Southern Illyrians & Mycenean Greeks on a PCA plot

Dushman: Hmmm for me specifically!, My Sicilian genes are starting to shout "Danger Mr. Robinson", a tribute to the 1965 to 1968 TV American sort of cult classic "Lost n Space". Ok, more serious note, I get a reasonable distance to the first Gheg sample (SW shifted one) not as close to the NW shifted one. Not that surprising. On another note, the term "gege" was one I heard as a kid. Some Americans of Sicilian ancestry where I live as I remember my Grandmother (my Fathers Mother) saying would sometimes speak in Sicilian with words that she would say are "gege" and harder for her to understand. I kid you not. On the other hand, as I have noted here, my Maternal Grandmothers Father (My Great Grandfather) was from an area in Sicily (Pallazo Adriano) near Contessa Entellina where large numbers of Albanian/Abereshe settled. I know for a fact he was a Byzantine Eastern Rite Catholic (not Eastern Orthodox) in communion with Rome. There was a study in 2014 by Sarno et al entitled "Shared language, diverging genetic histories: high resolution analysis of Y-chromosome variability in Calabrian and Sicilian Arbereshe" which was an interesting read. If you haven't read the paper, you might want to take a look at it. From what I remember, the Contessa Entellina group clustered close with Greeks from the Peloponnesian islands. Now with all that said, please note I in no way want to get into the Greek and Albanian feuds I sometimes see around here. I like getting along with both of you guys.

Cheers, PT

Distance to:PalermoTrapani_ANCESTRY
9.48427646AlbanianGheg
16.75821888AlbanianGheg2
I assumed you’d be closer to the first Gheg based on the averages that the Anthrogenica member ph2ter has. Credit to ph2ter for the pca below. The Gheg is Alb_North18.
22A8D030-EDDC-45E5-9E8F-CE2F3A4172B8.jpg

I read the Albanians are often referred to as Gege as well. Nowadays it simply means Northern Albanian and it seems it has lost its original meaning. Before it could have meant simply highlander and it also seems it was limited to the Southern half of North Albanians.

In my area and above the elderly used to say that we’re Malesor/Malcuer/Malcor/Malcuor and Gheg were those South of river Drin. In the same time Gheg is also recorded in Central Serbia where locals called highlanders by such names.

The funny thing is that most Albanians in Sicily were from areas that we call today Tosk but back then Tosk seems to have meant simply lowlander (people working on arable land) so it’s not strange that 600 years ago those Arbereshe didn’t identify as Tosk. Another possibility is that Sicilians borrowed it as a derogatory term from the Arbereshe themselves who used it against fellow North Albanians whose speech/accent is harsher as we know it’s the case today. I personally find it hard to chat with Southerners as I have to say the same sentence in 2-3 simplified versions sometimes and it ruins the flow of the conversation for me, some jokes are simply wasted and so on. Lol.

As for the Arbereshe clustering closer to Peloponnese, that’s obvious and expected. They’ve been living there for hundreds of years and Central Greeks and Peloponnesians are on top of it Balkan shifted too. I’m actually surprised they still do overlap with many Southern Albanians after so many centuries living separated.

The Peloponnesians should be pretty close to the IA Illyrians too but I don’t have any samples yet. Most Greeks I match with in Gedmatch are even more North-Eastern shifted than me so definitely they’re Northern Greeks.

Illyrians decendants are albanians.
We know this because J-L283 is concentrated in the west balkans (croatia), italy and sardinia from ancient samples. With a disproportionate modern samples being albanians
Theres no Ancient samples prior to the collapse of western rome in slavic territories, poland, ukraine, russia or even germany/ france. Nor spain.

So what this means is that Albanian J-L283 migrated across the black sea by ship and from the caucus. The slavic migration displaced previous J-L283 on the eastern side of the balkans if there was any.
This may explain the illyrian tradition of being sailors.

