Reaction score
Ethnic group
Down Under
Y-DNA haplogroup
T1a2 - Z19945
mtDNA haplogroup
K1a4o
Last edited:
Very remarkable contribution; thanks buddy. I must say I was not aware of this subdivision of the Romance languages​​. I guess they will have a minority of speakers without geographic dispersion.
Anyway, we will see that we say these pages.

See you.

https://twitter.com/Rui_iy

Enviado desde mi Samsung Móvil, usando Tapatalk 2.

Last edited:
They don't stretch "from the Alps to Barcelona". They are what have been traditionally known as Rhaeto-Romance and Gallo-Italian.

What is said in the prologue is that they are more related to both Oil (French) and Occ (Occitan and Catalan) than to Standard Italian, which is partly true.

I don't know whether the idea of a single standard for all those languages is good or not. The differences between, say, Romansh, Venetian and Piedmontese, are far too remarkable nowadays, and the speakers don't quite see each other as part of the same group. Even Western Lombards say to speak a different language from Eastern Lombards. It doesn't help either that their territories have not been historically united, but a series of independent republics. A unified Rhaeto-Cisalpine language, centered either on Milan or Venice, might have given a powerful Romance language, but this has not happened and is certainly not due to happen now. Specially when some of the languages are already standardized or in the process.

This thread has been viewed 3711 times.

Back