Phenotype and y-chromosom

Well, there are XY females too. But that's not what I meant by saying that sex chromosomes have nothing to do with appearance. He was talking about looking like one's father due to the Y chromosome.
I knew that you knew, just explained some more, built up on it, for Plutarch.

Wait a minute, did someone just said that my y-chromosome could come actually from my mother?

Wait a minute, did someone just said that my y-chromosome could come actually from my mother?
Your mother gave you 23 chromosomes but there was no Y in it. She has two XX. Only men have XY. If father gives X to new child then he creates female, if father gives Y he creates a son.

Only in sporadic situations, bad genes combination, one in 10,000 or so, a person can have too many chromosomes and instead of YX will have YXX. It is called chimera, and person can display both sexes characteristics. I'm not sure though if chimera can have children at all and pass Y to next generation. Anyway Chimera can be classified as both male and female, so this person is not your typical mother to transfer Y.

Your mother gave you 23 chromosomes but there was no Y in it. She has two XX. Only men have XY. If father gives X to new child then he creates female, if father gives Y he creates a son.

Only in sporadic situations, bad genes combination, one in 10,000 or so, a person can have too many chromosomes and instead of YX will have YXX. It is called chimera, and person can display both sexes characteristics. I'm not sure though if chimera can have children at all and pass Y to next generation. Anyway Chimera can be classified as both male and female, so this person is not your typical mother to transfer Y.

XXY is called Klinefelter syndrome. The person with this genotype is phenotypically male but can't have children.

This thread has been viewed 14132 times.

Back