Slave descendants to sue Lloyds

KABC Los Angeles talk radio host Larry Elder has said that black Americans as a group make up the 16th or so largest economy in the world. That had there never been any slavery, most black Americans today would be living in poor countries of Western Africa. Thus, black Americans enjoy far more economic opportunity and higher standard of living than blacks in any other nation on earth today.

They have already been well-reparated, and some, according to Elder.

BTW, Larry Elder is a black man and the author of "10 Things You Can't Say in America."

"BTW, Larry Elder is a black man and the author of "10 Things You Can't Say in America."
what's that supposed to mean? slave traders used africans to capture other africans for enslavement.
does that make it right also?

budd said:
"BTW, Larry Elder is a black man and the author of "10 Things You Can't Say in America."
what's that supposed to mean? slave traders used africans to capture other africans for enslavement.
does that make it right also?

Don't kill the messenger for the bad news.

All I did was relay what he has publicly stated. What facts can you give to refute his claims?

Elder has been called "Uncle Tom", "Sell Out", among other nice things, and has received death threats, but he will always stand for what's right instead of the victim mentality. Do you think he's the only black American who opposes reparations?

Besides, Larry Elder never captured other Africans and enslaved them, so what's your point?

KABC Los Angeles talk radio host Larry Elder has said that black Americans as a group make up the 16th or so largest economy in the world. That had there never been any slavery, most black Americans today would be living in poor countries of Western Africa. Thus, black Americans enjoy far more economic opportunity and higher standard of living than blacks in any other nation on earth today.

Wait, wait, wait a minute. So are you saying that the state of Africa would be exactly the same even if slavery never happened? Or is this Larry Elder speaking? lol

More importanty, are you saying that Africans (specifically on the west coast) would not have emigrated from parts of Africa to the new world?

Of course.

I'm not complaining about my life, BTW. People seem to think that everytime a black person says they are affected by something (slavery, racism, etc.) they automatically want handouts or sympathy.

Keeni84 said:
Or is this Larry Elder speaking? lol

Read his book "10 Things You Can't Say in America." It's in there. LOL

If you don't want to BUY his book, you can always go to any Barnes & Noble, grab a copy of the book and sit down and read for 45 minutes for free.

Sorry, Golgo, but why in the world would I want to read anything this racist Larry Elder has to say about anything?! For example, here is his list you referred to:

The Ten Things You Can't Say In America:

Blacks are More Racist than Whites
White Condescension is as Real as Black Racism
The Media Bias: It's Real, It's Widespread, It's Destructive
The Glass Ceiling: Full of Holes
America's Greatest Problem: Illegitimacy
The Big Lie: Our Health Care Crisis
The Welfare State: Helping Us to Death
Republican v. Democrat: Maybe a Dime's worth of Difference, One's for Big Government, One's for Bigger
Vietnam II: The War on Drugs, and We're Losing that One Too
Gun Control Advocates: Good Guys with Blood on Their Hands

Keeni84 said:
What do you mean? If I am missing something, please tell me, because it is evident from these posts that I really want to know!
What I mean is that having no knowledge of one's heritage is not exceptional, it's the rule.
Maybe you are more aware of the missing links/branches/roots than most other people in the world. But that's it. There are a lot of people in the world who talk about their great heritage, be it cultural or familial, but what they know are either legends or just a tiny fraction of the whole picture.
Awareness is the only real difference.

You and I both know that human beings are emotional and at many times, irrational. Should I not be affected because you want to "prove" that it is irrational to be affected? No.
I think, you should not be affected because there is no rational reason to be. Well, look who's talking: being an emotional low-burner. :banghead:
I can't really understand how anybody could have such feelings about history.
When my grandma tells me stories about the bomb nights in WW II, I'm interested & feel a certain pity for her. I don't feel personally affected in any way, though.

You have your feelings & I have to accept that. I don't have these feelings & can't really understand your reasons, though.
Maybe if you come to Germany once, I can invite you to a cup of coffee & you may be able to hammer your reasons into my head. :box:

Golgo_13 said:
That had there never been any slavery, most black Americans today would be living in poor countries of Western Africa. Thus, black Americans enjoy far more economic opportunity and higher standard of living than blacks in any other nation on earth today.
That is true to a point. The question is, where would these West African nations be today if colonialism wouldn't have existed? (Well, in the first place most of them probably wouldn't exist at all.) Nobody knows & nobody will know, therefore this comparison is not really valid.