I assumed you’d be closer to the first Gheg based on the averages that the Anthrogenica member ph2ter has. Credit to ph2ter for the pca below. The Gheg is Alb_North18.
View attachment 13399

I read the Albanians are often referred to as Gege as well. Nowadays it simply means Northern Albanian and it seems it has lost its original meaning. Before it could have meant simply highlander and it also seems it was limited to the Southern half of North Albanians.

In my area and above the elderly used to say that we’re Malesor/Malcuer/Malcor/Malcuor and Gheg were those South of river Drin. In the same time Gheg is also recorded in Central Serbia where locals called highlanders by such names.

The funny thing is that most Albanians in Sicily were from areas that we call today Tosk but back then Tosk seems to have meant simply lowlander (people working on arable land) so it’s not strange that 600 years ago those Arbereshe didn’t identify as Tosk. Another possibility is that Sicilians borrowed it as a derogatory term from the Arbereshe themselves who used it against fellow North Albanians whose speech/accent is harsher as we know it’s the case today. I personally find it hard to chat with Southerners as I have to say the same sentence in 2-3 simplified versions sometimes and it ruins the flow of the conversation for me, some jokes are simply wasted and so on. Lol.

As for the Arbereshe clustering closer to Peloponnese, that’s obvious and expected. They’ve been living there for hundreds of years and Central Greeks and Peloponnesians are on top of it Balkan shifted too. I’m actually surprised they still do overlap with many Southern Albanians after so many centuries living separated.

The Peloponnesians should be pretty close to the IA Illyrians too but I don’t have any samples yet. Most Greeks I match with in Gedmatch are even more North-Eastern shifted than me so definitely they’re Northern Greeks.

I should clarify, Sarno et al 2014 found that the Abereshe from Contessa Entellina are similar to Greek/Peloponnesian. The other Sicilian Abereshe (Piana degli Albanesi) and the 3 Calabrian ones in Sarno et al 2014 are as you say closer to Tosk Albanians. From the paper, there are lots of E-V13 lineages in both Sicilian and Calabrian Abereshe, which I have noticed has been a long standing discussion topic in another forum.

Speaking of genetic diversity that we see, Illyrians were not so Mycenaean-like. So what does this mean about Dorians being a nearly identical population (does that still hold water?) that destroyed the Mycenaean civilization? Why weren't Classical Peloponnesians pulled north?
Who knows.

Wtf are you talking about? The southern ones overlap with Macedonians.

From the Greek study, we also saw the western mainlander Greeks didn't have much disparity (whether Mycenean, Macedonian, Epirote, etc...).

The #1 predictor of ancient DNA in that region has been geographical proximity. Northern Illyrians cluster more with Northern Italians, and southern Illyrians more with Northern Greeks.

Speaking of genetic diversity that we see, Illyrians were not so Mycenaean-like. So what does this mean about Dorians being a nearly identical population (does that still hold water?) that destroyed the Mycenaean civilization? Why weren't Classical Peloponnesians pulled north?
Who knows.

This is a good question. I think that Mycenaean(later known as helotes) are pulled north after Doric invasion/migration but not a lot.
Two factors should be considered here. 1 - what was the starting point of Doric tribes 2- it is well-known that helot population was a majority.

Sent from my iPhone using Eupedia Forum

This is a good question. I think that Mycenaean(later known as helotes) are pulled north after Doric invasion/migration but not a lot.
Two factors should be considered here. 1 - what was the starting point of Doric tribes 2- it is well-known that helot population was a majority.

Helotes were just a social class in Sparta, of which some might even have been Northern Greeks themselve. That's not to equate with ethnicity before the Bronze Age collapse.

But yes, Greeks should have been pulled North at least twice:
- Proto-Greek migration about 1.700-1.600 with MCW/Catacomb related groups from the Lower Danube probably.
- Northern Greeks, Sea Peoples and Urnfielders/G?va/Channelled Ware coming in before the collapse as migrants and during the collapse (about 1.200-1.100 BC) raiding and settling much of Greece.

