Politics Osama Bin Laden is dead

I agree, he deserved what he got. I don't agree with the celebration and gloating side of it, if that is the way we now behave then it makes us as bad as the extremists who celebrate the deaths of their victims.

I agree, the celebrations were unfortunate. It's hard to condem the Arabs celebrating in the streets after terrorist attacks and burning countries flags when the Americans take such joy from seeing a terrorist murdered.

Americans want to talk about the tragedy of 911 and the people killed in the towers, but to then go into the middle east and kill tens of thousands of civilians in illegal wars. The British Government are just as guilty so it's not a purely anti-american sentiment.

As for Regulus you can't storm off every time you don't like what people are saying. The whole point of debate is to argue your point of view and that's what forums are all about.

Haha.. I doubt it more and more. Should we believe the story because Obama tells us so?
I think not!

Where is the evidence of anything that could prove they are not lying?

For instance.. Corpus delicti flown about 1800 km to dump it into the sea from a US Navy Aircraft Carrier?
With what are you flying the body bag? A helicopter? If an airplane, can it land on the Carrier?
Or did they take the dead body in a helicopter, looked for sharks somewhere in the Northern Arabian Sea, and dumped it there.
Still not plausible. You don't want to get the body washed ashore.
So, I think the entire sea grave story is bogus.

Another thing is the DNA test. Again bogus. Nobody can do such a test in such a short time.
You need to have a specialized lab to do that. And why should you do that, if you were so certain it's OBL?

My best guess is, the entire story was staged.
The compound was near a Pakistan Military Academy, so it would serve as an officer training center.

Pakistani weren't told about the action?
They aren't that daffed. Of course they would register the movement of airplanes and helicopters.
Again incredible part of a lousy story.

The President watching video of CIA...
Well.. They did Jurassic Park..
A movie to fool the President would be a piece of cake, and they had plenty of time to do it.

And another thing..
If OBL would have been alive in the last 9 years or so, why didn't he do us a favor, and appear on video with at least some recent newspapers? Very easy trick that even boy scouts know... ;)

But the main point is.. In murder investigations there is no murder without a dead body.
So.. There is no dead OBL. So .. It bloody never happened.

It's also really odd how they are telling everyone that Obama was watching the assault live and releasing photos of him looking nervous watching the footage. I have never seen any government release this kind of information, what would the purpose be?

Do they think if they release footage of the president viewing a fictional event that should remove any doubt that it happened?

source

You obviously are not familiar with American news coverage of such events. The release of such pictures in the U.S. is so standard as to have become banal. I would have been surprised were they not released.

You might reference all the pictures released of meetings in the secure room under the White House in the days after 9/11, or all the way back to pictures taken of President Kennedy during the Bay of Pigs. Oh wait, I know, that's just proof that every photo of every action taken by Americans is fake, and part of some vast disinformation campaign. There was no botched invasion of the Bay of Pigs, no Operation Iran, no Blackhawk Down. What a relief.

Famously, some presidents were so naive as to record every conversation conducted in the Oval Office. Richard Nixon, Watergate? Hello? His failure to erase the tapes cost him his presidency.(Which I was actually quite happy about.) Being so much more experienced in deceit, I'm sure no European leader would ever have made such a mistake.

BTW, I hardly think the picture released flatters President Obama in any way. He looks very diminished and overwhelmed to me, and far too frightened. Had I been there, I would hardly have been reassured or calmed by my leader. To be able to project concern and strength at the same time is a difficult but necessary skill in a leader, it seems to me, and I don't see it there.

I will just briefly add that if someone is inclined to see conspiracies under every bush, nothing either I, or anyone else, will say, will ever convince them otherwise. There are Americans also predisposed to this kind of paranoia, but Europeans seem to be far worse. Perhaps it's a function of their general feeling of powerlessness with regard to their political fate. What conspiracy theorists willfully ignore is the fact that no one is in control, everyone talks, and every government run by man is so incompetent that it is a mystery how the garbage gets picked up. Oh wait, it isn't picked up in some places!

I will also just generally say that every time I think the American media is incredibly sloppy and agenda driven, I just have to read some European media. Pakistan is denying he was there and has been Killed? Uh, I don't think so. I just saw the Pakistani ambassador to the U.S. on CNN. The only thing he was denying was that they knew he was there. The take-away from all of that is that either they were complicit or way more incompetent than is the norm.