Satori said:
Sorry, Golgo, but why in the world would I want to read anything this racist Larry Elder has to say about anything?!
Because only when you read what he says you can judge if he is racist or not! Here is a speech he held about the "10 things":
http://www.cato.org/events/transcripts/000913et2.pdf
This way you don't have to read the whole book.

BTW, what's so racist about the "10 things"? Except for the 1st one you couldn't really call anything racist. Even the 1st one is not necessarily racist if supported by valid statistics.

Satori said:
Sorry, Golgo, but why in the world would I want to read anything this racist Larry Elder has to say about anything?! For example, here is his list you referred to:

The Ten Things You Can't Say In America:

Blacks are More Racist than Whites
White Condescension is as Real as Black Racism
The Media Bias: It's Real, It's Widespread, It's Destructive
The Glass Ceiling: Full of Holes
America's Greatest Problem: Illegitimacy
The Big Lie: Our Health Care Crisis
The Welfare State: Helping Us to Death
Republican v. Democrat: Maybe a Dime's worth of Difference, One's for Big Government, One's for Bigger
Vietnam II: The War on Drugs, and We're Losing that One Too
Gun Control Advocates: Good Guys with Blood on Their Hands

Thanks. I'll forward your message to him.

Keeni84 said:
So are you saying that the state of Africa would be exactly the same even if slavery never happened ?

It probably wouldn't have changed much on the overall situation in Africa, mainly because slaves came almost exclusively for the same coast of Western Africa (as I said above), which represent less than a tenth of the size of Africa. Wouldn't have affected countries like Congo, Kenya, Ethiopia, Sudan, Zambia, South-Africa, or most other big African countries.

bossel said:
Because only when you read what he says you can judge if he is racist or not! Here is a speech he held about the "10 things":
http://www.cato.org/events/transcripts/000913et2.pdf
This way you don't have to read the whole book.

BTW, what's so racist about the "10 things"? Except for the 1st one you couldn't really call anything racist. Even the 1st one is not necessarily racist if supported by valid statistics.

Danke schon fur posting that mein freund.

You know what is peculiar about the entire topic of slavery for me? My family on my mothers side not only owned slaves, but were slaves.

*shakes head* So strange.

Winter said:
You know what is peculiar about the entire topic of slavery for me? My family on my mothers side not only owned slaves, but were slaves.

*shakes head* So strange.

What did they have to say about owning slaves? I'm sure I can guess what they had to say about being slaves, but I'm just curious what they had to say about owning other people after they went through the same thing. Did they ever comment on it?

My family comment? Even if they did, it wouldnt matter.

The slaveowners are long dead, and slaves are too.

My mom thinks it was a strange paradox, but other than that, there isnt much talk about it in my family. Thats the great thing about mi familia; we like to keep things bottled up inside, and stick to ourselves.

It probably wouldn't have changed much on the overall situation in Africa, mainly because slaves came almost exclusively for the same coast of Western Africa (as I said above), which represent less than a tenth of the size of Africa. Wouldn't have affected countries like Congo, Kenya, Ethiopia, Sudan, Zambia, South-Africa, or most other big African countries.

Yes, but didn't England once rule the world? A tiny country, ruling over millions and millions of people from all over the world. Who's to say WHAT would have happened?

I don't know...I just feel affected. lol A little redundant.

"...but he will always stand for what's right instead of the victim mentality."
what's right or what a poster WANTS to think is RIGHT because of his own interests?
victim mentality? so the glass ceiling is a sham, is that it? despite countless papers on the subject? not to mention the "old money" factor in favor of the slave owners' descendants...

"Do you think he's the only black American who opposes reparations?"
i don't care if two-million african-americans oppose it.
but they wouldn't, because they know their experiences better than anyone else could ever pretend to.

"Besides, Larry Elder never captured other Africans and enslaved them, so what's your point?"
what good would explaining the comment do, when (depressingly obvious) the comment itself wasn't understood? still the same person writing it...

"The slaveowners are long dead, and slaves are too."
but the long-held discrimination/bigotry/insensitivity that made it all possible is still here, alive and unwell... especially exemplified from looking at the responses within this thread :(

budd said:
"The slaveowners are long dead, and slaves are too."
but the long-held discrimination/bigotry/insensitivity that made it all possible is still here, alive and unwell... especially exemplified from looking at the responses within this thread :(

I hope you understand I was referring to my ancestry; not slaveowners and slaves in general.

This thread has been viewed 43603 times.

Back