Economy Single European Currency

As far as 'united Europe' goes, it is a big thing, much bigger than just a single currency, I have to think more (and read more) in order to post about that.

About pounds sterling/Euro, I don't really mind, I would mind if I was to notice the change being used as a way of sneaking prices up :eek:kashii: but otherwise it would make it easier when travelling abroad and buying things online. :)

It is just the concern, is it good for the economy? And I don't know the economy well enough to make an answer... :worried:

But I have no sense of 'national identity' to worry about British money. :)

The UK would always oppose the independence of Northern Ireland, because it is not in the interests of the politicians and civil servants in London (who can levy taxes on Northern Irish citizens). But seen within the EU, it doesn't matter whether Northern Ireland be with the UK, with the Republic or Ireland or alone. That's why the EU can truly give people what they want, but narrow-minded member-state government, concerned with their own little power, can't.

What if the northern irish dont want to be european, would the federated EU tolerate that aswell?.
And north ireland is part of the UK because thats where most of the british settlers set down, and thats where most "irish" wish to remain british citizens.

You cant claim britain is somehow hanging onto north ireland because were just land grabbers, most of the british empire was allowed to break away peacefully, if i remember "if a member of the british empire wanted independence and could function so, it was welcome to it", thats a quote i remember, now, the break up of the british empire wasnt entirely peaceful, but much moreso then frances or other european empires.

Also i highly doubt europe forced britain into being more multi-cultural and tolerant, thats our own choice, i dont remember seeing a european telling our government and local authorities and parliament to be tolerant, thats a home grown thing.

The scottish parliament was also home-grown, the scottish wanted it, we got it, i dont remember seeing the EU politicians pressuring london for it, i dont remember seeing EU politicians building it themselves.

nurizeko said:
What if the northern irish dont want to be european, would the federated EU tolerate that aswell?.

Absolutely. Any member-state is free to leave the EU whenever they want (i.e. if a majority of the population and/or politicians are against). This is clearly stipulated in the EU Treaties. But why would any part of Ireland want to leave the EU when it has proven so profitable to them ? Before joining the EU, Ireland was one of the poorest Western European country. Now it is one of the richest in GDP per capita (2nd in the EU after Luxembourg !).

Also i highly doubt europe forced britain into being more multi-cultural and tolerant, thats our own choice, i dont remember seeing a european telling our government and local authorities and parliament to be tolerant, thats a home grown thing.

Then you should check EU directives to their member-states. Remember Europe before the EU ? WWI, WWII, not really what I call tolerance... How did (do) Brits call the Germans during these wars again ?

The scottish parliament was also home-grown, the scottish wanted it, we got it, i dont remember seeing the EU politicians pressuring london for it, i dont remember seeing EU politicians building it themselves.

Being inside the EU certainly helped the decision, as decentralisation has become a trend supported by the EU's more fundamental values (e.g. regional identity, respect of minority languages and cultures...)

This thread has been viewed 20594 times.

Back