After that the pull back towards West Asia soon started.

Southern Illyrians & Mycenean Greeks on a PCA plot

Helotes were just a social class in Sparta, of which some might even have been Northern Greeks themselve. That's not to equate with ethnicity before the Bronze Age collapse.

- Proto-Greek migration about 1.700-1.600 with MCW/Catacomb related groups from the Lower Danube probably.
- Northern Greeks, Sea Peoples and Urnfielders/Gáva/Channelled Ware coming in before the collapse as migrants and during the collapse (about 1.200-1.100 BC) raiding and settling much of Greece.

Have we seen samples from Sparta after Bronze Age collapse? They could provide some answers.

In relation with helots the debate “social class” vs “conquered Achaeans” remain open.

The situation seems less clear in the case of the earliest helots, who, according to Theopompus, were descended from the initial Achaeans, whom the Dorians had conquered. The ration between Helots and Spartans was 7:1. For each Spartan you will have 7 helots.

For Proto- Greek migration I am still no sure what was their point of the origin in the Balkans.

Have we seen samples from Sparta after Bronze Age collapse? They could provide some answers.

In relation with helots the debate “social class” vs “conquers Achaeans” remain open.

The situation seems less clear in the case of the earliest helots, who, according to Theopompus, were descended from the initial Achaeans, whom the Dorians had conquered. The ration between Helots and Spartans was 7:1. For each Spartan you will have 7 helots.

For Proto- Greek migration I am still no sure what was their point of the origin in the Balkans.

The Spartans subjugated Doric villages too, though. So they made Doric Greeks helots as well and didn't care what type of ancestry they had exactly. That's the point I was making. For them it was not about Doric Greeks vs. others, but Spartans vs. everybody else.

Before talking confidently about auDNA divisions and nomenclatures, is what we’re calling Mycenaean different from let’s say “Minoan”? I haven’t checked myself so just wondering.

Which samples do we have from Epirus that overlap with Mycenaean? Same goes for the Macedonian samples since they’re extremely diverse, from Illyrian-like, possibly Dacian/Carpathian-like, and Aegean-like. So we don’t know which one of those is the fore-bearer of the Makedonian identity.

The Illyrian-like could have been the Makedonians whereas the Aegean-like were either locals or later colonizers/city dwellers. Or vice-versa and the Illyrian-like ones were simply Illyrian/Paeonian/Dardanian/whatever immigrants that were absorbed by the Makedonians.

Not only we need more samples but also the help of archaeology to help us with the interpretation of grave goods, social classes, burials, etc. to understand who’re the ruling class and who’re not. It doesn’t mean we’ll get a clear-cut answer but there could be hints considering the heterogeneity we’ve seen so far. Unless the recent leaks included into IA Macedonia samples from modern North Macedonia which could have skewed the results.

Interesting anecdote PalermoTrapani thanks for sharing.
Regarding the feuds, I would say its a mainly mainstream political one. Most informed Greek and Albanian members on Anthrofora I think got the memo that more than anything genetically we are cousin populations, especially autosomally speaking, but not only. This I think can be noticed from the lower amount of friction on anthrofora between members of such nationality as we got more and more papers and aDNA(Lazaridis Minoan Mycenean breaking the most ice, but also on community wide PCAs Albanians and mainland Greeks overlap so much, that only community wide outliers could be distinguished if unlabeled, otherwise even trained eyes would have a tough time telling who is who.

Angela, I think it is interesting when one looks back at the paper stating Italians share as much identity by common descent with Albanians as with each other. I think that more than anything testifies to shared historical waves of genes/ meta movements of people, and not only 2d PCA artifacts.
I think the upcoming BA/IA/MA Albanian samples will clarify everything, relating to what is a relic and what is not. At least the last 1500 years the bottleneck is peculiarly strong, compared to all other European pops, highest shared ICD.

