New data from Greek & Anatolian Neolithic.

The first analysis of a Kumtepe sample was done in Omrak et al

We discussed it here:
http://www.eupedia.com/forum/thread...e-of-the-European-Neolithic?highlight=Kumtepe

This is the link to the full Omrak et al paper...
http://www.cell.com/cms/attachment/2042476822/2055464038/mmc2.pdf

This is the link to the supplement.
http://www.cell.com/cms/attachment/2042476822/2055464037/mmc1.pdf..

I haven't yet read the complete paper or supplement, although I've seen a graphic or two, because I lost track of that thread. In the beginning, all we had was the abstract because it seemed the paper was behind a pay wall. I know that my initial reaction was that the results showed that the sample probably contained CHG admixture. It now appears that was correct. I also wondered whether the paper specifically didn't say that because that CHG sample hadn't yet come out. Once I get the time to read the data and supplement I'll see whether that was the case.

In the meantime, some quotes from that paper that were posted in our thread:

"The Anatolian Kum6 individual falls close to the early and middle Neolithic European farmers, showing a tendency toward modern-day Near Eastern populations. Interestingly, Kum6 does not group with any modern-day Anatolian populations. These results were confirmed by outgroup f3 statistics where, among modern-day groups, Kum6 shows the greatest genetic similarity to Sardinians, Greeks, and Cypriots, whereas modern-day Anatolian populations display lower levels of genetic affinity to Kum6 (Figure 2)."

I have to check if they included any southern Italian populations. I would think they might show the same kind of genetic similarity as do the Greeks.

"We computed D statistics [20] to further investigate additional genetic relationships between ancient Europeans with
sufficient sequencing coverage (>13) and Kum6. All proposed tree topologies where the Tyrolean Iceman [20] was included as one of the in-groups were rejected (2 < jZj < 4.6), suggesting gene flow or a more recent shared ancestry between Kum6 and the Tyrolean Iceman (Figure 4A). A similar tendency was observed with a Middle Neolithic Hungarian farmer [23], (co1), contemporary with the Tyrolean Iceman, resolution due to the low coverage of Kum6 and Co1. The observed genetic affinity between the Tyrolean Iceman and Kum6 could be interpreted as additional contacts between western Anatolia and Neolithic Europe at a later stage. This scenario is congruent with mitochondrial [29] and archaeozoological [30] studies, as well as the archaeological indications of multiple waves of contact between the Balkans and Anatolia. "

The paper under discussion shows the same thing.

Finally...
"the third component (green) is mostly found in the modern-day Near East and Caucasus, and the highest proportion of this third component among Neolithic individuals was observed in Kum6 (45% for K = 9). The notion that this component is West Asian is also supported by its presence in a Bronze Age Armenian sample (51%), which contains less than 2% of the orange component. Interestingly, this ‘‘West Asian’’ component (green) is not related to the potential genetic material brought to Europe by migration during the Bronze Age and recently connected to the Yamnaya culture [19, 24], visualized in Figure 3 as light blue, and it is observed in high frequency in modern-day people from southern Asia. The elevated ‘‘West Asian’’ affinity of Kum6 is likely to be the cause of the genetic differentiation observed between Kum6 and all other ancient farmers shown in the PCA plot (Figure 1B.). "

I don't know that I'd call it "West Asian" in Dodecad terms, but I'd certainly call it a Caucasus component.

@Angela

David Anthony of course maintains that it left the steppe early, moved down through the Balkans and then entered Anatolia from the west. That's certainly possible, although he proffers no archaeological evidence to support that

When I read about the Anatolian IE the consensus idea seemed to be they didn't conquer but arrived for some reason and then gradually took over from the inside.

To me that sounds more like invited artisans / traders / mercenaries than a tribal migration in which case they could have arrived by sea without a trail.

However that doesn't help with

one would think it carried some EHG with it

unless they were quite a small minority and we haven't found any Hittite bigwigs yet.

Just to clarify, Omrak et al analyzed both Kumtepe 6, which they said was found in a Neolithic context and is dated to 5000-4500 BC., (4700 BC) and Kumtepe 4, dated 3500-2800 BC. However, the low coverage they got for Kumtepe 4 means that they used it only to confirm the patterns in Kumtepe 6. So, the quotes above from Omrak et al really are related to the older Kumtepe sample. Even at that early period, Omrak et al found that Kumtepe 6 included 45% of a "green" component which was found at 51% in the Armenian Bronze Age. The "European Neolithic" component was orange.

Kumtepe 4 is from the Early Bronze of Anatolia and is dated from 3500 to 2800 BC.

In the Hofmanova paper presently under discussion the Kumtepe sample is also labeled Kumtepe 6, is dated 4846 - 4618 BC and is said to be in a Chalcolithic context. Unless I'm missing something, this would seem to be the same sample that was analyzed in Omrak et al, despite the fact that they're calling it Chalcolithic. It's certainly not from 3500-2800 BC.

