Sulawesi cave art.

hope

Elite member
Reaction score
Scientists have identified some of the earliest cave art. The cave art is from the Indonesian Island of Sulawesi, and is said to be as old and as complex as the cave art we know from Europe. It had been discovered in the 1950s and initially dismissed as younger, new dating has changed the view since. Here is a BBC report and it has a very nice interactive video along with reports from the team involved.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-29415716

Here is the piece as reported by The Guardian.
http://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/oct/08/cave-art-indonesia-sulawesi

seems contemporary with Aurignacian
Aurignancian-like tools were found since 45000 years ago near Tashkent and Siberia too, but as far as I know, no art found there yet

seems contemporary with Aurignacian
Aurignancian-like tools were found since 45000 years ago near Tashkent and Siberia too, but as far as I know, no art found there yet
Not that I know of at any rate, bicicleur.
Regarding this find at Sulawesi, there seems to be two ideas being floated. One that this practice happened independently at around the same time across the spatial distribution of early humans, or that it was a practice within Africa and came along with humans as they spread out from there to Eurasia. At any rate it is as old or maybe just a little older than the cave art we know from Spain and France. The hand stencils it seems are being classed as the oldest yet found.
Just a thought, if it did come along with humans from Africa, and the majority of the cave art we know is set pretty far into the caves, and the hand printing from Sulawesi is very similar to that we know from here, I wonder if it had any spiritual reference, and was this belief also carried along? Different question, perhaps for a different thread..

cave art is always dificult to date
if I'm correct European cave art is know dated to the last ice age, some 20.000 years ago
here they are positive for the age to be about 40.000 years or maybe more
there were other objects in Europe .. flutes dated 35000 years old and the 'Löwnemensch' 32000 years old

cave art is always dificult to date
if I'm correct European cave art is know dated to the last ice age, some 20.000 years ago
here they are positive for the age to be about 40.000 years or maybe more
there were other objects in Europe .. flutes dated 35000 years old and the 'Löwnemensch' 32000 years old
The figurative art from Chauvet cave, France is dated 30-32,000 years old.
The non-figurative art from El Castillo cave, Spain is dated 40,000 years old. However there is a disc and red dot that I believe they have dated 40,800 years old.
Yes, regarding the flutes. They found some beautiful ones from Germany, and as if by magic..here is a link. It`s only a BBC report that I had in my bookmarks, but still it is something. They come in at around 42-43,000 years old.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-18196349

if it did come along with humans from Africa, and the majority of the cave art we know is set pretty far into the caves, and the hand printing from Sulawesi is very similar to that we know from here, I wonder if it had any spiritual reference, and was this belief also carried along?
I think it is a valid explanation.
These hands of people who lived 40 kya make almost magical impression on us, modern people. They had much bigger impact on contemporaries who could remember people who left their handprints but were already gone. True spiritual dimension.

The figurative art from Chauvet cave, France is dated 30-32,000 years old.
The non-figurative art from El Castillo cave, Spain is dated 40,000 years old. However there is a disc and red dot that I believe they have dated 40,800 years old.
Yes, regarding the flutes. They found some beautiful ones from Germany, and as if by magic..here is a link. It`s only a BBC report that I had in my bookmarks, but still it is something. They come in at around 42-43,000 years old.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-18196349

ok, I see Chauvet & El Castillo.
so many cave paintings were redated, I tougth they all were redated to the ice age, 20.000 years ago, but not so

IMO there were 3 waves conquering Eurasia
1st haplo D, coastal gatherers, shellfisch
2nd haplo C, flake tools similar to Neanderthal tools and often confused with them
3rd haplo F + descendants , flake tools + 1st blade tools, but also art
these were the 1st humans that are master over other animals in nature, but also master over other humanoids
as a consequence, Neanderthals went extinct in Europe 40.000 years ago

This thread has been viewed 5249 times.

Back