I take it you mean Ralph and Coop et al

"The highest levels of IBD sharing are found in the Albanian-speaking individuals (from Albania and Kosovo), an increase in common ancestry deriving from the last 1,500 years. This suggests that a reasonable proportion of the ancestors of modern-day Albanian speakers (at least those represented in POPRES) are drawn from a relatively small, cohesive population that has persisted for at least the last 1,500 years. These individuals share similar but slightly higher numbers of common ancestors with nearby populations than do individuals in other parts of Europe (see Figure S3), implying that these Albanian speakers have not been a particularly isolated population so much as a small one. Furthermore, our Greek and Macedonian samples share much higher numbers of common ancestors with Albanian speakers than with other neighbors, possibly a result of historical migrations, or else perhaps smaller effects of the Slavic expansion in these populations. It is also interesting to note that the sampled Italians share nearly as much IBD with Albanian speakers as with each other. The Albanian language is a Indo-European language without other close relatives [53] that persisted through periods when neighboring languages were strongly influenced by Latin or Greek, suggesting an intriguing link between linguistic and genealogical history in this case."

The thing is, though, that,

"In addition to the very few genetic common ancestors that Italians share both with each other and with other Europeans, we have seen significant modern substructure within Italy (i.e., Figure 2) that predates most of this common ancestry, and estimate that most of the common ancestry shared between Italy and other populations is older than about 2,300 years (Figure S16). Also recall that most populations show no substructure with regards to the number of blocks shared with Italians, implying that the common ancestors other populations share with Italy predate divisions within these other populations. This suggests significant old substructure and large population sizes within Italy, strong enough that different groups within Italy share as little recent common ancestry as other distinct, modern-day countries, substructure that was not homogenized during the migration period. These patterns could also reflect in part geographic isolation within Italy as well as a long history of settlement of Italy from diverse sources.

That said, it's true that:

"There is relatively little common ancestry shared between the Italian peninsula and other locations, and what there is seems to derive mostly from longer ago than 2,500 ya. An exception is that Italy and the neighboring Balkan populations share small but significant numbers of common ancestors in the last 1,500 years"

Albania is not singled out.

I think the following material from Ralph and Coop are significant for all peoples from the Balkans.

rURn6Ki.png

ied7x93.png

"Most people seem to have forgotten Ralph and Coop, whereas given it's based on IBD analysis, i.e. actual alleles shared, it should always be consulted. Given the age of the paper, it's amazing how prescient they were about things we've since discovered.

Before talking confidently about auDNA divisions and nomenclatures, is what we’re calling Mycenaean different from let’s say “Minoan”? I haven’t checked myself so just wondering.

Which samples do we have from Epirus that overlap with Mycenaean? Same goes for the Macedonian samples since they’re extremely diverse, from Illyrian-like, possibly Dacian/Carpathian-like, and Aegean-like. So we don’t know which one of those is the fore-bearer of the Makedonian identity.

The Illyrian-like could have been the Makedonians whereas the Aegean-like were either locals or later colonizers/city dwellers. Or vice-versa and the Illyrian-like ones were simply Illyrian/Paeonian/Dardanian/whatever immigrants that were absorbed by the Makedonians.

Not only we need more samples but also the help of archaeology to help us with the interpretation of grave goods, social classes, burials, etc. to understand who’re the ruling class and who’re not. It doesn’t mean we’ll get a clear-cut answer but there could be hints considering the heterogeneity we’ve seen so far. Unless the recent leaks included into IA Macedonia samples from modern North Macedonia which could have skewed the results.

more accurate is Thracian/Paeonian/Dardanian ....................

This group came via Phrygian from western Asia-Minor
or
Dacia ( Romania ) before Dacia accepted its Latin based Language ..................find out what these ancient Dacian spoke prior to it changing to a Latin based language and you should find your answer

more accurate is Thracian/Paeonian/Dardanian ....................

