Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
Expatica : Muslim teachers sacked for wearing headscarf

Expatica said:
wo Muslim teachers from the Brussels public education system have been sacked for wearing an Islamic headscarf.

The Muslim teachers were first issued a warning, but continued to wear their headscarves and were later sacked. They have lodged an appeal.

The director of the Brussels school group, Jacky Goris, said the dismissal was correct.

"In April 2005, the board of management of the Brussels school group decided that teachers, the same as students, were not allowed to wear noticeable religious symbols," she said.

It's incredible how it is always Muslims who find the need to breach rules or laws to assert their faith, while we never hear of other religious groups doing similar things. Is provocation one of the fundamental Muslim virtues ?

On a side note, even Zinedine Zidane, the leading football player of the French team at the World Cup final who managed to get a red card for head-butting an Italian player, is the son of an Maghreban immigrant. Talk about enhancing the reputation for peacefulness and good manners of the North African Muslims !

It is to my understanding that his opposite was not very pleasant with his phrases that induced Zizou to headbutt. I suppose, He was entraped.

Minty said:
It is to my understanding that his opposite was not very pleasant with his phrases that induced Zizou to headbutt. I suppose, He was entraped.

I think it's pretty common for football player to insult each others (provocation or just intimidation) on the field. He should have known better than react like this when the whole world was watching at the World Cup Final !

SlipperyFrog said:
are we talking about teachers and head scarves or football players?

EXACTLY!

I just hope that now this can be a clear example of how conversations are permitted to meander a little within a thread before "deletion occurs" because of what a mod may see as "off-topic." If it stays off topic for 4 or 5 posts, then deletion is justified or an "Off-topic" thread creation is justified. But, just touching on something off from the OP for a few posts is within the normal bounds of how conversations develop. My 2 cents.

This thread (and subforum) is about the (mis)adaptation of Muslim immigrants insied European society. My point is that they are typically those who we hear make problems : refusal to comply with school policies, laws, violence in the street, violence on the football field... There is a clear lack of understanding of European values from their part, even when they are 2nd or 3rd generation immigration born and raised in Europe.

Well, if there are no hats/caps allowed, I think that should go for Muslim girls too. Especially if they signed up at a catholic school, they should not be allowed to wear scarfs. It IS in my eyes a problem with integration, I don't see any problems with wearing headscarfs in public though :)

For me headscareves hould be banned...in many cases despite the headscarves a long garment follows for the body that hides the woman's shape. I see any such "coverings" of woman as imposed by a male-dominated society and it breaches the right of women to be equal. Headscarves are worn to conceal a woman so that temptation doesn't strike men...meaning let's conceal this sexual object so that men dont go crazy with hormones. Furthermore...is ok to cover up nothern african women but when a western woman walks by with a g-string and tight jeans they can holler all they want that them ?

Personally, I don't have a problem with headscarves (I work with several Muslim women who always wear them) and I don't see any reason why they shouldn't be allowed as part of a school uniform, as long as they are a colour that is the same as the school uniform.

I think it's reasonable for schools with a uniform to expect Muslim girls to wear it; the headscarf can be in addition to the regular uniform. IMO (I am not sure how Muslim women feel about this?) I think that they could simply wear long skirts, instead of a full-length garment, if they wished/needed to be covered?

(I say 'wished/needed' because I have some Muslim relatives, who are less strict about clothing, and are comfortable wearing short dresses/skirts even though they are practicing Muslims, so there is some element of choice in it.)

Duo said:
For me headscareves hould be banned...in many cases despite the headscarves a long garment follows for the body that hides the woman's shape. I see any such "coverings" of woman as imposed by a male-dominated society and it breaches the right of women to be equal.
There was a small number of young Muslim women/girls (aged around 16 or so) interviewed last year in my local paper (as this is a very 'multicultural' city with quite a lot of Muslims). They actually said that they liked wearing the long garment, and chose to wear it. They said that because they were then instantly recognisable to each other, it strengthened their feeling of belonging to a community with other Muslims. They also said that they felt empowered by being covered up, as it made them feel that men were not constantly eyeing them up or judging them on their looks.

Of course, I think it's unfair if a woman/girl is forced to wear the long garment, but some girls do actually want to wear it. Not that school uniform should just let people wear what they want (!), though; like I said, I think that could be dealt with just by allowing them to wear long skirts as part of the uniform, and the headdresses, if the girls did not want to be so 'exposed' and felt uncomfortable about it. :relief:

Kinsao said:
They actually said that they liked wearing the long garment, and chose to wear it. They said that because they were then instantly recognisable to each other, it strengthened their feeling of belonging to a community with other Muslims.

I think this is one of the main reason why the headscarves are seen as a sign of lack of integration in the host country. Muslims surveyed across Europe regularily replied that they identified themselves as Muslim first, not as British, French, Belgian, German or whatever. They clearly intend to recreate a "Muslim world" within Europe and not to adapt to European culture and values. Your example confirms that too.

It is not just a "lack" of integration of the Muslims in Europe, it is a real will not to integrate. Some of the strongest criticisim I have heard against Moroccans in Belgium is that they constantly do things to provoke and show that they do not want to behave like Belgians, do not want to respect Belgian laws or customs, and do not care about rules other than their own. If a school imposes a uniform or regulates haircut (as they often do in Japan), you'd expect all students to follow the rules or be expelled from the school. Why should Muslims be exempt to follow the rules ? Because of their religion ? Why not other religions ? Why not other beliefs than religious ones ? But who else complains and provokes as regularily and persistantly as the Mulsim community in Europe ?

I see maciano point.

In Italy there was a huge legal battle started by the Muslim community over the use of the crucifix in Italian classes, ended up by stating that Christianity (Catholicism) is the base of the Italian culture and the crucifix won’t be removed.

Another thing which is going against the Italian law is some strict Muslim women dresses, in Italy you cannot cover completely your face, you need to be recognisable. More than one muslim woman was fined for this.

This thread has been viewed 624 times.

Back