Tell me about New York.

?g???????

Big city - too tired
Reaction score
I am off to Miami Florida in May for a friend's wedding. I will fly out from Tokyo to New York, stay there 2 days and pass through to Florida. I will be very tied up in Miami ( the wedding is in Disneyworld ). Should be interesting.

Anyway, I want to absorb everything I can in New York whilst I'm there.
Where should I go? What should I see?

I would like to see some of the major sights around New York but not necessarily take part in them.
I would like to see a baseball game for the sake of doing it in America.
I enjoy History Science, Cars, Big building type things.
Get a hotdog in Central park. Anything fun I can do for 2 days.

What are some good museums?

Any input would be gratefully appreciated.

Cheers

Are you kidding?! There are so many places to go and things to see there, and you will be frustrated not having enough time to see everything.
For museums I strongly recommend these ones,
Metropolitan-this one is a must if you are going to any museums in NY.
Moma
Museum of Natural History
Guggenheim
They might be crowded, but it's definitely worth it.

Last edited:
I agree with misa. j. There is so much to do in New York City! The museum suggestions misa. j gave you are great.

You should definitely try to go to a Yankees or Mets game if you have the chance.

And if it is open, go see the Statue of Liberty, though I don't know the status of it now. And absolutely go to the Empire State Building! And check out Madison Sqaure Garden if you can.

If you like Jazz music, there are tons of clubs. The Village Vanguard is always happening, as is Seventh Avenue South, which I think is still open.
And get the Village Voice newspaper! It has everything happening that is worthwhile!

A few things though.

New York is very unlike Tokyo in terms of safety. If you go out, don't go out alone at night and walk around alone. Especially since you are not from there and don't know the city. Every city has its dangerous areas, but New York can be quite dangerous. It goes without saying that you should never go in Central Park alone, especially at night.

And watch your purse! Especially on the subway and on buses. I have heard that security is now very high all over New York, but you must be very careful. And don't leave any money or valuables in your hotel room if you will be staying in a hotel. Put it in a safe at the front desk or simply take it with you.

I knew of someone who was from Japan and she had over $3,000 stolen from her in a hotel room in Philadelphia; probably taken by a maid.

I think you should be fine though. If you are with someone from there and they know New York, it should be fine. If not, just be careful and enjoy yourself!

Thanks for the input guys! I really appreciate it. Is there anything more to the statue of liberty than to just go to the top and look? Trump towers? How's that for an attraction?
I'll be sure to check out those museums.

Oh and just for the record, I don't carry a purse. I'm a guy.

?g??????? said:
Thanks for the input guys! I really appreciate it. Is there anything more to the statue of liberty than to just go to the top and look? Trump towers? How's that for an attraction?
I'll be sure to check out those museums.
I have not been there. I am sure it would be neat to check out.
One thing that would make it very difficult for me to go back to New York is not seeing the World Trade Center there anymore. :mad: :sick: :(

?g??????? said:
Oh and just for the record, I don't carry a purse. I'm a guy.

SORRY! :gomen: I was not paying attention and should have checked your profile. For some reason, I was thinking of that Philadelphia incident I mentioned.

Keep an eye on everything anyway, wallet, packages, anything.

haha, no worries mate. So New York isn't the safest place to be at night.
I just hope I don't waste any time, this may be my only chance to go to America for quite a while. I'm going to do my homework.

Sorry to go offtopic here, but this looks like the "animal avatars thread."

Just to put in something somewhat worthwhile since I jumped in with that AND bucked the trend, when I was in New York (although it was only for a day) I really enjoyed walking around Times Square at night. I guess that just says that I like bright lights. :sick::giggle:Unfortunately I wasn't able to do too much in such a short period of time, but I did at least get to see the Statue of Liberty, which was cool, even if it was from the Staten Island Ferry. :relief:

By the way, when are you going to be there? You may be too early for a baseball game if you go before April. You may be able to catch a Rangers or Knicks game though.

Glenn said:
Sorry to go offtopic here, but this looks like the "animal avatars thread."
I didn't even notice that. Yeah, those are great mammals.
Glenn said:
I really enjoyed walking around Times Square at night.
I stayed at a hotel 2 blocks away from there for a month. It sure was bright even after midnight. That area is very convenient with many subway stations around.
I loved taking the subways and walking around the city.

To original poster,
Another thing you might enjoy is being on top of Empire State Building. You can see the whole city including the tiny yellow cabs on the streets from there.

This thread has been viewed 475 times.

Back