Even in the earlier period under discussion, this seems to have been an area that was heavily involved in dairy farming. Many of the pottery sherds seem to be from cheese strainers and butter churns.
https://www.academia.edu/714609/Patterns_of_Dairying_in_Coastal_Northwestern_Anatolia

A summary of the Anatolian Chalcolithic. There was a lot of regionalism and so there could have been a lot of genetic variation.
https://www.academia.edu/9491182/An...ia_Anth.245_Mediterranean_Area_by_G._Mumford_

See also:
The Middle Chalcolithic Cultural Sequence of the Troad
https://www.academia.edu/14422493/T...nd_European_Archaeology_1_Vienna_2014_125_155

How can you possibly write such a thing? Greeks and Spaniards and Tuscans share tons of Neolithic farmer ancestry. How can they have nothing in common with each other? There are dozens of analyses, admixture, IBD, PCA, etc., which show that some northern Greeks from Thessaly overlap the southernmost Tuscans, and the rest plot south and east of the Tuscans. Albanians and people from Kosovo are also very close to them autosomally.

The only thing they share in common genetically is similar proportions of ancestry from pre-historic West Eurasians, unless someone proves they have more recent connections(which is possible). They share as much in common as Ukrainians and Irish do. I was thinking of recent and ethnic connections which as far as we know Spain/Italy/Greece have none.

Just to clarify, Omrak et al analyzed both Kumtepe 6, which they said was found in a Neolithic context and is dated to 5000-4500 BC., (4700 BC) and Kumtepe 4, dated 3500-2800 BC. However, the low coverage they got for Kumtepe 4 means that they used it only to confirm the patterns in Kumtepe 6. So, the quotes above from Omrak et al really are related to the older Kumtepe sample. Even at that early period, Omrak et al found that Kumtepe 6 included 45% of a "green" component which was found at 51% in the Armenian Bronze Age. The "European Neolithic" component was orange.

Kumtepe 4 is from the Early Bronze of Anatolia and is dated from 3500 to 2800 BC.

In the Hofmanova paper presently under discussion the Kumtepe sample is also labeled Kumtepe 6, is dated 4846 - 4618 BC and is said to be in a Chalcolithic context. Unless I'm missing something, this would seem to be the same sample that was analyzed in Omrak et al, despite the fact that they're calling it Chalcolithic. It's certainly not from 3500-2800 BC.

Even in the earlier period under discussion, this seems to have been an area that was heavily involved in dairy farming. Many of the pottery sherds seem to be from cheese strainers and butter churns.
https://www.academia.edu/714609/Patterns_of_Dairying_in_Coastal_Northwestern_Anatolia

A summary of the Anatolian Chalcolithic. There was a lot of regionalism and so there could have been a lot of genetic variation.
https://www.academia.edu/9491182/An...ia_Anth.245_Mediterranean_Area_by_G._Mumford_

See also:
The Middle Chalcolithic Cultural Sequence of the Troad
https://www.academia.edu/14422493/T...nd_European_Archaeology_1_Vienna_2014_125_155

Thanks for the info. Because of the low coverage of Kum4 we can be sure of anything.

[/COLOR]The only thing they share in common genetically is similar proportions of ancestry from pre-historic West Eurasians, unless someone proves they have more recent connections(which is possible). They share as much in common as Ukrainians and Irish do. I was thinking of recent and ethnic connections which as far as we know Spain/Italy/Greece have none.

Obviously, you understand that they do indeed have a lot in common, but that isn't what you wrote. Words matter, Fire-Haired. It's very important to use them properly to accurately convey meaning.

Thanks for the info. Because of the low coverage of Kum4 we can be sure of anything.

I'm assuming you meant to write "we can't be sure of anything". That isn't at all, however, the conclusion that can be properly drawn. Both papers seem to have analyzed Kumtepe 6, which is high coverage. The low coverage of Kumtepe 4 is therefore irrelevant to that analysis.

Unless, of course, you're saying that the Hofmanova paper analyzed the Bronze Age Kumtepe 4 sample. If that's the case, could you point me to where it says that in the paper?

@Angela

When I read about the Anatolian IE the consensus idea seemed to be they didn't conquer but arrived for some reason and then gradually took over from the inside.

To me that sounds more like invited artisans / traders / mercenaries than a tribal migration in which case they could have arrived by sea without a trail.

However that doesn't help with

unless they were quite a small minority and we haven't found any Hittite bigwigs yet.

This had to be a very early departure and not coincidentally it's the oldest historically attested IE language because it was the first to encounter a literate civilization. Hittite is about as archaic as they come among IE. This is actually why when I saw the Yamnaya samples at Z2103 it made perfect sense as the modern Z2103 distribution fits the range of Anatolian languages perfectly. I bet IE Anatolian was in Anatolia by 3000BC.

Remind me, is there any WHG in the bronze age Armenian at all? It doesnt matter though because I wouldn't be surprised by this admixture at all if the Y DNA line had been in the region for 1600 years among non IndoEuropean populations.

This thread has been viewed 16128 times.

Back