This group came via Phrygian from western Asia-Minor
or
Dacia ( Romania ) before Dacia accepted its Latin based Language ..................find out what these ancient Dacian spoke prior to it changing to a Latin based language and you should find your answer

It is the oposite,
Brygian left Makedonia and moved to Asia minor

- Northern Greeks, Sea Peoples and Urnfielders/G�va/Channelled Ware coming in before the collapse as migrants and during the collapse (about 1.200-1.100 BC) raiding and settling much of Greece.

It is much older, It is around 2500 BC and starts from Vucedol

It is the oposite,
Brygian left Makedonia and moved to Asia minor

I concur that, both the Brygi and Thracians expanded to Anatolia, creating groups like the Phrygians, the Thyni and Bithyni. What's however possible is backflow. Because we know form many instances that contacts were kept alive for quite some time after the migration, causing backmigration of mixed people. Like e.g. for Germanics, Slavs and Vikings.

Well, we've discussed some of the examples of the "throw backs" physically in the heights of the Appennines in my father's villages, but appearance and autosomal percentages of admixtures are two different things.

I don't have access to enough genomes from people who come from those heights to know if he was correct, but Cavalli-Sforza was convinced that the people in the heights were people from the plains who fled the restrictive feudal laws there, and once arrived there was drift in terms of certain alleles, but he thought they were still the same people.

That said, Italians are quite varied by province and even within provinces. The people in Northern Apulia are more Abruzzese like and quite a bit different from people from the Salento. Political boundaries mean little. The samples named Piemonte were taken from an area in the Ligurian Alps where the people speak a Ligurian dialect, and the towns all have Ligure in the names. I would bet a great deal they're quite different from the Piemontesi further west.

People place too much emphasis on where people plot on a 2D space. People can plot near one another without being wholly descended from the same groups. Another example are the Ashkenazim and some Greeks and Southern Italians.

I know it's anathema to some Albanians, but on a PCA and in Admixture they look more like Greeks with more Slavic, ie. on the Balkan cline, not the Italian one. Not saying that's how they were formed, of course. That's a different issue altogether.

So, generalizations about "Italians" or "Italian like" are bound to usually be wrong.

Agree. It was just one of my "generalistic" reasonings remarks, and I spoke of ancient Italy; I didn't speak of the mountains effects on valleys vs highlands (there is somone, even if weak), but of their effects on whole Italy and the circulation in it.

Well, we've discussed some of the examples of the "throw backs" physically in the heights of the Appennines in my father's villages, but appearance and autosomal percentages of admixtures are two different things.

I don't have access to enough genomes from people who come from those heights to know if he was correct, but Cavalli-Sforza was convinced that the people in the heights were people from the plains who fled the restrictive feudal laws there, and once arrived there was drift in terms of certain alleles, but he thought they were still the same people.

That said, Italians are quite varied by province and even within provinces. The people in Northern Apulia are more Abruzzese like and quite a bit different from people from the Salento. Political boundaries mean little. The samples named Piemonte were taken from an area in the Ligurian Alps where the people speak a Ligurian dialect, and the towns all have Ligure in the names. I would bet a great deal they're quite different from the Piemontesi further west.

People place too much emphasis on where people plot on a 2D space. People can plot near one another without being wholly descended from the same groups. Another example are the Ashkenazim and some Greeks and Southern Italians.

I know it's anathema to some Albanians, but on a PCA and in Admixture they look more like Greeks with more Slavic, ie. on the Balkan cline, not the Italian one. Not saying that's how they were formed, of course. That's a different issue altogether.

So, generalizations about "Italians" or "Italian like" are bound to usually be wrong.

Agree. It was just one of my "generalistic" reasonings remarks. I was not speaking of the effects of mountains on highlands vs plains, but of the general effect of mountains on circulation as a whole, in ancient Balkans (valuable for ancient Italy). I agree that from a relatively homogenous mixed pop can be born by some geographic barriers some striking differences that concern only a little part of the genome of the "children" subregional pop's. Nothing new.