As to the DNA, does anyone really believe that in ten years no DNA has been collected? For one thing, the FBI got a court order to take a sample from the body of Bin Ladin's sister after she died in Boston where she had been treated for cancer. But don't let facts get in the way of your speculation.

@Angela have you actually seen the pictures?
KxuGl.jpg

Just kidding!:grin:

A new post on 23andMe's blog looked awfully like a reply to my comment here about Bin Laden's DNA. They point out that DNA fingerprinting could be done in just two hours. But that still doesn't satisfy me, because either they would have needed to send the sample back to the States (over 12 hours away from Pakistan), or US troops were purposefully carrying a cumbersome DNA testing equipment with them to Pakistan, knowing fully well that they were going to kill Bin Laden and test his DNA. That seems too far-fetched and convoluted to be plausible. They have been hunting the man for 9.5 years; how could they be so sure that they were going to get him now ?

Then, why would they need to go through such trouble with the DNA test when they could just as well have shown the body to the global press ? Everybody knows Bin Laden's face. It would have been more convincing than a hypothetical DNA test (it could just as well be a lie, as nobody has access to the results, and even if we did, nobody has Bin Laden's DNA to verify the presumed body's authenticity).

Why get rid of the body so quickly and in a place where it cannot be recovered (at sea) ?

Anyway, I don't think that Bin Laden's death is going to make a whole lot of difference. There are tens of millions of fanatical Muslims who hate the West. Bin Laden is just a celebrity, not to say a scapegoat, but his death is unlikely to deter fanatics to commit other terrorist acts in the name of religion. I do not feel that the world has become safer because one man is dead. That would be over-exaggerating his power.

OK, I'll come clean - he's sitting in my family room watching daytime TV with me.

I think that for the most part I have respected the fact that this is a European forum and have consequently held my tongue when I see the usual anti-US comments.

I certainly expected all kinds of denial that Bin laden is in fact dead. For the record, if we just wanted to say that he was dead, we would have been more likely to have hit the bloody compound with a Cruise missile. (I'm would not be surprised if many here protested against the installation of those by Reagan in the 80's)

Now, in addition to all the conspiracy theories, I have to see a complaint we are just too jubilant over here about his death. The self-righteous attitudes displayed here are often insufferable. Some people are just unbelievable.

I have no doubt that many will be happy to see me go and will, at best, say good riddance to me.

Enjoy each other's company.

One last thing to Anton, Bears Den: Thanks again for your wishes. You confirmed my personal belief that George W. Bush’s greatest foreign policy error was failing to forge a strong friendship/partnership with post-communist Russia. That was a major failure and a missed opportunity to work together.

Regulus it was not only twin towers, but London Subway and other in Europe that were bombed,
altough USA-CIA is the Boss, it is NATO that take decisions, and to NATO, want or not, All EU is inside almost,

But the case, the exact time, and the operation, hmmmmm stings for me,
looks like a movie- or a scenario under command for a movie production,
the time is important to me,
the exact time that kandafi bombed, Syria is on loose and tanks massacre people, a ghost from the past, just shot in the head?????

hmmmm
maybe tommorow we see a treaty among Palaistinians and Israelites!!!!!!
and why president anounce a simple military operation,
would it be the same in WW2 if example kill Japan's emperror?
Does someone consider that Osama is -was such a person, a country leader etc, So President of USA to read a military post?

I thing the Osama death, is not exactly as we have been told,
I don't believe that he is alive, But I doubt the story they tell us,
If Osama is alive today, then he probably has the face of Elvis, and live somewhere in south Africa, South America etc, or in USA, the hole case seems screenplay for me,
By that I don't want to decrease fighting skills of US army, but sometimes politic are over,
the next days will show us more light, or maybe 10-20 years after, when that photo complete the purpose that has been created.

@Angela have you actually seen the pictures?
KxuGl.jpg

Just kidding!:grin:

Living here in the U.S., I couldn't have avoided that photo if I wanted to. :)A picture is worth a thousand words, indeed. Some doctored shot! I think he ought to fire his whole team for releasing this.

