Red Hair very common in Eastern European?

Reaction score
Are Red hair really that rare in Eastern Europe?
I'vs seen a lot of Hungarians and Slovenians with Red Hairs,myself being an Italian person?
What could be the reason for that?

I didn't mention Magyars but yes it's true they have the same "relative density" as Czechs compared to other East Europeans, say about 1,4-1,5% - I had about 0,8% red hairs for allover Yougoslavia, already on a limited sample. Scholars cited 0,3% for Serbs. I have not enough sample for subregions or new countries after downfall Tito's Yougoslavia.
For Slovenians I think something close to 1,2% at the maximum, just a bet.
Western Slavs had a background where Celts and Germanics played a role in some way.

I didn't mention Magyars but yes it's true they have the same "relative density" as Czechs compared to other East Europeans, say about 1,4-1,5% - I had about 0,8% red hairs for allover Yougoslavia, already on a limited sample. Scholars cited 0,3% for Serbs. I have not enough sample for subregions or new countries after downfall Tito's Yougoslavia.
For Slovenians I think something close to 1,2% at the maximum, just a bet.
Western Slavs had a background where Celts and Germanics played a role in some way.
France is celto-germanic right?
How much red hair french people have?

France is celto-germanic right?
How much red hair french people have?
In fact the dominant ethnical group was the Celts, Germanic unput is visible spite light enough in Northern and Eastern France (until Savoieand lyonnais)
But in Western Central and Southwest France Celts mixed with Aquitanian-Vasconian pops (roughly said).
The red hairs + reddish %'s in France until recently were very verious.
around 0,6% (0,5 to 0,8%) in Southwest, Southeast, south central (perhaps a little bit more on Atlantic shores?)-
around 0,8% in Corsica
around 1,0% in Central, central-north and central-west, maybe 1,2/1,4% in Île-de-France (around Paris, Paris kept apart)
around 2,0% (1,5 to 2,5%) in central-east, northeast (Champagne, Elsass, Lorraine, Franche-Comté, Savoie, Bourgogne)
around 2,5% in Normandy
around 3,0% in North
around 2,0% in French dialect speaking Brittany (East)
around 3,0% in Breton speaking Brittany (West)
These are my states. Red hairs have declined in France with time if I rely on ancient studies (~1900).
The Breton departments Finistère and Morbihan was then the 1° and the 3° richer ones for France, I don't know which was the 2° then) -
a limited survey found only 1,4% in Normandy but maybe they were speaking of only very 'red' or 'orange' hairs? This survey had very low % too for Highland Scots and Irish men so... It found 2,8% for Wallonia (redder than Belgium Flanders!) what is not so far from my 3,0% for northern France (Flander, Picardy and Artois/Hainaut) - for France the Iberic, Italian and even Polish immigration lowered a bit the %'s - around the 1990's I found 1,4% for allover France sportmen. But I didn't take in account the diverse local densities to produce this global %. I didn't find recent states about red and reddish hairs in France, to compare with my owns.
My states in Brittany, on ordinary pop, give the same numbers, but I stated a lowering among young school children linked to the arrival of a lot of non-Breton people in Brittany. "National" levelling effect.
As a whole, todate, Switzerland and Belgium people have more red hairs than today France.

It should have 10 times more since those countries have 10% celt- germanic admix at best. So its not celto-germanic, but its more prevalent in Ireland probably because at one point in the past was considered more attractive.

Anyways, Slovenians are light, and have all kinds of light hair variations including ginger, and funny enough, when i imagine stereotypical sloven, its light person, and could be ginger, French, is more med atlantic type

Last edited:
It should have 10 times more since those countries have 10% celt- germanic admix at best. So its not celto-germanic, but its more prevalent in Ireland probably because at one point in the past was considered more attractive.

Anyways, Slovenians are light, and have all kinds of light hair variations including ginger, and funny enough, when i imagine stereotypical sloven, its light person, and could be ginger, French, is more med atlantic type
Slovenia is a little country. France is big and you have high variations by regions, spite in towns the levelong is strong tending to kind of mean situation. In fact today France in towns absorbed a lot of foreign people, the most from South (Italy, Spain, Portugal, Armenia leaving the Muslsims aside). The only northern immigration has been the Polish one (1920/1930, the most in North and Lorraine). Frenchies are far to correspond to your 'med-atlantic' reduction, according to places.
Slovenians are not "light", they are on the 'middle to dark' side so not far from the current French mean (French people were lightets in past). What we can say is that Slovenians are the lest southern-like people of ex-Yougoslavia concerning pigmentation (so the lightest). They keep on being darker as a whole than Switzerland 'mean' and Ausria people (a bit lighter than darker).
Concerning sexual selection or anykind of selection based upon attractivity, I can say that among ancient Celts, red hairs people were considered as the worst ones, not the contrary! The kept only ONE life to evit hell in myths!

This thread has been viewed 585 times.

Back