For you specifically I got this Albanian interesting sample to compare. :)

AlbanianGheg,6.07,0.93,3.22,0,29.64,20.1,0,0,6.5,0,33.54,0

The South-Westernmost shifted Albanian coordinates I've ever seen, followed by this sample as the most North-Western shifted:

AlbanianGheg2,

The (Dodecad K12b) distance of my Greek friend and his paternal grandmother from your samples

Distance to:Chris
5.11605317AlbanianGheg
12.24463148Dukagjin
12.69021276Dukagjin2
14.78278729AlbanianGheg2

Distance to:Chris_Paternal_Grandma
5.13259194AlbanianGheg
8.33935249Dukagjin2
8.36463388Dukagjin
11.34405130AlbanianGheg2

I would like to focus more on his grandmother though...as I have written on her thread she is from Elis, from the easternmost area which historically received many migrants from the nearby westernmost part of Arcadia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gortynia). While I don't know much about the migratory history of that part of Arcadia from the middle ages onwards, I know that at least at some point in time there were some Arvanite settlements established there (mentioned on the first surviving Ottoman defter of the area, I think).
This is her coords to compare and contrast if there is anything useful/interesting to be extracted.
Code:
Chris_paternal_grandmother_(Elis_Greece)_DODECAD_K12b,4.7,0,4.57,1.22,30.31,18.59,0,0,9.73,0,30.87,0
Code:
Chris_paternal_grandmother_(Elis_Greece)_EUROGENES_K13,22.69,9.72,22.79,9.8,27.71,5.11,0,0.44,0,0,0.43,0,1.3

( Her raw data comes from Myheritage, surely of poor coverage compared to other tests but how much different could her results really be, my friend's were VERY similar between his Myheritage and WGS tests )

Interesting anecdote PalermoTrapani thanks for sharing.
Regarding the feuds, I would say its a mainly mainstream political one. Most informed Greek and Albanian members on Anthrofora I think got the memo that more than anything genetically we are cousin populations, especially autosomally speaking, but not only. This I think can be noticed from the lower amount of friction on anthrofora between members of such nationality as we got more and more papers and aDNA(Lazaridis Minoan Mycenean breaking the most ice, but also on community wide PCAs Albanians and mainland Greeks overlap so much, that only community wide outliers could be distinguished if unlabeled, otherwise even trained eyes would have a tough time telling who is who.

Angela, I think it is interesting when one looks back at the paper stating Italians share as much identity by common descent with Albanians as with each other. I think that more than anything testifies to shared historical waves of genes/ meta movements of people, and not only 2d PCA artifacts.
I think the upcoming BA/IA/MA Albanian samples will clarify everything, relating to what is a relic and what is not. At least the last 1500 years the bottleneck is peculiarly strong, compared to all other European pops, highest shared ICD.

How many samples are coming from each time period for Albania?? From what I can tell with some infographics, there are only 2 medieval Albanian samples, both of which post-date the Slavic migrations. One of which is from Kukes, and the other from Kolonja(if I am not mistaken). I hope there is more than 2. The same infographic only had 2 samples from Medieval North Macedonia as well.

View attachment 13399

Yea, my mother and father told me not long ago that Gheg used to be specific to a certain section of Northern Albanians, with Malesor being applied to the North-Western areas of Albania. Later on it became just Gheg and Tosk, but originally there were apparently 3 divisions.

As for clustering, I tend to get Peloponesians as well. Though, I am not sure how I cluster. I should be on Ph2ter PCA as well but I don't have it(banned from anthro lol).

How many samples are coming from each time period for Albania?? From what I can tell with some infographics, there are only 2 medieval Albanian samples, both of which post-date the Slavic migrations. One of which is from Kukes, and the other from Kolonja(if I am not mistaken). I hope there is more than 2. The same infographic only had 2 samples from Medieval North Macedonia as well.

Yeah, we need much more from pre-medieval times to medieval times everywhere since there was so much movement of populations.

This thread has been viewed 74293 times.

Back