Obesity - #1 Health Threat to Americans

kirei_na_me said:
I still say it's mostly genetics. The Japanese are just naturally small and thin.

It's certainly not only genetics. That wouldn't explain the disparity between Europeans and white Americans.

I also eat a lot (3 times more than my parents or other relative, or any most Japanese), but I stay slim as well. Exercice is not the only factor. I know I use a lot of intellectual energy. Sometimes weather has an influence too. Winters in Tokyo aren't so cold, but the temperature inside a house and outside is usually the same, around 5 degree the evening or night (even with heating, once you turn it off, 5 min later it's freezing again). Consequently, I have been eating more and losing weight this winter !

I suppose that a balanced diet helps a lot not gain weight. There are periods when I eat pasta too often, and immediately put on a few kilos.

"I still say it's mostly genetics. The Japanese are just naturally small and thin. "

So how do the sumo's get so fat?

Because they eat a tremendous amount of food and then go to sleep. How many sumo wrestlers are in all of Japan? I don't think you can base anything on not even a handful of the population. Especially when they have a specialized diet and most started out taller than average and pretty husky anyway.

By the way, I thought this was a pretty interesting article on the diet of the sumo:

http://www.gastronomica.org/gastro/pages/sample4.1.html

Last edited:
My Hunting Buddy Has A Woodsman,one Of...

Golgo_13 said:
What's your favorite piece of weapon?

I like a Colt Woodsman .22 because when I was a kid there was a Japanese comic book series called "Wild Seven", about 7 renegade cops. The main character packed a Woodsman.

the first made, very old model! I carry a 45ACP, cocked&locked, 8 in the clip, 1 chambered in the small of my back. 2 stainless spare clips of 8 RDS each in the back pocket. Concealed carry since 1973. The shape is imprinted in my back!!

Frank

PS One round is very filling but the person loses a great deal of fluid weight; tough way to diet!!

I think if you look at the ratio of total calories consumed to total calories expended you'll find that Americans probably come up with the worst number of just about anywhere. Overeating is the norm (as is over-snacking as that article mentions). Just go to any restaurant and order a typical entree; you will get enough food for two people. On top of that Americans as a whole lead a very sedentary lifestyle. So I think the answer is overeating + inactivity = FAT. A secondary factor is the contents of the diet itself (fatty foods vs carbs & proteins) but I think the overall number of calories is the main problem.

I don't think it's genetics...I've seen Mexican folks living on their diet and never get fat...but get them into the US, and they become blimps (pardon the imagery). I think it's the massive sugar intake...nearly every foreigner that enters American complains about how overly sweet things are in the US...Krispy Kreme Anyone? And you don't just get a 150 ml of coke to down them donuts, you get your 2 gallon jug of your favorite sweet drink at 7-11, and don't forget to super size it at McDees, or get one pizza free when you buy two extra large size....the pattern I see is over consumption...not satisfied with Japanese portions of food....you gotta supersize everything :D

Posted for EscaFlowne

:eek:
Actually in a sense its both of those what your talking about. America dose have this lovely thing with sugar and supersizing. But also genetics as well. There was an article on the news where they believe that some people are destined to turn into "Blimps" as you so lovely said it while others are not. I believe America's need to supersize and add an large amount of sugar to everything just dosen't help the average person stay thin.
:eek:
but i'm just speaking...eep!...i mean meep!

Lot of factors:

Our Lifestyle
Our Work Habit
Our Genetics
Our Diet
Our Attitude towards life (which has plenty of stress.)

etc. etc. etc.

Golgo_13 said:
One last factor:

Making excuses

True.

I think I was lucky in that I was pushed into running by a mom who was and still is a P.E. teacher and track coach for 30 years. I used to run an average of 5 miles per day. I don't do that now, but I do have to have at least 1 hour's worth of exercise(walking now) every single day. If I don't, I feel like a blob.

I wish people could realize it's not that painful. I put on the mp3 player, volume up as loud as it'll go, and get going. Either on the treadmill or out on the town. It does a body good. Good for you emotionally as well as physically.

Golgo_13 said:
One last factor:

Making excuses

Whoops, I forgot that one. :p

Kirei, I agree, walking is pretty good. I do it every day. It makes you feel better, and it boosts your libido (indirectly). But that's just me, I don't know about you guys...although I do know it benefits you, in one way or another.... :blush:

(500th post.)

Yes, does good things for the libido. Not that I need it for that, though... :blush:

(congrats on post 500!)

kirei_na_me said:
Yes, does good things for the libido. Not that I need it for that, though... :blush:

(congrats on post 500!)

[shameless plug]
*pouts, tousles hair* Well I do! I'm a virgin, out of love, and out of time for anything that has to do with. *pouts again, smiles like Tomo-chan*
[/shameless plug]

(Thanks for the compliment.)

Speaking of posts, I wonder what happened to all of mine. I used to have about 650, but now only have about 180. Anyone know?

Hmmmm...

Satori said:
Speaking of posts, I wonder what happened to all of mine. I used to have about 650, but now only have about 180. Anyone know?

Not to play devil's advocate, Satori, but have you been posting on the Chit-Chat/Humour sections? :clueless:

Hachiko said:
Not to play devil's advocate, Satori, but have you been posting on the Chit-Chat/Humour sections? :clueless:

Do you mean a long time ago? If so, yes. But if you are referring to since the site was changed (which is also when my number of posts decreased), then no. Did the policy change or something while I was gone??

den4 said:
I don't think it's genetics...I've seen Mexican folks living on their diet and never get fat...but get them into the US, and they become blimps (pardon the imagery). I think it's the massive sugar intake...nearly every foreigner that enters American complains about how overly sweet things are in the US...Krispy Kreme Anyone? And you don't just get a 150 ml of coke to down them donuts, you get your 2 gallon jug of your favorite sweet drink at 7-11, and don't forget to super size it at McDees, or get one pizza free when you buy two extra large size....the pattern I see is over consumption...not satisfied with Japanese portions of food....you gotta supersize everything :D

Good point ! :cool: It's surely related to the excess of sugar and big size everything.

Hachiko said:
[shameless plug]
I'm a virgin, out of love, and out of time for anything that has to do with.

Me too!

"Like a virgin, touched for the very first time, like a virrrrrgin, when your heart beats, next to mine . . . . "

:D :p :sorry: :cool: :shock: :D :p :sorry: :cool: :shock:
:D :p :sorry: :cool: :shock: :D :p :sorry: :cool: :shock:

This thread has been viewed 26266 times.

Back