minoan".

Thanks for the info. It seems that some Sardinians have retained a considerable amount of WHG. Btw, would you say that Sardinians look on the whole rather homogenous or heterogonous, thus appearance-wise differ from region to region? There are not a few Sardinians who have a particular look. What I've noticed (at least when going by pictures that show them in traditional clothing) is that a fair amount of Sardinian women are easy on the eyes. Anyway, how can you, for example, tell a Sardinian from a typical Mainland Italian apart? Some Italians assert that there is a typical Neapolitan, Sicilian or Venetian look, etc. What do you think?

according to this research using qpAdm model

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7080320/

supplementary table 14: page 29

9.7%( i dont know from where the sardinians samples they used came in the island there might be
variation in the anatolian neolithic and whg ancesteries in different parts of the islands
ogliastra for example: is the most isolated region so it migh have different values% of those components
)

p.s
neolithic and chalcolithic sardinians ( beside the I15940 outlier ) had more whg ancestery 14.6%
But it was diluted with iranian neolithic ancestery 13.9% in modern sardinians and even yamnaya ancestery 10.6%
in modern sardinians

Thanks kingjohn.

Thanks for the info. It seems that some Sardinians have retained a considerable amount of WHG. Btw, would you say that Sardinians look on the whole rather homogenous or heterogonous, thus appearance-wise differ from region to region? There are not a few Sardinians who have a particular look. What I've noticed (at least when going by pictures that show them in traditional clothing) is that a fair amount of Sardinian women are easy on the eyes. Anyway, how can you, for example, tell a Sardinian from a typical Mainland Italian apart? Some Italians assert that there is a typical Neapolitan, Sicilian or Venetian look, etc. What do you think?

Sardinian women are renowned in Italy for their beauty, but with all due respect to them, I didn't see many of them in some of the villages, like Gairo, and Arzana.

It's the villages further down the slope and off the Massif altogether which to my eyes contain more lovely women.

Villagrande: I don't see any difference between her and a woman from the mainland.
3227015f2bc8130e4530493fa2a52d37--sardinia-italy-folk-costume.jpg

Also from Villagrande, and I'd say the same about her.
8995cca4d78bc795218b3f24e8f2cf8d.png

Villagrande again. She's a bit different looking:
a6ab1900d67defe8a2a63d5c8af5fe51.jpg

Lanusei: Not my favorite look. A lot of the men have these snub noses too. I don't know if it's from WHG, but that's what I always thought.
16d72d77a6eed3a5edf9efa9db853396.jpg

The Sardinian showgirls and actresses who have made it "big" in Italy:
Elisabeta Canalis-model and old flame of George Clooney. She just looks Italian to me.
pa-7938475.jpg

I'm particularly partial to the Sardinian actress who was in a James Bond movie, as is Dienekes. He once posted a picture of her. She has a very "Greek" look to me, but certainly looks Italian as well, just not Northern or Central.

Caterina Murino: Minimalist make up and ravishing; I adore her smile,
Caterina-Murino-1163863.jpg

I also adore her facial bone structure, her mouth, eyes, nose, you name it.
caterina-murino-1-b21c8465-dba4-4bce-940f-e0cc36afcb41.jpg

In the Bond movie:
e7fa380d68aa106ad0eab1d2967a5da9.jpg

I also think Luisa Ranieri (Neapolitan) is stunning.
d863ac36878ccfea7d54e5fcfd7cb559.jpg

f87338aab1311a60d3a28ced748b6f88.jpg

Sophia Loren is also Neapolitan, but a different type:
54bc1ecec0311_-_hbz-sophia-loren-20-1964-rexusa-210677bq-xl.jpg

Alessandra Mastronardi:
actress-alessandra-mastronardi-attends-the-cinema-society-with-the-picture-id146621160

Male actor from Napoli:
Gianpaolo Morelli
giampaolo-morelli-lapresse-1.jpg

Cannavaro is also Neapolitan
lvP23Urt_GnRC0YkG88STYlA7TS1NEA7kEg_2QchksmX74lTDgyvTfQEi_Xp0gzVu_NNEMaywiu-ZgTCz8RObkku=w1200-h630-p-k-no-nu

And Massimo Ranieri
italian-singer-and-theatre-actor-massimo-ranieri-performing-at-1972-picture-id471326314

Gigi d'Alessio
p9m3ASSCxHN-22UWPcSjM4x3tMe-5UuczUCI-VBN8HQhjkTgabUnT4Um2jMe4hgIX7HPEbRurYP-7v50T7g0YpV2cnWwmcIWtfc

His wife, Anna Tatangelo:
510full-anna-tatangelo.jpg

Napoli has more than its fair share of really beautiful people.

Famous Italian chef Antonino Cannavacciulo:
Antonino-Cannavacciuolo-600x450.jpg

Bernini-famous sculptor and architect
bernini-boy.jpg

Actor-Federico Castelluccio
hpW13J9Ahr6veNV32U4OowEqSUykMCVxPwAlsUm9JH_RqG59Ps3sW4RYY27p6BfHFFM7XqHqXPm3eU80_XcUUOuok93OtJwc9fePlSnFKaE.jpg

Caruso-Campania, if not Napoli itself.
Enrico_Caruso_tenor.jpg

The gorgeous Allesandro Preziosi
95677a884aa3d7f55effb285e989def8.jpg

Antonio DiNatale:
740full-antonio-di-natale.jpg

The great maestro conductor (he may be part Apulian)
32158464541.jpg

So, you tell me. Which one is "THE" typical Neapolitan, because I honestly couldn't tell you, although I might guess some of them are Neapolitan, especially
the ones who are more fair and have those "boneless" noses. It does show up in Napoli, but so does Caruso's type and Tatangelo.

Nabule a dialect hymn to the city. I think the three of them look completely different.

Some other Sardinians that I think have slight WHG influence

i(dot)imgur(dot)com/wYCbCqE(dot)jpg

i(dot)imgur(dot)com/hKM21vN(dot)jpg

i(dot)imgur(dot)com/2hUuQky(dot)jpg

Some other Sardinians that I think have slight WHG influence

i(dot)imgur(dot)com/wYCbCqE(dot)jpg

i(dot)imgur(dot)com/hKM21vN(dot)jpg

i(dot)imgur(dot)com/2hUuQky(dot)jpg
Can't see the pictures.

This thread has been viewed 9020 times.

Back