the spread of religions, animated video

That's quite accurate, although it doesn't include some "religions": Lao and Confucianism, for example.

I think that Confucianism, in particular, isn't regarded as a religion at all: it's a set of precepts or moral codes, sort of like an East Asian brand of Stoicsim. Lao is very mystical, but again, not a religion. I read them both at university, and respect both, but I was never drawn to either. The same goes for Hinduism, although I find it very interesting. On a "populist" level, there are many gods, stories etc., but if you read more in depth, it becomes very "unitary spirit" centered.

My perhaps superficial impression is that if a leaning toward religion indeed has a genetic component, East Asians have very little of it, and South Asians have a lot of it, even though there's a phenomenon in America of a very "born again" type of Korean Christianity which I don't totally understand. There are a lot of Korean churches affiliated with the more conservative brands of Christianity. In fact, if someone wants to find that, they're practically the only option until you get out of the metropolitan area. Well, that's not quite true; there's a lot of traditionally "black" churches, and there's the phenomenon of the God centered drug recovery groups who often have their own churches. There is the occasional "Born Again" group as well.

I think that "leaning" actually has very little to do with "laws" and "moral precepts" and more of a mystical sense that there is an "other", dimly sensed, but present.

My perhaps superficial impression is that if a leaning toward religion indeed has a genetic component, East Asians have very little of it, and South Asians have a lot of it, even though there's a phenomenon in America of a very "born again" type of Korean Christianity which I don't totally understand. There are a lot of Korean churches affiliated with the more conservative brands of Christianity. In fact, if someone wants to find that, they're practically the only option until you get out of the metropolitan area. Well, that's not quite true; there's a lot of traditionally "black" churches, and there's the phenomenon of the God centered drug recovery groups who often have their own churches. There is the occasional "Born Again" group as well.
Many people in sports are god centered too. It becomes very common for footballers (soccer) or Boxers, and many others to thank god first when they score and win. Competition in sports is huge and they ask for all the help, god's included, through their career to get to the top. Once on the top they tend to recognize their success as god's will and help.

Many people in sports are god centered too. It becomes very common for footballers (soccer) or Boxers, and many others to thank god first when they score and win. Competition in sports is huge and they ask for all the help, god's included, through their career to get to the top. Once on the top they tend to recognize their success as god's will and help.
In fact, if someone wants to find that, they're practically the only option until you get out of the metropolitan area. Well, that's not quite true; there's a lot of traditionally "black" churches, and there's the phenomenon of the God centered drug recovery groups who often have their own churches. There is the occasional "Born Again" group as well.
I think that human psyche is stronger when had some imaginary friend who help him in difficult situation,or to achieve something.
In this situation god,therefore one thinks that he can succeed with his help and his own will.

I think that human psyche is stronger when had some imaginary friend who help him in difficult situation,or to achieve something.
Absolutely yes, it increases self esteem, self worth, and boost of confidence. Very essential and helpful components of human psyche especially in times of struggle, emotional distress and fight. As important to sportsmen or drug addicts as it was for humankind till pretty much modern times of plenty and easy life. One of aspects explaining spirituality as evolutionary advantage. Therefore engraved in our DNA.

An important part of AA, or Alcoholics Anonymous, is an acceptance of the fact that there's a "higher power", and that this higher power can help you to overcome the addiction.
[h=2]"Higher Power in the 12 Steps[/h][FONT=&quot]God or higher power is mentioned in 6 of the 12 steps. These terms are used interchangeably. The idea of ahigher power is the key element of the program, as seen in the following steps:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]* Step 2 – We came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
* Step 3- We made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.
* Step 5- We admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.
* Step 6-_We were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character._
* Step 7- We humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.
* Step 11 – We sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out."[/FONT]

I don't know if it's the case anymore, but the highest success rate for recovery used to come from these sorts of groups.

There's also, as I said, a lot of drug recovery groups focused on seeking help from God to beat addiction.

many soccer players are supersticious and follow certain rituals

the result of a soccer game is very unpredictable
whether you'll play a good match or not depends a lot on what is going on in your mind

they won't ask for God to stop a war or famine or something else
the only thing they ask is succes for themselves
and maybe they thank God for being so talented

the video shows only the 5 top religions
it would have been nice to see some religions that are now (almost) extinct like Zoroastrian

There's also, as I said, a lot of drug recovery groups focused on seeking help from God to beat addiction.

......unless they start delving into so god related texts and get very funny ideas :(

many soccer players are supersticious and follow certain rituals

the result of a soccer game is very unpredictable
whether you'll play a good match or not depends a lot on what is going on in your mind

they won't ask for God to stop a war or famine or something else
the only thing they ask is succes for themselves

I think you're over-generalizing, and being a little unfair as well, Bicicleur. Do you know their private prayer habits? In America, a lot of players are very involved in charity work, and speak about their prayer lives rather movingly. Even if I don't share these sentiments anymore, it doesn't mean I don't honor their sincerity and the positive impact they've had on his life.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derek_Fisher

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hghtaTNZf3E

Eric Liddel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwyltmUR3MU

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Liddell

I do agree with you that it's ritualistic for a lot of people. Even rather non-religious players will make the sign of the cross before a difficult shot.

Firstly they need to get all religions Christianity, Islam, Judaism and the others to fall in line with national policy of gender equality.

How can a nation preach gender equality, when these antique religions lecture gender inequality.

These man made/written religious ideas need to be amended and rewritten to conform with 21st century ideas.

No wonder the world has these religious .v. nationalistic differences

They made it look like in Malaysia there are only Muslims which is not true, there are approximately 61 % Muslims in Malaysia, there are also Christians, Buddhist and Hinduism and Traditional Chinese Religion present in Malaysia.

Perhaps the map was a little stereotypical, honest mistake. if vid OP is seeing this, Is it okay if we can edit some stripes to places where 2 major religions are dominant?

This thread has been viewed 7703 times.

Back