Well I made the same complaint when some in Islamic countries were celebrating the collapse of the Twin Towers Regulus. Would you have called me self-righteous then?

I apologise if my opinion offends you, but I do not see cause for jubilation in anyone's death. Bin Laden has paid for his crimes, anything further is unecessary.

Regulus isn't the only one who is offended.

In my case, perhaps it comes of having gone to far too many funerals for fathers of young children those horrible weeks after 9/11. (BTW, those films are mostly of young university students).

And yes, it's self-righteous. Did the parents and grandparents of some of the posters on this site cheer when they heard Hitler was dead? Would it have mattered to them if he had been killed by an allied soldier instead of committing suicide because he was surrounded? I know a lot of Italians cheered the execution of Mussolini, the manner of which I don't condone, and neither do I condone the execution of the idiot girl who accompanied him. Or are all Europeans, especially young Europeans, so much more evolved now a days?.

And over and beyond that, I find the comparison between the murder of innocent civilians going to the office like every other day, and a surgical strike taking out a terrorist leader personally responsible for the deaths of thousands to be morally myopic.

Sorry to pick apart your post, Maciamo, but it has a lot to respond to in it...

A new post on 23andMe's blog looked awfully like a reply to my comment here about Bin Laden's DNA.

I assume you meant my post? I was responding to Reinaert rather than you, I didn't realize that you agreed with him. I should have read your post more carefully. 23andMe was not my source, incidentally, but it looks like they concur.

But that still doesn't satisfy me, because either they would have needed to send the sample back to the States (over 12 hours away from Pakistan), or US troops were purposefully carrying a cumbersome DNA testing equipment with them to Pakistan, knowing fully well that they were going to kill Bin Laden and test his DNA.

#2, I assume. And they could also do DNA testing if they captured him, so this doesn't imply that they were planning on killing him no matter what. I doubt it's particularly cumbersome compared to some of the military equipment they would have been carrying.

Then, why would they need to go through such trouble with the DNA test when they could just as well have shown the body to the global press ? Everybody knows Bin Laden's face. It would have been more convincing than a hypothetical DNA test (it could just as well be a lie, as nobody has access to the results, and even if we did, nobody has Bin Laden's DNA to verify the presumed body's authenticity).

Somebody can look like somebody else, but only a Bin Laden can match DNA with Bin Laden's sister.

Anyway, I don't think that Bin Laden's death is going to make a whole lot of difference. There are tens of millions of fanatical Muslims who hate the West. Bin Laden is just a celebrity, not to say a scapegoat, but his death is unlikely to deter fanatics to commit other terrorist acts in the name of religion. I do not feel that the world has become safer because one man is dead. That would be over-exaggerating his power.

It's even possible that there could be blowback from radical Muslims who want retaliation. His death will be thought of as a martyrdom, regardless of the US efforts to properly dispose of the body.

Personally, I'm not one to rejoice over death, I have serious qualms with US foreign policy, and I have no doubt that the US government spin machine is at work right now, trying to influence opinions in both the West and the Muslim world. But I have little doubt that Osama is dead.

I do not see much gain from Bin Laden's death. It is on other hand likely pretext for new 11/09...

I've heard India was urgently buying weapons some time ago.... perhaps they found out Bin Laden's death will happen now, and that it is likely to trigger instability in Pakistan.....however, I expect that this will lead to something different...

You obviously are not familiar with American news coverage of such events. The release of such pictures in the U.S. is so standard as to have become banal. I would have been surprised were they not released.

You might reference all the pictures released of meetings in the secure room under the White House in the days after 9/11, or all the way back to pictures taken of President Kennedy during the Bay of Pigs. Oh wait, I know, that's just proof that every photo of every action taken by Americans is fake, and part of some vast disinformation campaign. There was no botched invasion of the Bay of Pigs, no Operation Iran, no Blackhawk Down. What a relief.

Famously, some presidents were so naive as to record every conversation conducted in the Oval Office. Richard Nixon, Watergate? Hello? His failure to erase the tapes cost him his presidency.(Which I was actually quite happy about.) Being so much more experienced in deceit, I'm sure no European leader would ever have made such a mistake.

