Was the RELIGIOUS FREEDOM invented by Hungarians in Europe?

Stears555

Reaction score
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_religion

Early laws and legal guarantees for religious freedom

In 1558 the Transylvanian Diet of Torda declared free practice of both the Catholic and Lutheran religions, but prohibited Calvinism. Ten years later, in 1568, the Diet extended the freedom to all religions, declaring that "It is not allowed to anybody to intimidate anybody with captivity or expelling for his religion". However it was more than a religious tolerance, it declared the equality of the religions. The emergence in social hierarchy wasn't depend on the religion of the person thus Transylvania had also Catholic and Protestant monarchs (Princes). The lack of state religion was unique for centuries in Europe. Therefore the Edict of Torda is considered by mostly Hungarian historians as the first legal guarantee of religious freedom in Christian Europe.

ACT OF RELIGIOUS TOLERANCE AND FREEDOM OF CONSCIENCE:

"His majesty, our Lord, in what manner he – together with his realm – legislated in the matter of religion at the previous Diets, in the same matter now, in this Diet, reaffirms that in every place the preachers shall preach and explain the Gospel each according to his understanding of it, and if the congregation like it, well. If not, no one shall compel them for their souls would not be satisfied, but they shall be permitted to keep a preacher whose teaching they approve. Therefore none of the superintendents or others shall abuse the preachers, no one shall be reviled for his religion by anyone, according to the previous statutes, and it is not permitted that anyone should threaten anyone else by imprisonment or by removal from his post for his teaching. For faith is the gift of God and this comes from hearing, which hearings is by the word of God."

— Diet at Torda, 1568 : King John Sigismund[27]

Was the RELIGIOUS FREEDOM invented by Hungarians in Europe.......

We see what it is...
Is this it...would you argue this comes even near it?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Jews_in_Hungary

Hungary was the first country in continental Europe, where Jews were allowed to learn in universities, and Hungary created the first Jewish Emancipation law in continental Europe.

Do you concentrate in the Ottoman wars? Jews were allies of Muslims and Ottomans during the Ottoman Hungarian wars. In 1919 They supported the Károlyi government, Károlyi ordered the full disarmament of the Hungarian Army. Hungary remained without national defence in the darkest hour of its history. Surrounding countries started to arm. On 5 November 1918 the Serbian Army, with French involvement, attacked southern parts of the country. On 8 November the Czechoslovak Army attacked northern parts of Hungary, and on 2 December the Romanian Army started to attack the eastern (Transylvanian) parts of Hungary. It caused Treaty of Trianon where Hungary lost 72% of its traditional territory, and 1/3 of ethnic Hungarian population came under foreign rule.

In 1919 Jews estabilished a short lived communist Kun goverment, when many christian priests were killed, leading intellectuals (Members of Hungarian Academy od Sciences had to left the country due to persecution. Read about red terror. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Terror

In 1948, they estabilshed the infamous communist terror secret police: The so-called ÁVH

Hungary was the first country in continental Europe, where Jews were allowed to learn in universities, and Hungary created the first Jewish Emancipation law in continental Europe.

Do you concentrate in the Ottoman wars? Jews were allies of Muslims and Ottomans during the Ottoman Hungarian wars. In 1919 They supported the Károlyi government, Károlyi ordered the full disarmament of the Hungarian Army. Hungary remained without national defence in the darkest hour of its history. Surrounding countries started to arm. On 5 November 1918 the Serbian Army, with French involvement, attacked southern parts of the country. On 8 November the Czechoslovak Army attacked northern parts of Hungary, and on 2 December the Romanian Army started to attack the eastern (Transylvanian) parts of Hungary. It caused Treaty of Trianon where Hungary lost 72% of its traditional territory, and 1/3 of ethnic Hungarian population came under foreign rule.

In 1919 Jews estabilished a short lived communist Kun goverment, when many christian priests were killed, leading intellectuals (Members of Hungarian Academy od Sciences had to left the country due to persecution. Read about red terror. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Terror

In 1948, they estabilshed the infamous communist terror secret police: The so-called ÁVH
This is not what I asked...pay attention, it is not even what you asked. You asked if religious freedom was invented in Hungary and you were kind enough to give a link for those who may not understand the term "religious freedom". I provided you with a link which shows this is ...wrong.

This is not what I asked...pay attention, it is not even what you asked. You asked if religious freedom was invented in Hungary and you were kind enough to give a link for those who may not understand the term "religious freedom". I provided you with a link which shows this is ...wrong.

Your link is wrong and not accurate. And I can not understand which era do you think. About Nazi era? There were no religious freedom in nazi era or in soviet occupation communist era. Or What did you want to talk about?

Your link is wrong and not accurate. And I can not understand which era do you think. About Nazi era? There were no religious freedom in nazi era or in soviet occupation communist era. Or What did you want to talk about?
No, my link is correct....it is you who are inaccurate. So, I ask again, after reading the link I provided...do you still argue religious freedom was invented in Hungary. Please do not derail the question with other information.

No, my link is correct....it is you who are inaccurate. So, I ask again, after reading the link I provided...do you still argue religious freedom was invented in Hungary. Please do not derail the question with other information.

Yes it was invented in Hungary, It was created in 1568. The date and numbers are stubborn things. Deal with it!

Yes it was invented in Hungary, It was created in 1568. The date and numbers are stubborn things. Deal with it!
Please calm down. You read my link, it is accurate....so the numbers are neither here or there. Why do you say, if you read the link, Hungary invented religious freedom?...you are wrong and must learn to accept and deal with this.

Read books of academic historians about it: https://www.google.com/search?q=edi...=bks&tbo=1&gws_rd=ssl#tbm=bks&q=torda+freedom

Please prove it, that I was wrong.
The numbers of those killed and put into exile by religious intolerance over quite a period in Hungary speak for themselves...why will you not accept that which is known? I think I will not debate in this thread with you any more, you have no argument and you are clearly inaccurate. If you do not accept when you are wrong how do you expect to improve?

The numbers of those killed and put into exile by religious intolerance over quite a period in Hungary speak for themselves...why will you not accept that which is known? I think I will not debate in this thread with you any more, you have no argument and you are clearly inaccurate. If you do not accept when you are wrong how do you expect to improve?

Nazi period or communism does not matter. Because historic situations, governments type of rules estabilishments and LAWS are changeable things. The events of 20th century did not delete the historic event of 1568. Nobody is able to change the distant past. So, you can calm down.

How pathetic. The article even cited era of the Austrian Habsburg absolutist rule in Hungary, when the Habsburgs suppressed the Hungarians.

This thread has been viewed 7926 times.

Back