Underwater grave in mesolithic Sweden

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
See:
[h=1]"8000-year old underwater burial site reveals human skulls mounted on poles"[/h]
https://phys.org/news/2018-02-year-underwater-burial-site-reveals.html

Look at that skull! That doesn't look "Nordic" to me at all.

"People living during the Mesolithic were hunter-gatherers, the researchers note, which is why the burial site and its contents are so surprising. At the time of its use, the burial site would have been at a shallow lake bottom covered with tightly packed stones upon which the remains of humans had been laid. The remains were all skulls, save for one infant. The adult skulls (except one) were missing jawbones, and at least two of the skulls showed evidence of a stick thrust through the opening at the base through the top of the skull—normally associated with posting a skull to scare enemies. But hunter-gatherers were not known for posting skulls or engaging in gruesome funeral rituals. Instead, they were known for disposing of their dead in simple, respectful ways."

"
In another surprise, the team discovered that all of the adult skulls bore signs of trauma—each had been whacked in the head multiple times. But the trauma was inflicted differently depending on gender. The males were hit on top or near the front of the head, while the females were typically hit from behind. None of the wounds appeared life-threatening, however, though without the rest of the corpse, it was impossible to identify what had killed them."

I don't get it. Why whack them on the head like that if not to kill them?

See also:

Sara Gummesson et al. Keep your head high: skulls on stakes and cranial trauma in Mesolithic Sweden, Antiquity (2018)

https://www.cambridge.org/core/jour...ithic-sweden/39BD3070DCC745A9CBAB1DF52FEC2782

[FONT=&quot]"The socio-cultural behaviour of Scandinavian Mesolithic hunter-gatherers has been difficult to understand due to the dearth of sites thus far investigated. Recent excavations at Kanaljorden in Sweden, however, have revealed disarticulated human crania intentionally placed at the bottom of a former lake. The adult crania exhibited antemortem blunt force trauma patterns differentiated by sex that were probably the result of interpersonal violence; the remains of wooden stakes were recovered inside two crania, indicating that they had been mounted. Taphonomic factors suggest that the human bodies were manipulated prior to deposition. This unique site challenges our understanding of the handling of the dead during the European Mesolithic."

Did we miss this (Feb. 2018) or I just can't find the thread on here?

[/FONT]
8000yearoldu.jpg
[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

8-000-year-old-skull-discovered-mounted-on-a-pole-1239629.jpg

default-1518599692-cover-image.JPG

gruesome-mystery-8000-year-old-skulls-found-impaled-on-wooden-stakes.jpg

Maybe Moesan can tell us more about them.

mesolithic southern Scandinavia had very rich fishing grounds and was densely populated with a variety of tribes one living next to the other, and they were not friendly to one another, there was fierce competition over the resources

Those are some extreme cheek bones in the top photo. It seems somebody with that face structure would be very strange looking.

Those are some extreme cheek bones in the top photo. It seems somebody with that face structure would be very strange looking.

Pronounced cheekbones are a Saami thing. It is too early for Saami, but there was a proto-Saami population in northern Scandinavia. I don't know how it compared to SHG genetically. I have heard that the HG lifestyle required more chewing power than agriculture, but that sounds like an after the fact justification to me, I believe there are many HG populations with less pronounced cheekbones.

he doesn't look that special compared to other skulls of HG's in europe. they all had stronger cheek bones. one reason was probably because they had to jew with way stronger forces. the other one was definitly genetics. their whole body was stronger. those men and also the women were monsters compared to modern humans if we compare physical strength.

replica of a cro magnon skull from oberkassel, germany ca. 13.500 years old.

Pronounced cheekbones are a Saami thing. It is too early for Saami, but there was a proto-Saami population in northern Scandinavia. I don't know how it compared to SHG genetically. I have heard that the HG lifestyle required more chewing power than agriculture, but that sounds like an after the fact justification to me, I believe there are many HG populations with less pronounced cheekbones.

The populations today that have the most projecting zygomatic bones are the Inuit and related groups in Siberia. Their midfaces alegedly develop well into adulthood, and their large sinuses push the cheekbones outward as their facial bones grow. This allows for better heating of inhaled air, so that look might just be an adaptation to cold.

The populations today that have the most projecting zygomatic bones are the Inuit and related groups in Siberia. Their midfaces alegedly develop well into adulthood, and their large sinuses push the cheekbones outward as their facial bones grow. This allows for better heating of inhaled air, so that look might just be an adaptation to cold.[/QUOTE

Interesting. There have been several migrations from Siberia to Scandinavia There is a preprint on Biorxiv by Lamnidis showing that the population of Northeastern Scandinavia by 1500 BC was heavily admixed by a group similar to the ones found on the Taymyr penninsula today.

- ? projecting cheekbones ? : in what way ? let?s tell broad cheekbones of cheekbones projected (jutting) forwards, broad or not (but broad for the most) : the last way is typical of plainly evolved ?east-asians? as a whole, not of ?europoids? ; BTW, a lot of WESTERN HG?s had broad cheekbones but without a so strong projection forwards : ?cro-magnon? heirs, and other ?combe-capelle? and ?br?nnoid? ones, these last two ones which were overspanning and surely with not too far common ancestry (compared to human evolution) -
- the ?oberkassel? man I?ve in picture seems halfway between this skull and true ?cromagnon? descendants ; a crossing, I suppose ; the female associated with him and I saw on the net shows an even more ?cromagnonlike? skull profil, spite her face is not so broad, what is common among females compared to males of her group ? but her cheekbones are very narrower than ?capelloid? or ?br?nnoid? cheekbones, so kind of an ? harmonic ? narrowing ? ATW this two specimen look like the result of a (recent?) crossing between both phyla (?croma? and ?br?nn?), what could be confirmed by the magnified bones of the male ? the geographic place and the time are not opposed to this guess -
- the type of human as shown by the first skull provided by Angela was still very common in Mesolithic ; we saw Loschbour, and some skull profiles of other Scandinavian HG?s and they all show this shapes as a whole (a) very receding forehead b) strong broad cheekbones, but c) rather narrow under jaw ? a) & b) are not the case of well conserved ?croma? features) ? This skull evocates me some ?combe-capelle? skull ? as a whole this type as often orbits whose outside sides goes less downwards (downwards : rather a ?croma? tendancy) but individual traits exist in a groupes, by rare mutation or some crossings which occur always at the mergins, not completely eliminated by subsequent isolations or by minorization -
- so we are not obliged to look at very far regions of origin for these features at Mesolithic or Upper Paleolithic, not at all ! What does not exclude that this aspect among ?capelloids-br?nnoids? (since Gravettian?) has not a far origin in Central Asia or Central Eurasia around Caspian (my bet) when I think rather in direct Near-Eastern geographical origin for ?cromagnon? even if the farthest origin would be the same -
& : the naming ?cromagnon? and even ?cromagnoid? we see on some sites of the net for all the people of European Paleolithic is confusing : today people say : ?anatomically modern humans?
I don't exclude any intrusion of "eskimoid" or northasian people in Scandinavia but the features we see here and on other paleo-mesolithic people of Scandinavia and other places of Europe are the normal features (among them a projecting nose, what is not the case of 'mongoloid' types)- concerning Saami, they are far from typical 'east-asians' as a whole, and they knowed a specific strong drift and local selection upon a mixture, what makes them a bad model for ancient pops - just my thought of the moment -

BTW this pic's evocates me one I saw somewhere in past: is it the very scandinavian one?
I saw sometimes pictures with wrong labels posted here and there...

This thread has been viewed 5709 times.

Back