BTW, I hardly think the picture released flatters President Obama in any way. He looks very diminished and overwhelmed to me, and far too frightened. Had I been there, I would hardly have been reassured or calmed by my leader. To be able to project concern and strength at the same time is a difficult but necessary skill in a leader, it seems to me, and I don't see it there.

I will just briefly add that if someone is inclined to see conspiracies under every bush, nothing either I, or anyone else, will say, will ever convince them otherwise. There are Americans also predisposed to this kind of paranoia, but Europeans seem to be far worse. Perhaps it's a function of their general feeling of powerlessness with regard to their political fate. What conspiracy theorists willfully ignore is the fact that no one is in control, everyone talks, and every government run by man is so incompetent that it is a mystery how the garbage gets picked up. Oh wait, it isn't picked up in some places!

I will also just generally say that every time I think the American media is incredibly sloppy and agenda driven, I just have to read some European media. Pakistan is denying he was there and has been Killed? Uh, I don't think so. I just saw the Pakistani ambassador to the U.S. on CNN. The only thing he was denying was that they knew he was there. The take-away from all of that is that either they were complicit or way more incompetent than is the norm.

As to the DNA, does anyone really believe that in ten years no DNA has been collected? For one thing, the FBI got a court order to take a sample from the body of Bin Ladin's sister after she died in Boston where she had been treated for cancer. But don't let facts get in the way of your speculation.

Beautiful writeup Angela!

Killing and throwing Osama's body to ocean was a brilliant idea. There was no need for a trial that would cost many millions of dollars, because he confessed to the crime in many interviews and all clues pointed to him too.
Leaving body dead in Pakistan would mean that followers will build mausoleum with possible cult and pilgrimages to his grave. Throwing him to the ocean was genius, meaning that his followers will never find the body.
The mistake would be to bring his body to US and become even a bigger target for terrorists which would love to free his body from the "devil". Unnecessary risk avoided.
Body was, sank/buried within proper time for muslim customs therefore not angering too many muslims, if there are any indifferent left. :grin:
A+ for Obama.

As to conspiracy theorists, so many on this forum. What would be the goal of faking Osama death? What would US accomplish? The consequences of Osama death turning a lie would be few folds bigger. The reward doesn't justify risk of failure. Just this logic tells me that it must be true.
Off course I cannot be 100% sure, but the odds of this to be true are overwhelming, so I'll go with them.

For enthusiasts of conspiracies. How about a rouge US general in CIA, who hates Obama, fakes killing Osama bin Laden. Whole story turns bogus a week later. Obama takes responsibility and incompetence for this and resigns.
Good one?

In my case, perhaps it comes of having gone to far too many funerals for fathers of young children those horrible weeks after 9/11. (BTW, those films are mostly of young university students).

And yes, it's self-righteous. Did the parents and grandparents of some of the posters on this site cheer when they heard Hitler was dead? Would it have mattered to them if he had been killed by an allied soldier instead of committing suicide because he was surrounded? I know a lot of Italians cheered the execution of Mussolini, the manner of which I don't condone, and neither do I condone the execution of the idiot girl who accompanied him. Or are all Europeans, especially young Europeans, so much more evolved now a days?.

And over and beyond that, I find the comparison between the murder of innocent civilians going to the office like every other day, and a surgical strike taking out a terrorist leader personally responsible for the deaths of thousands to be morally myopic.

And London and Madrid and Bali don't forget. The US is not the only country who has lost citizens.

You're now equating Bin Laden with Hitler and Mussolini? Wow, that's some step up for a madman reduced to hiding in caves for much of 10yrs. But the difference is that the deaths of Hitler and Mussolini actually meant the end of war in Europe, the death of Bin Laden means next to nothing. He did not plan, organise or mastermind attacks, the person who does all that is still out there.......somewhere.

Morally myopic? Mmmm interesting choice of words when you talk about the deaths of a couple of thousand innocent US civilians going about their everyday life. Especially compared all those (how many thousands now?) innocent civilians just going about everday life Iraq and Afghanistan who have lost not only their lives but (in some cases) their whole families, homes, jobs and, what the hell, their countries too. It is actually quite offensive that the US can bang on about American deaths without any recognition that others have lost so much more as a result of that horrible day. Are Americans somehow more special than anyone else?

Like I said, I don't agree with the celebration of any death.

