r1b u106 in france

tjlowery87

Reaction score
Ethnic group
english,bavaria.thats all i know
I was wondering what the percentage of r1b u106 is in france?............thanks

Between 2-8% of French males; actually the Germanic R-S21 is surprisingly rare in France.

Germany 20-25% of males! once we hit Holland it's about 40% of the males; England has about 20% as well; legacy of the continental angles, Jutes and Saxons that migrated from holland or Denmark towards southeastern England.

Highest R-S21 frequencies in order: Holland 35-40%, Austria 23-25%, Germany 20-25%, England 20%, Denmark 17%, Czech Republic 14%, Switzerland 12-13%.

just wondering if anyone thinks that at least small part of the R1b-S21 found in England could be from Normans rather than Anglo-Saxons or Danes? or would that be rare, at best?

No, the Normans came from Normandie, a province of north-central France. They probably had R-S28 predominance with possibly R1b-P312* and I1 substratums in my opinion (nice enough amounts.) The Danes and Dutch that migrated to southeastern England's Danelaw region brought R-S21 and possibly some I1 to England; Viking presence has also been attested and could be a source for some of the I1. The continental Germanics that migrated from the two prior country's I stated where the tribes of the Angles, the Jutes, and the Saxons (Anglo-Saxons) versus the Scotti who were a Pict variety of celt (R1b-L21).

Last edited:
No fool, the Normans came from Normandie, a province of north-central France. They probably had R-S28 predominance with possibly R1b-P312* and I1 substratums in my opinion (nice enough amounts.) The Danes and Dutch that migrated to southeastern England's Danelaw region brought R-S21 and possibly some I1 to England; Viking presence has also been attested and could be a source for some of the I1. The continental Germanics that migrated from the two prior country's I stated where the tribes of the Angles, the Jutes, and the Saxons (Anglo-Saxons) versus the Scotti who were a Pict variety of celt (R1b-L21).

The Normans came originally as vikings from Denmark and Norway areas, they did not force their language and customs on the french, BUT adopted the local language and customs of the french in Normandy for themselves

In fact statistics for normandy find 10-12% I1 so its still present as a rarer substratum.

Well if there was even one Norman with R1b-U106 who had children (which must quite likely given that R1b-U106 is not absent in Normandy itself, northern France and especially in Scandinavia), then it would follow that there has got to be a good chance at least a small handful of people out there with a Norman origin R1b-U106, although i think it would be one of those things that is difficult to prove unless they knew their genaeology back to the conquest.

The Normans came originally as vikings from Denmark and Norway areas, they did not force their language and customs on the french, BUT adopted the local language and customs of the french in Normandy for themselves

Best example of that is west Sicily which was an important Normannic fiefdom and is 8.2% I1-M253 (122 samples DiGaetano et al 2009); no such figure again in any surrounding area;
The Normans even chronicled how their paternal lineages trace back to the Norse invaders of Rollo;

Then what eplains the overall low percentage of germanic lineages in the region? I1 only figures at 10%, rs21 probably less. If they had come solely\predominantly from denmark, this would be visible in modern day normans dna.

Last edited:
The Normans were not purely of Scandinavian descent. Many were of mixed Breton, Gallo-Roman, Frankish and Norse to name a few. I don't find the low presence of Germanic haplogroups to be surprising, considering the sample size from France. Northmen probably didn't come in large numbers (at least not enough to really change much in Normandy) and they did assimilate into the local culture.

Then what eplains the overall low percentage of germanic lineages in the region? I1 only figures at 10%, rs21 probably less. If they had come solely\predominantly from denmark, this would be visible in modern day normans dna.

concerning France, and other parts of the world, we are speaking about to tiny samples for the most -
1- I shall not be surprised if we find in future more (consideed) "germanic" Y markers in Normandy
2- as Brittany, Normandy is not monolithic ("one piece"): the southern "bocages" where Celts and pre-Celts (some remnants where megalithics akin to "long barrows" and Neolithic post-danubians "rubanés") were a bit different from the northern coasts of Cotentin, Bessin bassin and Pays de Caux (N-Manche, N-Calvados, N-Seine-maritime) where not only Vikings were denser but where passed some Saxons (and maybe Frisians) too - physical phenotypes confirmed that (pigmentation, stature and cephalic indexes) -
3- later Normans where very mixed for autosomals but I believe they could have retained some previous Y-HG in big proportions... Wait and see!

I'm almost sure Y-R1b-U106 will be higher in next studies in N-E France...

I doubt your last phrase, they wont find more than 10% rs21.

Mmmmm, wat part of that phrase must i savor onto in terms of its undeniable contribution to the forum? The ’in regards‘ part or the ‘only time will tell‘ portion. The answer is no more than 5-8%, maybe 10% across the country, even Switzerland has 15%ish, austria has more like 25-30%. Places hit hard by germanic invasions such as england, norway austria of course germany and holland have higher rs21 frequencies, whereas places that resiste germanic invasions such as france or places that didnt receive any such as italy naturally have lower frequencies .

The frequencies are about 25% of austrian men, 15% czech men, 14% of swiss men and 4-8% of Irish, italian and french men, for example. I would assume belgian males have 15% about as well but iwould like to know the exact frequencies if someone could find data.

The frequencies are about 25% of austrian men, 15% czech men, 14% of swiss men and 4-8% of Irish, italian and french men, for example. I would assume belgian males have 15% about as well but iwould like to know the exact frequencies if someone could find data.

It's pretty high in Belgium, up to 40% in some of the Flemish i think, but it's lower, and U152 and P312 a bit higher among the Walloons, although the Walloons still have something like 20% if i remember correctly?

Mmmmm, wat part of that phrase must i savor onto in terms of its undeniable contribution to the forum? The ’in regards‘ part or the ‘only time will tell‘ portion. The answer is no more than 5-8%, maybe 10% across the country, even Switzerland has 15%ish, austria has more like 25-30%. Places hit hard by germanic invasions such as england, norway austria of course germany and holland have higher rs21 frequencies, whereas places that resiste germanic invasions such as france or places that didnt receive any such as italy naturally have lower frequencies .

Wow so sensitive. I didn't realize this was such a sensitive topic. But anyway what I am saying is we can't be sure about how much U106 is in Normandy. We will have to wait and see.

Ugh last I checked France took its name from a Germanic people known as the "Franks". Data on France is pretty lacking so do we really know the percents accurately?

Belgium has about 15-20% rs21, as for the frankish kingdom it reigned during the 500's. The genetic history of france must have been well established at this point already.

This thread has been viewed 19456 times.

Back