And London and Madrid and Bali don't forget. The US is not the only country who has lost citizens.

You're now equating Bin Laden with Hitler and Mussolini? Wow, that's some step up for a madman reduced to hiding in caves for much of 10yrs. But the difference is that the deaths of Hitler and Mussolini actually meant the end of war in Europe, the death of Bin Laden means next to nothing. He did not plan, organise or mastermind attacks, the person who does all that is still out there.......somewhere.

Morally myopic? Mmmm interesting choice of words when you talk about the deaths of a couple of thousand innocent US civilians going about their everyday life. Especially compared all those (how many thousands now?) innocent civilians just going about everday life Iraq and Afghanistan who have lost not only their lives but (in some cases) their whole families, homes, jobs and, what the hell, their countries too. It is actually quite offensive that the US can bang on about American deaths without any recognition that others have lost so much more as a result of that horrible day. Are Americans somehow more special than anyone else?

Hmmmm

let me see and realize,

Before 9/11 the Usa people were not in mood to invade Iraq,
Bush elder Did not invade in that scale, Afraid? of Arabs or a return of the Vietnam Ghost 'political acts, Bring our Boys Back'? or the cost of such operation

so the case of 9/11 could be also organised by some agents, or USA gov knew about it, as many conspiracy movies say. so feel that they have to invade,
In that case, today interest is in Syria, Libya, Yemen,
Afganistan troops offer less there than in Lybia or Syria,
Money to send new troops are many, and the cost of Having troops in Afganistan ,Iraq, Balkans, where ever else is Huge,

As I said the problem for Osama Death for me is the exact Time,
And seems like in 10-20 days I will be true, I hope,

Instead of charging USA tax payers, to send new and more troops to Lybia, Syria,
Obama is retrieving the troops from Afganistan, so to move them in Mediteranneo to be able to control-invade Lybia or Syria,

If in 10-20 days USA removes 000 of soldier, and starts to send them in Lybia, Syria,
then the whole case is just a low money operation, and Osama's death as we have seen is a screenplay,

Beautiful writeup Angela!

Killing and throwing Osama's body to ocean was a brilliant idea. There was no need for a trial that would cost many millions of dollars, because he confessed to the crime in many interviews and all clues pointed to him too.
Leaving body dead in Pakistan would mean that followers will build mausoleum with possible cult and pilgrimages to his grave. Throwing him to the ocean was genius, meaning that his followers will never find the body.
The mistake would be to bring his body to US and become even a bigger target for terrorists which would love to free his body from the "devil". Unnecessary risk avoided.
Body was, sank/buried within proper time for muslim customs therefore not angering too many muslims, if there are any indifferent left. :grin:
A+ for Obama.

As to conspiracy theorists, so many on this forum. What would be the goal of faking Osama death? What would US accomplish? The consequences of Osama death turning a lie would be few folds bigger. The reward doesn't justify risk of failure. Just this logic tells me that it must be true.
Off course I cannot be 100% sure, but the odds of this to be true are overwhelming, so I'll go with them.

For enthusiasts of conspiracies. How about a rouge US general in CIA, who hates Obama, fakes killing Osama bin Laden. Whole story turns bogus a week later. Obama takes responsibility and incompetence for this and resigns.
Good one?

remember few years before the economical crisis in USA, with some banking systems collapse,
and how much cost to USA tax payers having troops abroad, and crisis in their own lands,

Simply it is clever move, to close Al Qaeda File, and start Lybia or Syria File,

just think that in Yemen and somalia pirates, how much cost to global merchant ships.

for me the case of Osama is a quick, close Afganistan case, and start another,

in case that some are offended
I would say don't trust politician that much, especially when they use Media,
remember that modern politician are actors, they have they are able to persue you that white is black, especially when using media,

for me it is more possible the Osama was dead 3-9 years before, and yesterday was the proper day,
or co-operates with some CIA agents and lives with Elvis face,
than was killed yesterday.

Hmmmm

let me see and realize,

Before 9/11 the Usa people were not in mood to invade Iraq,
Bush elder Did not invade in that scale, Afraid? of Arabs or a return of the Vietnam Ghost 'political acts, Bring our Boys Back'? or the cost of such operation

so the case of 9/11 could be also organised by some agents, or USA gov knew about it, as many conspiracy movies say. so feel that they have to invade,
In that case, today interest is in Syria, Libya, Yemen,
Afganistan troops offer less there than in Lybia or Syria,
Money to send new troops are many, and the cost of Having troops in Afganistan ,Iraq, Balkans, where ever else is Huge,

As I said the problem for Osama Death for me is the exact Time,
And seems like in 10-20 days I will be true, I hope,

Instead of charging USA tax payers, to send new and more troops to Lybia, Syria,
Obama is retrieving the troops from Afganistan, so to move them in Mediteranneo to be able to control-invade Lybia or Syria,

If in 10-20 days USA removes 000 of soldier, and starts to send them in Lybia, Syria,
then the whole case is just a low money operation, and Osama's death as we have seen is a screenplay,

remember few years before the economical crisis in USA, with some bank collapse,
and how much cost to USA tax payers having troops abroad, and crisis in their own lands,

Simply it is clever move, to close Al Qaeda File, and start Lybia or Syria File,

just think that in Yemen and somalia pirates, how much cost to global merchant ships.

Now about my feelings,

I only could say Relief, I don't feel Happy Victorius and Glorius,
the Osama could be a modern Jean D' Arc.

Jean was pain in the ass for English, France, And Pope of Rome,
Osama was pain in Ass for Russians (ex Ussr inavsion) USAers, and perhaps some Muslim Leaders,
maybe Osama wanted to create a modern Muslim Monk style dogma, an idealist, that wanted to turn back to 7th century,
Nobody knows exactly, but surely many of his followers can be considered Terrorists,
since one is living a A model of Life, another must Follow than Model?
I Don't know about Western style is ok or the best, But I accept that is more open to different people and dogmas, than a theocratic forcing system that forces woman to be hidden etc
I don't know if he was Theoritical, a prophet of Muslims, or a true terrorist,
No matter how, I feel that islamic world is turning page, and perhaps the time of announce is about Orthodox of Islam to quit actions, since their Human model is dead,

so the exact timing, serves 4
1 the prestige of Obama,
2 the close case and call back troops of Afganistan to send them else,
3 to depress Orthodox Islamist, and show to Arabic president-tyrants that must accept
changes, and free will of people.
4 that invasion times are over since leader is dead, so they go back to 1970-80 peace times,

remember that each invasion cause a huge devastation of immigrants to Europe,

Jean was executed, althought had a trial

Look at this, already a dedicated page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reactions_to_the_death_of_Osama_bin_Laden

What surprises me is a lack of big manifestation against US in middle east. Is muslim world still in big shock? Or maybe they didn't care for Osama anymore and felt more of relieve that he's gone?

Come on, let people celebrate in this case, it's good for unity. Besides, I'm sure you'll find cultures recent or in past, celebrating with joy death of people. After all they believe that deceased go to enjoy everlasting, great life in heaven. What's sad about this?

Last edited:
I hate in general conspiracies theories… but the manor this operation was conducted is a conspiracy makers wet dream.

Osama was half dead old man with huge health problems. Killing him has a huge gift to him. Now he stands as one that fought to the end… rather then an old sad man in prison.

It does not make any sense at all to get rid of the body so fast. Now Osama is a mythical ghost or a hero to the terrorists.

As with all operations sins 911 US fails again in a big way.

Come on, let people celebrate in this case, it's good for unity. Besides, I'm sure you'll find cultures recent or in past, celebrating with joy death of people. After all they believe that deceased go to enjoy everlasting, great life in heaven. What said about this?

Well if OBL's death meant the end of terrorism, the collapse of AQ and all it stood for then celebration would be understandable. But all his killing was about is revenge and humiliation, first we are told he died cowering behind a woman and today it is said that he was unarmed and wasn't using his wife as a shield. So, what it boils down to is merely execution without trial, what's to celebrate with that?

I guess, for millions that rejoice, the justice happened. I was more happy than not hearing the news, though didn't care much about this. Hearing about death of anyone that wants to destroy my way of life, my freedoms, my western values I'm happy too.

I guess after the Peace Nobel Prize for Obama,
he will get an Oscar for the best fiction movie of 2011! :LOL:

This thread has been viewed 71868 times.

Back